BBQ Source Forums: Do I need to season porcelain-enameled cast-iron grates? - BBQ Source Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Do I need to season porcelain-enameled cast-iron grates?

#1 User is offline   sbebenelli 

• Pip
  • Group: Grill Mates

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:36 AM

New member here and excited new Weber owner.

I just bought a E-310 with the porcelain-enameled cast-iron grates. Do I need to season these? I know porcelain coated grates do not need it. These appear not to be coated like others I have seen. If I didn't know any better I wouldn't even know they have porcelain on them. The instructions say nothing about the grates.

#2 User is offline   underthehood 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters
  • Interests:
    Fishing, Cooking/Grillin' and Chillin', Wrenching on cars, Finding bargains. Enjoying my grand son.

Posted 06 April 2010 - 09:16 AM

View Postsbebenelli, on Apr 6 2010, 08:36 AM, said:

New member here and excited new Weber owner.

I just bought a E-310 with the porcelain-enameled cast-iron grates. Do I need to season these? I know porcelain coated grates do not need it. These appear not to be coated like others I have seen. If I didn't know any better I wouldn't even know they have porcelain on them. The instructions say nothing about the grates.

This is a new coating process. It's still not a bad idea to use some oil or fat of some type on them but "seasoning" is not really required. NO harm done if you do though.
Weber Owner
Summit 450, Genesis II (red top), Q220 (Red Top), Big Joe, 22" Kettle, Q140Electric (gave to dad), Ducane 2004, Wolf BBQ 36C

#3 User is offline   TheNoodleIncident 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 April 2010 - 09:56 AM

View Postunderthehood, on Apr 6 2010, 10:16 AM, said:

This is a new coating process. It's still not a bad idea to use some oil or fat of some type on them but "seasoning" is not really required. NO harm done if you do though.

yeah, i have the same thing and "seasoned" it, even though it wasn't needed....just a quick coating of oil, and i repeat every now and then...i do it more for anti-sticking, but i guess it would help if i ever chipped the coating

btw, have we heard anything about the durability of weber's new coating process? apparently the reason they changed it was to reduce chipping, but i havent heard anyone comment on whether or not it is better

#4 User is offline   underthehood 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Fishing, Cooking/Grillin' and Chillin', Wrenching on cars, Finding bargains. Enjoying my grand son.

Posted 06 April 2010 - 10:48 AM

View PostTheNoodleIncident, on Apr 6 2010, 09:56 AM, said:

yeah, i have the same thing and "seasoned" it, even though it wasn't needed....just a quick coating of oil, and i repeat every now and then...i do it more for anti-sticking, but i guess it would help if i ever chipped the coating

btw, have we heard anything about the durability of weber's new coating process? apparently the reason they changed it was to reduce chipping, but i havent heard anyone comment on whether or not it is better

Actually no as other than my little 2 burner unit my Genesis has the SS U shaped grates and the Summit has the 9mm SS rod grates. My sister and BIL have 2 Q grills and have no issues with the coating and I got my kid a Q220 used and there is no issue with the coating on it either. Seems quite durable to me.
Weber Owner
Summit 450, Genesis II (red top), Q220 (Red Top), Big Joe, 22" Kettle, Q140Electric (gave to dad), Ducane 2004, Wolf BBQ 36C

#5 User is offline   Lawdog 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 April 2010 - 05:13 PM

Welcome. Love your name.

Quack. Boom.
The grillin' machine: Weber EP-320, special edition gray

The smoke machine: Traeger Texas BBQ 075

"Behold, I am going to send for many fishermen," declares the LORD, "and they will fish for them; and afterwards I will send for many hunters, and they will hunt them from every mountain and every hill and from the clefts of the rocks."

JER 16:16

#6 User is offline   sbebenelli 

• Pip
  • Group: Grill Mates

Posted 09 April 2010 - 09:44 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I still haven't had a chance to use the grill. Been busy building a deck and will finish that project this weekend.

I'm going to season the grates hopefully Sunday. Wanting to try my new grill out!

#7 User is offline   Tubby's Smokehouse 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Smoking/Grilling, Construction, Cross Country Racing, Billiards, Drummer.

Posted 09 April 2010 - 10:33 PM

I wouldn't bother trying to season porcelain grates or SS, you can get a coating of oil on them that will go rancid but the only metal grate that will absorb oil is Cast Iron..if you want to season the grate when there blazing hot before you drop the meat on them rub some frozen bacon fat on them

jim
Ducane Meridian 5 Burner, IR Rotto, Dual Side Burners, Dual Electric Warming Drawers.
CookShack Amerique Electric Smoker.
Chargriller Pro Offset Smoker.
Charmglow IR Drop in Sear Burner
New Braunfels Fire Box.

Visit Don And The Gang Here At The Source on Facebook
http://www.facebook....103762139697620

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users