BBQ Source Forums: SHOCKED literally - BBQ Source Forums

Jump to content

  • 3 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

SHOCKED literally

#1 User is offline   sillyrabbitt123 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Mates
  • Posts: 35
  • Joined: 14-May 10

Posted 15 May 2010 - 06:50 AM

Hi All-

great forum!

Love my brand new e320 genesis LP but i am having a problem which i dont know how to fix and it also concerns me.
i have the weber 7553 cover that goes with the grill. The problem is i get a shock every time i put the grill cover on and off.

Does this happen to anyone else? How can I stop it and you think i should be concerned if there was a ever a gas leak?

thanks
0

#2 User is offline   underthehood 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters
  • Posts: 1,641
  • Joined: 09-December 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NW Illinois
  • Interests:
    Fishing, Cooking/Grillin' and Chillin', Wrenching on cars, Finding bargains. Enjoying my grand son.

Posted 15 May 2010 - 07:53 AM

View Postsillyrabbitt123, on May 15 2010, 06:50 AM, said:

Hi All-

great forum!

Love my brand new e320 genesis LP but i am having a problem which i dont know how to fix and it also concerns me.
i have the weber 7553 cover that goes with the grill. The problem is i get a shock every time i put the grill cover on and off.

Does this happen to anyone else? How can I stop it and you think i should be concerned if there was a ever a gas leak?

thanks


It's static. Try keeping some contact with the metal grill or touching it quickly once in a while to discharge. Harmless
Weber Owner
Summit 450, Genesis II (red top), Q220 (Red Top), Big Joe, 22" Kettle, Q140Electric (gave to dad), Ducane 2004, Wolf BBQ 36C
0

#3 User is offline   sillyrabbitt123 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Mates
  • Posts: 35
  • Joined: 14-May 10

Posted 15 May 2010 - 08:06 AM

thanks i guess i was really just worried in the rare chance if there was a leak and a spark happened it wouldnt be good.

i have now also read a bunch of threads on to cover or not to cover and i am going with no cover.

thanks
0

#4 User is offline   richlife 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters
  • Posts: 2,293
  • Joined: 25-February 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Near Pittsboro NC
  • Interests:
    Woodworking, my daughter's family (2 grandsons), my wife of 44 years, the grilling/smoking life, Affenpinshers Dante (my Tonto) and Mia (who after 2 years still don't trust NOBODY :<), Tar Heel sports, music and home theater.

Posted 15 May 2010 - 08:20 AM

View Postunderthehood, on May 15 2010, 08:53 AM, said:

It's static. Try keeping some contact with the metal grill or touching it quickly once in a while to discharge. Harmless


Don't worry IF there is no gas leak. See if you can ground your grill -- run a thick copper wire to you pipes, a deep buried copper stake, etc. (NOT your gas line!). Or get a cloth cover. Rich
DID YOU KNOW?: To see ALL recent BBQ Source posts since your last visit, click on "View New Content" at the top of the page.
If this post was fun or helpful, consider a donation to The BBQ Source .

UNC Tar Heel '69, '75 -- Retired computer guy, Woodworker/carver
- Weber Genesis EP-330 (Brick Red) w/ SS cabinet and table extensions, 18.5 Weber Smokey Mountain Smoker (2010 Model) / WSM Egg
0

#5 User is offline   shelly 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters
  • Posts: 3,037
  • Joined: 12-July 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Carmel Valley, CA
  • Interests:
    Feeding Alice: A Love Story now available. Please visit my web site.

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:37 AM

View Postrichlife, on May 15 2010, 06:20 AM, said:

Don't worry IF there is no gas leak. See if you can ground your grill -- run a thick copper wire to you pipes, a deep buried copper stake, etc. (NOT your gas line!). Or get a cloth cover. Rich


But why would he be getting static electricity when he touches his grill when nobody else has experienced that, or at least, it has not been posted?

I've never heard of grounding an lp grill. I know that I move mine in and out of it's resting place whenever I grill. A grounding wire would just get in the way and wouldn't solve his problem.

Does the grill sit on a wooden deck, metal deck, grass, as this might be contributing to the static electrcity.

Or maybe it's the OP's shoes? There has got to be an explanation. Is there anything electric on the grill? The ignition? There may be a short somewhere if so.

Shelly
FE PG500 pellet grill with charbroiler
Weber 2008 Summit S-470
My Cookbook--Feeding Alice: A Love Story
**********************************
Past Grills: Tec Cherokee Fr IR, GMG DB pellet grill, Big Green Egg, UltraSear IR, Masterbuilt Smoker, Old Smokey, New Brunsfeld Smoker, Weber Genesis 1000, Sears Crossray IR, Fuego Element, Weber Kettle
0

#6 User is offline   sillyrabbitt123 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Mates
  • Posts: 35
  • Joined: 14-May 10

Posted 15 May 2010 - 11:31 AM

Not sure why I am getting. i really think its the cover [on the underneath side material] but not sure. it sits on a stone type patio. i was going to move it on the grass and see if that helps but i am now thinking that i wont cover it.

but i do plan on using it all year round and not sure how it will hold up overtime. but again some of the other threads it seems people swear by never covering it .

it could be the shoes not a bad thought i usually where these rubber soled bottom flip flop type shoes.

thanks
0

#7 User is offline   Ronald 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 4,284
  • Joined: 30-May 04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Mid-Atlantic/Delmarva
  • Interests:
    Fishing, Cooking

Posted 15 May 2010 - 12:42 PM

View Postshelly, on May 15 2010, 10:37 AM, said:

But why would he be getting static electricity when he touches his grill when nobody else has experienced that, or at least, it has not been posted?

I've never heard of grounding an lp grill. I know that I move mine in and out of it's resting place whenever I grill. A grounding wire would just get in the way and wouldn't solve his problem.

Does the grill sit on a wooden deck, metal deck, grass, as this might be contributing to the static electrcity.

Or maybe it's the OP's shoes? There has got to be an explanation. Is there anything electric on the grill? The ignition? There may be a short somewhere if so.

Shelly

Shelly
Im with you on this
I have never heard of it.
Makes me wonder if his grill is on a deck with some type of rug or carpet
SUPPORT THE BBQ SOURCE

2008 Weber Spirit SP320 + Weber Cast Iron Griddle
2012 Char-griller Akorn Steel Kamado
Coleman Roadtrip Sport grill
Happy owner of a Great Outdoors Ironware Gas Grill A05714W(a CFM company) retired to brother in-law



Go RavensPosted Image


Super Bowl XXXV, XLVII CHAMPIONS
0

#8 User is offline   shelly 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters
  • Posts: 3,037
  • Joined: 12-July 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Carmel Valley, CA
  • Interests:
    Feeding Alice: A Love Story now available. Please visit my web site.

Posted 15 May 2010 - 12:56 PM

View Postsillyrabbitt123, on May 15 2010, 09:31 AM, said:

Not sure why I am getting. i really think its the cover [on the underneath side material] but not sure

thanks


I use a Weber cover with the soft underside material. Grill sits on a wooden deck. I am usually barefoot or wear Birkenstocks and always covder the grill each night once it cools down.

Never any static electricity to shock me.

Why not call Weber and see if they have an answer for you?

Shelly
FE PG500 pellet grill with charbroiler
Weber 2008 Summit S-470
My Cookbook--Feeding Alice: A Love Story
**********************************
Past Grills: Tec Cherokee Fr IR, GMG DB pellet grill, Big Green Egg, UltraSear IR, Masterbuilt Smoker, Old Smokey, New Brunsfeld Smoker, Weber Genesis 1000, Sears Crossray IR, Fuego Element, Weber Kettle
0

#9 User is offline   Opusx324 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Mates
  • Posts: 54
  • Joined: 03-April 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Versailles KY
  • Interests:
    Golf<br />Fine Bourbons<br />Fine Single Malts<br />Fine Hand Rolled Cigars<br />

Posted 15 May 2010 - 01:23 PM

On my old Char Broil I purchased the matching grill cover from Lowes, it was almost a canvas type material. I had this happen several times when covering the grill in the evening, mostly cold or cool nights. Never any type of issue, just a quick static discharge, if I touched the grill as I started to place the cover on it never happen. I think is was due the the type of cover and the weather related to how much static electricty was in the air.
Nothing Better than a Good Steak
Woodford Reserve on the Rocks
And A fine hand rolled Cigar to finsh

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have" (Gerald Ford)
0

#10 User is offline   richlife 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters
  • Posts: 2,293
  • Joined: 25-February 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Near Pittsboro NC
  • Interests:
    Woodworking, my daughter's family (2 grandsons), my wife of 44 years, the grilling/smoking life, Affenpinshers Dante (my Tonto) and Mia (who after 2 years still don't trust NOBODY :<), Tar Heel sports, music and home theater.

Posted 15 May 2010 - 01:25 PM

View Postshelly, on May 15 2010, 01:56 PM, said:

I use a Weber cover with the soft underside material. Grill sits on a wooden deck. I am usually barefoot or wear Birkenstocks and always covder the grill each night once it cools down.

Never any static electricity to shock me.

Why not call Weber and see if they have an answer for you?

Shelly


Yeah, I think that's a good first place.

Grounding MIGHT be a solution (if feasible), but as I was travelling to class I started thinking about all the questions you asked, Shelly. Especially why it never came up before (because it's not a problem ;) ). One thing I was wondering, silly, is whether you've gotten shocked when the grill was NOT covered.

A more simple solution may be to attach a short unconnected wire from the cover to the ground -- that may prevent a charge from accumulating. Rich
DID YOU KNOW?: To see ALL recent BBQ Source posts since your last visit, click on "View New Content" at the top of the page.
If this post was fun or helpful, consider a donation to The BBQ Source .

UNC Tar Heel '69, '75 -- Retired computer guy, Woodworker/carver
- Weber Genesis EP-330 (Brick Red) w/ SS cabinet and table extensions, 18.5 Weber Smokey Mountain Smoker (2010 Model) / WSM Egg
0

#11 User is offline   shelly 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters
  • Posts: 3,037
  • Joined: 12-July 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Carmel Valley, CA
  • Interests:
    Feeding Alice: A Love Story now available. Please visit my web site.

Posted 15 May 2010 - 02:01 PM

View Postrichlife, on May 15 2010, 11:25 AM, said:

Yeah, I think that's a good first place.

One thing I was wondering, silly, is whether you've gotten shocked when the grill was NOT covered.
Rich


No.

But I'm completely shocked that I can get out of bed each morning. ;)

Shelly
FE PG500 pellet grill with charbroiler
Weber 2008 Summit S-470
My Cookbook--Feeding Alice: A Love Story
**********************************
Past Grills: Tec Cherokee Fr IR, GMG DB pellet grill, Big Green Egg, UltraSear IR, Masterbuilt Smoker, Old Smokey, New Brunsfeld Smoker, Weber Genesis 1000, Sears Crossray IR, Fuego Element, Weber Kettle
0

#12 User is offline   sillyrabbitt123 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Mates
  • Posts: 35
  • Joined: 14-May 10

Posted 15 May 2010 - 07:27 PM

thanks all for trying to help!

1- No dont get shocked from the grill. only when cover is involved.
2- it might have been a little chilly at night but i also used in the day when warmer out and got shocked at both times of day.
3- I did call weber and they had nothing to say they didnt know and didnt hear about it before but said they would look into.

if i return the cover do i need a new one? how long could the grill last with out a cover through rain, snow, sleet and sun?

thanks!!
0

#13 User is offline   Tubby's Smokehouse 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters
  • Posts: 5,904
  • Joined: 21-February 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California High Desert
  • Interests:
    Smoking/Grilling, Construction, Cross Country Racing, Billiards, Drummer.

Posted 15 May 2010 - 07:31 PM

View Postsillyrabbitt123, on May 15 2010, 05:27 PM, said:

thanks all for trying to help!

1- No dont get shocked from the grill. only when cover is involved.
2- it might have been a little chilly at night but i also used in the day when warmer out and got shocked at both times of day.
3- I did call weber and they had nothing to say they didnt know and didnt hear about it before but said they would look into.

if i return the cover do i need a new one? how long could the grill last with out a cover through rain, snow, sleet and sun?

thanks!!

Silly I dont know what its called but there are static sprays you get for your laundry, you get at the grocery store spray some inside the cover and it will go away..........
My wife used some inside her car for cloth seats cause she would get a little zap when leaving the car


jim
Ducane Meridian 5 Burner, IR Rotto, Dual Side Burners, Dual Electric Warming Drawers.
CookShack Amerique Electric Smoker.
Chargriller Pro Offset Smoker.
Charmglow IR Drop in Sear Burner
New Braunfels Fire Box.

Visit Don And The Gang Here At The Source on Facebook
http://www.facebook....103762139697620
0

#14 User is offline   richlife 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters
  • Posts: 2,293
  • Joined: 25-February 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Near Pittsboro NC
  • Interests:
    Woodworking, my daughter's family (2 grandsons), my wife of 44 years, the grilling/smoking life, Affenpinshers Dante (my Tonto) and Mia (who after 2 years still don't trust NOBODY :<), Tar Heel sports, music and home theater.

Posted 15 May 2010 - 08:57 PM

View PostTubby's Smokehouse, on May 15 2010, 08:31 PM, said:

Silly I dont know what its called but there are static sprays you get for your laundry, you get at the grocery store spray some inside the cover and it will go away..........
My wife used some inside her car for cloth seats cause she would get a little zap when leaving the car

jim


Now THAT's thinking outside the W/D box! ;)

I still think it's weird that it's happening at all...

And silly Shelly, that was for silly wabbit. :P Rich
DID YOU KNOW?: To see ALL recent BBQ Source posts since your last visit, click on "View New Content" at the top of the page.
If this post was fun or helpful, consider a donation to The BBQ Source .

UNC Tar Heel '69, '75 -- Retired computer guy, Woodworker/carver
- Weber Genesis EP-330 (Brick Red) w/ SS cabinet and table extensions, 18.5 Weber Smokey Mountain Smoker (2010 Model) / WSM Egg
0

#15 User is offline   sillyrabbitt123 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Mates
  • Posts: 35
  • Joined: 14-May 10

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:08 PM

Thanks Jim/All. Thats a great idea i will get a can of the static guard.

off topic sort of: am I "silly" to just give up and not use a cover at all?

thanks!
0

Share this topic:


  • 3 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users