BBQ Source Forums: how to remove quick disconnect from propane tank - BBQ Source Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

how to remove quick disconnect from propane tank

#1 User is offline   azgriller 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Mates

Posted 28 May 2010 - 11:45 PM

I have the quick disconnect adapter coupling, as shown here:

http://www.tools.unistores.com/index.php?c...=2&pid=9727

The problem is that I bought a grill with the newer style connector, which doesn't work with the disconnect. I would like to remove the disconnect coupling to the propane tank, but don't know how. I haven't found instructions on the internet either.

There isn't anything like a nut for a wrench to grab onto, so I'm not sure how I could turn it. Since the lip turns either way I cannot just grab it an turn -- somehow it needs to be locked so that it doesn't rotate.

Does anybody know how to do this?

#2 User is offline   Tubby's Smokehouse 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters
  • Interests:
    Smoking/Grilling, Construction, Cross Country Racing, Billiards, Drummer.

Posted 29 May 2010 - 02:00 AM

azgriller, on May 28 2010, 09:45 PM, said:

I have the quick disconnect adapter coupling, as shown here:

http://www.tools.unistores.com/index.php?c...=2&pid=9727

The problem is that I bought a grill with the newer style connector, which doesn't work with the disconnect. I would like to remove the disconnect coupling to the propane tank, but don't know how. I haven't found instructions on the internet either.

There isn't anything like a nut for a wrench to grab onto, so I'm not sure how I could turn it. Since the lip turns either way I cannot just grab it an turn -- somehow it needs to be locked so that it doesn't rotate.

Does anybody know how to do this?

Pull on it Az slide the coupler back and pull, hell slide the coupler back and it will pop off
Ducane Meridian 5 Burner, IR Rotto, Dual Side Burners, Dual Electric Warming Drawers.
CookShack Amerique Electric Smoker.
Chargriller Pro Offset Smoker.
Charmglow IR Drop in Sear Burner
New Braunfels Fire Box.

Visit Don And The Gang Here At The Source on Facebook
http://www.facebook....103762139697620

#3 User is offline   azgriller 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 May 2010 - 03:11 AM

Tubby's Smokehouse, on May 29 2010, 03:00 AM, said:

Pull on it Az slide the coupler back and pull, hell slide the coupler back and it will pop off

It won't pop off because it's threaded into the propane gas bottle's inner threads. The snap ring has no problem rotating when it is slide backwards or forwards. In that picture the rotating part is the one with the plastic tie down.

#4 User is offline   Opusx324 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Golf<br />Fine Bourbons<br />Fine Single Malts<br />Fine Hand Rolled Cigars<br />

Posted 29 May 2010 - 06:12 AM

AZ

It looks pretty much the same as an air hose coupler, if so all you need to do is put a set of vice grips on the outer ring that slides back and turn to the left to remove it.
Nothing Better than a Good Steak
Woodford Reserve on the Rocks
And A fine hand rolled Cigar to finsh

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have" (Gerald Ford)

#5 User is offline   Sink 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    I'm a smokaholic. I own many grills/smokers. Trying to cut back but having a hard time. <br />I'm a shriner and ride on a competition motorcycle drill team. <br />Family comes first!

Posted 29 May 2010 - 11:28 PM

The piece in the tank is left hand thread. There is a special tool to take it out. If you take it to the propane supplier, they will have the tool. I have a plastic one that's made to break off when the correct torque is applied to install it. I didn't let it break and have been able to remove a couple of them with it. IIRC it is a square fitting but has to be made a certain way.

Your other option is to get the male piece for the hose end of the connector and keep using the tank the way it is.

Hope this helps!
Sink
When it's brown, it's cooking.... when it's black, IT'S DONE!!!!

Fire Dragon Kamado
Weber Genesis Gold Gas
MES
La Caja China with smoke pistol
Woodfire grill
The Good One Rodeo
Newspaper grill
Propane turkey fryer
Dual burner 110,000 BTU portable stove.
tons of bbq accessories
12X12 portable shelter
The list goes on and on and on......

Some people don't know their asses from a hole in the ground.... Don't let them help you dig a hole!

BBQ SOURCE STORE - Grill Parts and Accessories Or Donate to help Don with keeping this site ALIVE!

#6 User is offline   azgriller 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 May 2010 - 03:54 AM

Sink, on May 30 2010, 12:28 AM, said:

The piece in the tank is left hand thread. There is a special tool to take it out. If you take it to the propane supplier, they will have the tool. I have a plastic one that's made to break off when the correct torque is applied to install it. I didn't let it break and have been able to remove a couple of them with it. IIRC it is a square fitting but has to be made a certain way.

Your other option is to get the male piece for the hose end of the connector and keep using the tank the way it is.

Hope this helps!
Sink

Yes, you are right about the plastic thing. Unfortunately I tightened it until it broke, which is of course what we are supposed to do to get the torque correct.

I have a male adapter, but it goes to a female thread. Since it's the older style tank I'm not sure I can find female to female that fits a newer tank style regulator and adapter. Your option to take it to a propane dealer sounds like the only one that might work.

My tank is the older style but it does have the same outside thread as the new ones.

#7 User is offline   Sink 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    I'm a smokaholic. I own many grills/smokers. Trying to cut back but having a hard time. <br />I'm a shriner and ride on a competition motorcycle drill team. <br />Family comes first!

Posted 30 May 2010 - 07:06 AM

azgriller, on May 30 2010, 03:54 AM, said:

Yes, you are right about the plastic thing. Unfortunately I tightened it until it broke, which is of course what we are supposed to do to get the torque correct.

I have a male adapter, but it goes to a female thread. Since it's the older style tank I'm not sure I can find female to female that fits a newer tank style regulator and adapter. Your option to take it to a propane dealer sounds like the only one that might work.

My tank is the older style but it does have the same outside thread as the new ones.

Great AZ.... You know, a lot of hardware stores carry an amazing amount of fittings if you want to try and find the female to female piece. I really liked the quick disconnect that came on my original Weber Genesis 1000. Very quick and easy. I only go through about 3 tanks a year now since I use charcoal most of the time for flavor but it was very convient!

Glad I could help! It seemed you question was misunderstood which happens sometimes. Unless you have or have had a quick disconnect, you probably cant understand what you needed.

Have a GREAT Memorial weekend and don't forget the pictures of what you are cooking!!!!
Sinko tanko
When it's brown, it's cooking.... when it's black, IT'S DONE!!!!

Fire Dragon Kamado
Weber Genesis Gold Gas
MES
La Caja China with smoke pistol
Woodfire grill
The Good One Rodeo
Newspaper grill
Propane turkey fryer
Dual burner 110,000 BTU portable stove.
tons of bbq accessories
12X12 portable shelter
The list goes on and on and on......

Some people don't know their asses from a hole in the ground.... Don't let them help you dig a hole!

BBQ SOURCE STORE - Grill Parts and Accessories Or Donate to help Don with keeping this site ALIVE!

#8 User is offline   Abeach2bum 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 May 2010 - 12:28 PM

azgriller, on May 30 2010, 01:54 AM, said:

I never had any trouble getting mine out - just push the rotating slide lock back toward the tank, grab the exposed part with a pair of pliers, turn to the right (left handed thread) and it will loosen right up. Shouldn't be very tight to start with as it has an o-ring seal.

beach
Scott
Strada V - Barbeques Galore - Nexgrill Origin LP
4 main buners + one IR sear 60,000 btu
One IR rotisserie burner
One 12,000 btu side burner
Bradley Digital 4 Rack Smoker
MES 30" Smoker Returned after one use - POJ

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic