• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

WSM 22" smoker "mod"

#1 User is offline   grillguy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters

Posted 31 May 2010 - 02:23 PM

After complaining about how much charcoal the WSM 22" uses up if I'm only doing a little bit of food, I came up with this little idea.

Posted Image

The paver bricks were 88 cents at Home Depot. They didn't have regular red clay bricks, so I got these. Eight worked with just a little overlap, and I figure I saved about 25% of the charcoal I'd normally use. Sure, I could use one chimney's worth and put the 2 racks of ribs on the Performer, but I figured in the effort of science and modding... :lol:

Happy Memorial Day all!

dustin
http://www.dustin.com
Weber Summit 620 NG 2007
Weber Performer 2007 with rotisserie
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5" Cooker 2009
Weber Go-Anywhere Gas
Bayou Classic outdoor LP turkey fryer 2003
Masterbuilt indoor electric fryer 2006

Oh, yeah... wife, son, dog.

#2 User is offline   Kurt_s 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    General Foodie (Gourmet, Grilling, Yes)<br />Golf<br />Automobiles (Love my BMWs)<br />Audio (music)/Video (movies) <br />Reading and Learning<br />Science and Medicine<br />Being a great Dad and Husband

Posted 01 June 2010 - 11:35 AM

View Postgrillguy, on May 31 2010, 12:23 PM, said:

After complaining about how much charcoal the WSM 22" uses up if I'm only doing a little bit of food, I came up with this little idea.

Posted Image

The paver bricks were 88 cents at Home Depot. They didn't have regular red clay bricks, so I got these. Eight worked with just a little overlap, and I figure I saved about 25% of the charcoal I'd normally use. Sure, I could use one chimney's worth and put the 2 racks of ribs on the Performer, but I figured in the effort of science and modding... :)

Happy Memorial Day all!

dustin

How did it work?
BBQ SOURCE STORE - the BEST PLACE to buy parts for your Grill!
http://www.bbqsource...merce/index.php

Weber Summit S470 - April 2010
Weber Genesis 1000 - Circa ~1990

#3 User is offline   richlife 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Woodworking, my daughter's family (2 grandsons), my wife of 44 years, the grilling/smoking life, Affenpinshers Dante (my Tonto) and Mia (who after 2 years still don't trust NOBODY :<), Tar Heel sports, music and home theater.

Posted 01 June 2010 - 12:08 PM

View Postgrillguy, on May 31 2010, 03:23 PM, said:

Posted Image

The paver bricks were 88 cents at Home Depot. They didn't have regular red clay bricks, so I got these. Eight worked with just a little overlap, and I figure I saved about 25% of the charcoal I'd normally use. Sure, I could use one chimney's worth and put the 2 racks of ribs on the Performer, but I figured in the effort of science and modding... :)

Happy Memorial Day all!

dustin

Good thinking, Dustin! :blink: I may well try that myself even in my 18.5. I'd rather have a deeper set of coals than a wide shallow set for a shorter smoke. Rich
DID YOU KNOW?: To see ALL recent BBQ Source posts since your last visit, click on "View New Content" at the top of the page.
If this post was fun or helpful, consider a donation to The BBQ Source .

UNC Tar Heel '69, '75 -- Retired computer guy, Woodworker/carver
- Weber Genesis EP-330 (Brick Red) w/ SS cabinet and table extensions, 18.5 Weber Smokey Mountain Smoker (2010 Model) / WSM Egg

#4 User is offline   grillguy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 June 2010 - 12:44 PM

Hey all,

The concept is valid, but the day I chose was poor picking. I maintained 225-250* for 3 hours easily, just like having the regular amount of briquettes. But then we had a 30 minute thunder storm that brought temps down to 150*. I needed to finish the ribs inside in the oven, but a few hours later I went back outside and the smoker was still at 150*. So as far as holding temp it seemed to work fine. Haven't had time to clean up yet to see if the stones were affected any... I'm no mason, but I can't imagine they can be vulnerable to any damage.

Hope it works for others!

Good grilling,

dustin
http://www.dustin.com
Weber Summit 620 NG 2007
Weber Performer 2007 with rotisserie
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5" Cooker 2009
Weber Go-Anywhere Gas
Bayou Classic outdoor LP turkey fryer 2003
Masterbuilt indoor electric fryer 2006

Oh, yeah... wife, son, dog.

#5 User is offline   Tubby's Smokehouse 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Smoking/Grilling, Construction, Cross Country Racing, Billiards, Drummer.

Posted 01 June 2010 - 01:12 PM

View Postgrillguy, on Jun 1 2010, 10:44 AM, said:

Hey all,

The concept is valid, but the day I chose was poor picking. I maintained 225-250* for 3 hours easily, just like having the regular amount of briquettes. But then we had a 30 minute thunder storm that brought temps down to 150*. I needed to finish the ribs inside in the oven, but a few hours later I went back outside and the smoker was still at 150*. So as far as holding temp it seemed to work fine. Haven't had time to clean up yet to see if the stones were affected any... I'm no mason, but I can't imagine they can be vulnerable to any damage.

Hope it works for others!

Good grilling,

dustin

Thats a good idea you came up with Dustin, confines your coal space and that 150F you came back to in the rain was most likely the heat retention from the bricks and your right you will hit the lottery a dozen times before you damage the bricks, I would keep those same ones because they will get seasoned as you use them and add some flave to your smoke

jim
Ducane Meridian 5 Burner, IR Rotto, Dual Side Burners, Dual Electric Warming Drawers.
CookShack Amerique Electric Smoker.
Chargriller Pro Offset Smoker.
Charmglow IR Drop in Sear Burner
New Braunfels Fire Box.

Visit Don And The Gang Here At The Source on Facebook
http://www.facebook....103762139697620

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users