BBQ Source Forums: New gas grill, how to prep for first use? - BBQ Source Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New gas grill, how to prep for first use?

#1 User is offline   larrysb 

• PipPip
  • Group: Grill Mates

Posted 01 June 2010 - 07:39 PM

I put together a new Genesis EP320 last night (yay!). It has the stainless grates and flavorizer bars. They seem to have a filmy coating on them, perhaps the factory coated with either a preservative or vegetable oil.

It's all ready to fire up, so what should I do before actually cooking on it? The Weber instructions are silent on this topic. Just crank it up and let it burn off for a good ten minutes on high to get it clean or something more involved?

#2 User is offline   Tubby's Smokehouse 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters
  • Interests:
    Smoking/Grilling, Construction, Cross Country Racing, Billiards, Drummer.

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:25 PM

View Postlarrysb, on Jun 1 2010, 05:39 PM, said:

I put together a new Genesis EP320 last night (yay!). It has the stainless grates and flavorizer bars. They seem to have a filmy coating on them, perhaps the factory coated with either a preservative or vegetable oil.

It's all ready to fire up, so what should I do before actually cooking on it? The Weber instructions are silent on this topic. Just crank it up and let it burn off for a good ten minutes on high to get it clean or something more involved?

http://www.bbqsource-forums.com/invboard/i...?showtopic=6815
Ducane Meridian 5 Burner, IR Rotto, Dual Side Burners, Dual Electric Warming Drawers.
CookShack Amerique Electric Smoker.
Chargriller Pro Offset Smoker.
Charmglow IR Drop in Sear Burner
New Braunfels Fire Box.

Visit Don And The Gang Here At The Source on Facebook
http://www.facebook....103762139697620

#3 User is offline   NoviceinD 

• PipPip

Posted 02 June 2010 - 10:02 AM

View Postlarrysb, on Jun 1 2010, 07:39 PM, said:

I just got the 310 and had the same question -here is my thread

http://www.bbqsource-forums.com/invboard/i...?showtopic=6973
Newbies on the Grill - (formerly DebinD)
Weber Genesis E-310

#4 User is offline   Eric V 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    All sports

Posted 02 June 2010 - 11:25 AM

The only thing I would add, is that you do not need all of the burners on high to get rid of the coatings on the interior of your grill.
You can put the burners on high for five minutes and then if needed, turn the knobs down so that your temperature gauge reads around 500 degrees. Then keep it there for 15-20 minutes.

500 degrees just happens to be the temperature most cleaning cycles use if you have a self cleaning oven. My Ducane has gotten so hot, that the gauge came around to 0. I don't know how hot that is, but, I am sure it is dangerous.

You are just trying to get the oils off of the internal parts. Afterwords, you can season it any way you like.
Eric V
"It's all part of the plan"
Ducane Affinity 4400 4400 Review
Weber Q 200 with cart
Masterbilt 7 in one Smoker
Bayou Turkey Fryer
2012 Dodge Durango "CREW HEMI"
Visit My Website
1991 Mako 210 Walk Around "Tee-Time"
Visit Erics Blog Here

#5 User is offline   larrysb 

• PipPip

Posted 02 June 2010 - 03:41 PM

Thanks for the tips. I figure I need to wash everything first, wasn't sure how or if stainless needs seasoning before use. Definitely need to burn off any remaining machine oil from manufacture.

I would kind of hope that Weber would be clueful enough to coat everything with food grade oils and preservatives, but I can't count on it.

#6 User is offline   Tubby's Smokehouse 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Smoking/Grilling, Construction, Cross Country Racing, Billiards, Drummer.

Posted 02 June 2010 - 08:57 PM

View Postlarrysb, on Jun 2 2010, 01:41 PM, said:

Thanks for the tips. I figure I need to wash everything first, wasn't sure how or if stainless needs seasoning before use. Definitely need to burn off any remaining machine oil from manufacture.

I would kind of hope that Weber would be clueful enough to coat everything with food grade oils and preservatives, but I can't count on it.

even if they did the steel supplier didn't i would burn it all off first
Ducane Meridian 5 Burner, IR Rotto, Dual Side Burners, Dual Electric Warming Drawers.
CookShack Amerique Electric Smoker.
Chargriller Pro Offset Smoker.
Charmglow IR Drop in Sear Burner
New Braunfels Fire Box.

Visit Don And The Gang Here At The Source on Facebook
http://www.facebook....103762139697620

#7 User is offline   larrysb 

• PipPip

Posted 03 June 2010 - 02:17 AM

Finally got a chance to do the burn off tonight. First tried washing the grates off, but the sticky residue remained even after washing in the sink.

So I ran up the grill for an hour at about 450-500 degrees. It started out with that hot machine-oil smell. At the end of the cycle, the grill had no discernible odor at all. Let it cool off with the lid open and air out. Everything is smooth and dry, no sticky feeling.

Looks like she's ready to cook whenever I am. :) Can't wait, the heat distribution looks very even and generous. A step up from the old Genesis Gold. The G.G. was/is a great grill, but it had some flaws, especially with heat distribution.

#8 User is offline   richlife 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Woodworking, my daughter's family (2 grandsons), my wife of 44 years, the grilling/smoking life, Affenpinshers Dante (my Tonto) and Mia (who after 2 years still don't trust NOBODY :<), Tar Heel sports, music and home theater.

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:44 AM

View Postlarrysb, on Jun 3 2010, 03:17 AM, said:

Finally got a chance to do the burn off tonight. First tried washing the grates off, but the sticky residue remained even after washing in the sink.

So I ran up the grill for an hour at about 450-500 degrees. It started out with that hot machine-oil smell. At the end of the cycle, the grill had no discernible odor at all. Let it cool off with the lid open and air out. Everything is smooth and dry, no sticky feeling.

Looks like she's ready to cook whenever I am. :lol: Can't wait, the heat distribution looks very even and generous. A step up from the old Genesis Gold. The G.G. was/is a great grill, but it had some flaws, especially with heat distribution.

Very good, Larry. And WELCOME to the BBQ Source! But now we get down to the tough love part of this group. It's been three days!! And you're still talking about "Looks like she's ready to cook whenever I am."! What's holding you up man?!! And you didn't even provide pics of the burn off!!! That may be the most exciting thing you'll ever do on your grill!!!!!! (I told you we're TOUGH!)

Now let's step back to the level of "reasonable". I see that you're posting at 3:17am and you claim "whenever...". WHAT ELSE DO YOU HAVE TO DO AT 3:17 AM !! Now let's see if you can get yourself back on our good side and produce, brother, produce!

Rich :lol: :lol: :lol: :)
DID YOU KNOW?: To see ALL recent BBQ Source posts since your last visit, click on "View New Content" at the top of the page.
If this post was fun or helpful, consider a donation to The BBQ Source .

UNC Tar Heel '69, '75 -- Retired computer guy, Woodworker/carver
- Weber Genesis EP-330 (Brick Red) w/ SS cabinet and table extensions, 18.5 Weber Smokey Mountain Smoker (2010 Model) / WSM Egg

#9 User is offline   ELIM 

• Pip

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:43 AM

Also picked up an EP-320 but still waiting for it to arrive. Great info here and around this forum as I've been researching this seasoning/prep topic....can't wait! :)
- Weber Genesis EP-320, Steel Gray (2010)
- Weber Smokey Joe
- Masterbuilt Kingsford Tabletop Grill

#10 User is offline   richlife 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Woodworking, my daughter's family (2 grandsons), my wife of 44 years, the grilling/smoking life, Affenpinshers Dante (my Tonto) and Mia (who after 2 years still don't trust NOBODY :<), Tar Heel sports, music and home theater.

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:55 AM

View PostELIM, on Jun 3 2010, 11:43 AM, said:

Also picked up an EP-320 but still waiting for it to arrive. Great info here and around this forum as I've been researching this seasoning/prep topic....can't wait! :lol:

Great, ELIM! Did we WELCOME you yet? (I'm trying to be better, Sink.)

Now my recommendation is that as soon as the grill is delivered you fire it up for burn off, season it, and get some good stuff cooking. Then when you're fully satisfied, assemble it. (And if it is to be delivered pre-assembled, so much the better! :) ) Rich

Edit: Nope, we didn't welcome you yet -- I'm the first (YEA!) -- "WELCOME"! Looks like your first post went to the Master Forge section.
DID YOU KNOW?: To see ALL recent BBQ Source posts since your last visit, click on "View New Content" at the top of the page.
If this post was fun or helpful, consider a donation to The BBQ Source .

UNC Tar Heel '69, '75 -- Retired computer guy, Woodworker/carver
- Weber Genesis EP-330 (Brick Red) w/ SS cabinet and table extensions, 18.5 Weber Smokey Mountain Smoker (2010 Model) / WSM Egg

#11 User is offline   ELIM 

• Pip

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:37 AM

View Postrichlife, on Jun 3 2010, 08:55 AM, said:

Great, ELIM! Did we WELCOME you yet? (I'm trying to be better, Sink.)

Now my recommendation is that as soon as the grill is delivered you fire it up for burn off, season it, and get some good stuff cooking. Then when you're fully satisfied, assemble it. (And if it is to be delivered pre-assembled, so much the better! :lol: ) Rich

Edit: Nope, we didn't welcome you yet -- I'm the first (YEA!) -- "WELCOME"! Looks like your first post went to the Master Forge section.

Thanks Rich! I was actually going to make an appropriate 1st intro thread when it arrives! ;)

Yes, I supported my local ACE store and they (the owner's son) offered to assemble and deliver. I'm usually one to assemble but I think I'll accept their generous offer. :P (The steel gray was out of stock so it's on order from the ACE warehouse).

Going to heed the great forum advice on the burn off, seasoning & GRILLING!! B)
- Weber Genesis EP-320, Steel Gray (2010)
- Weber Smokey Joe
- Masterbuilt Kingsford Tabletop Grill

#12 User is offline   larrysb 

• PipPip

Posted 03 June 2010 - 03:06 PM

LOL,

Well, being that we have cool nights, most of my neighbors sleep with their windows open, so haven't wanted to smoke up the neighborhood and be out rattling the grill around too much late at night. I work a lot of hard, long hours, so sometimes I don't get home until o-dark-thirty. Will be another long day for me, but I should be home in time to cook the ribeye that's in the fridge.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users