BBQ Source Forums: What is the Best way to Season a New Griddle? - BBQ Source Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What is the Best way to Season a New Griddle? Griddle care. Cleaning, Seasoning, Storage

#1 User is offline   Eric D 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:
    Things I like and have interest in are: Grilling with my Jen-air 720-0061-LP grill. Smoking all types of meat on my Great Outdoors LP smoker unit for family and friends. I like working on and flying aircraft, fixed wing and rotor wing. The best dog for me is a Doberman.<br /><br />I have fun here, at the BBQ Source Forums with all the great grilling, smoking and cooking, plus all the great people.

Posted 01 June 2006 - 05:42 AM

All you long time griddle users, how about some suggestions on how to season and care for your griddle?

Have you found anything that makes it more nonstick?

How do you clean it?

How do you store it?

Thanks,

Eric D :D
Grilling and cooking for friends and family is one of life's most treasured gifts!
BBQSource Forums

#2 User is offline   dwost 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters
  • Interests:
    European cars, skiing, home theater, landscaping, home remodeling, gardening, kayaking, boating anything outdoors!!!

Posted 01 June 2006 - 07:07 AM

Well, I use mine alot for breakfast so the bacon grease has done a fantastic job of keeping it non stick, seasoning it, and keeping it from rusting. All you really need to do is keep it well oiled during storage and you are set. I store mine underneath the grill on its side sitting on some paper towels. As for cleaning, I heat it up and wipe it down with an oil coated rag. TAkes off all the old stuff and leaves a nice thin coat of oil. When I'm finished I just wipe it down the same way. I've used it for veggies and steaks also. I prep it the same way for those as well. Love the griddle!!!! :D
Don

2004 Jenn-Air 720-0061 (3 burner)

Modifications

- cast SS burners
- upper/lower removable vent mod
- NG conversion: upgraded to 54,000 btu
- utensile hooks, rotisserie storage, internal rack, paper towel holder
- Nexgrill griddle

#3 User is offline   reddog 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Mates

Posted 01 June 2006 - 02:03 PM

Cast iron unlike stainless or aluminum is porus. For a new pot or griddle coat the entire pot or griddle cooking oil , place in the oven for an hour or two to season the cast iron. When done, cool and wipe off excess oil. Repeat for improved performance. It will get better with regular use. You can also do the seasoning on the grill if you choose.

I use a hard brass grill brush to remove charred material immediately after removing meat from the grill. Turn the burner off and allow to cool while you enjoy that great meal and glass of good wine. Finsh the clean up witih soap and water as needed and dry in the oven. Until you obtain a really good seasoning of the cast iron you may need to wipe down with cooking oil before storing.

#4 User is offline   Eric D 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Things I like and have interest in are: Grilling with my Jen-air 720-0061-LP grill. Smoking all types of meat on my Great Outdoors LP smoker unit for family and friends. I like working on and flying aircraft, fixed wing and rotor wing. The best dog for me is a Doberman.<br /><br />I have fun here, at the BBQ Source Forums with all the great grilling, smoking and cooking, plus all the great people.

Posted 01 June 2006 - 02:43 PM

Does it matter what type of oil? Vegetable, olive, peanut, lard???

Eric D
Grilling and cooking for friends and family is one of life's most treasured gifts!
BBQSource Forums

#5 User is offline   reddog 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Mates

Posted 01 June 2006 - 03:58 PM

I failed to mention that some cast iron now is sold "preseasoned" and ready for use. In which case simple wash with soap & water, wipe with tin layer of any cooking oil and proceed to use. In either case wash new cast iron to remove the protective coating applied by mfg. before doing the seasoning process.

Most recommend that oils high in saturated fats be used. Lard, bacon grease, or hydrogenated cooking oil (Crisco) can be used. Avoid adding an excessive amount of oil which can result in "gumming" the surface. If that happens simple wipe or scrape it down, add more oil and continue. If you season over an open burner or gas cooker for example be aware that the oil can ignite if over heated. In one case I witnessed this happen when a pereson unknowingly used a full pot of oil and a gas cooker.....Not Pretty!

#6 User is offline   Eric D 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:

Posted 01 June 2006 - 08:56 PM

reddog, on Jun 1 2006, 08:58 PM, said:

I failed to mention that some cast iron now is sold "preseasoned" and ready for use.
I purchased a preseasoned small griddle that I washed, oven dryed, and oiled before use per the instructions that came with it. Well, it really wasn't non stick for me. In fact the tuna steaks I tried to sear on it stuck really bad. Man, what a disapointment. I'll try to season it more before using it again. Maybe I should cook some bacon on it too?

Avoid adding an excessive amount of oil which can result in "gumming" the surface.
Yep, I've done this little trick too. I have a cast iron pot that ended up getting the gummes.

Thanks reddog for the suggestions,

Eric D
BBQSource Forums

#7 User is offline   takeahike66 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 June 2006 - 10:35 PM

reddog, on Jun 1 2006, 12:03 PM, said:

Cast iron unlike stainless or aluminum is porus. For a new pot or griddle coat the entire pot or griddle cooking oil , place in the oven for an hour or two to season the cast iron. When done, cool and wipe off excess oil. Repeat for improved performance. It will get better with regular use. You can also do the seasoning on the grill if you choose.

I use a hard brass grill brush to remove charred material immediately after removing meat from the grill. Turn the burner off and allow to cool while you enjoy that great meal and glass of good wine. Finsh the clean up witih soap and water as needed and dry in the oven. Until you obtain a really good seasoning of the cast iron you may need to wipe down with cooking oil before storing.

Mine is well seasoned Sunshine griddle, so I just give it a light spay or brush with EVOO while preheating. None of the items I cook on it really stick. After grilling, I just turn on the heat high and scrape it with the spaula, and maybe use some water. A quick wipe with paper towel to wipe off any loose particles that may remain. Because i have the 5 burner unit. I normally leave it in place on the grill. I don't really oil it after use. I have never washed it the washer, and it normally looks cleaner than the grates after brushing as described in this forum.

I have never done a blacken fish, but grill salmon and other fish on low to medium heat with a little EVOO. These have never stuck to the griddle.
This is my experience with the griddle.
Takeahike66
---------------------------------------------------
JennAir - 720-150LP - 5 burner, Sep 05
Ultra-Sear Portable IR Grill Nov 07
Char Broil Big Easy Oiless Fryer
Masterbuilt Electric Smoker WTFA brand, Nov 08
---------------------------------------------------

----- Accessories -----
- Sears SS Island end modules (2) - BBQ Grillware LED Grill Lights (2)
- JennAir Rotisserie w/ extra splits - E-Z Que Rotisserie 8"
- Maverick ET-72 Remote probe - Maverick OT-03 Oven Thermometer for smoking

----- Modifications -----
- Utensil hooks (10) - Remove built-in smoker box
- Hood ventilation Gap Covers - Wok Holder for side burner
- Sunshine Griddle - Customized SS grates to fit Sunshine Griddle
- Custom fitted center divider mod - Marshall two-stage regulator
- Fitted Manometer in gas line - Custom smoking rack (Shelly design)
- Rotisserie storage using existing back bolts, also used to store warming rack & grate

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users