BBQ Source Forums: Confused about lava rocks & ceramic briquettes - BBQ Source Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Confused about lava rocks & ceramic briquettes

#1 User is offline   impulse22281 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 June 2010 - 05:48 PM

Hi everyone, I figured since this is my first post, I might as well embarass myself....I just bought a grill. Originally I bought a Master Forge from Lowes, but after coming on here and seeing the terrible reviews it had, I returned it before using it, and got a Ducane 4100 from a grill place nearby.

My question...I'm totally new to grilling...everything that I read mentions that gas grills normally come with lava rocks or ceramic briquettes. I'm pretty sure that my grill didn't come with either. All it came with are these metal triangle shaped shields above the burners. Should I be buying lava rocks or ceramic briquettes before I start cooking? Can someone please spell it out for me?...LoL....

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: ducane.jpg

#2 User is offline   raceman 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters

Posted 19 June 2010 - 06:55 PM

Nope your fine ....fire it up
2007 Jenn-Air 720-0142 with added sear burner
22 1/2" Weber Kettle
Char Griller Pro

#3 User is offline   Tubby's Smokehouse 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Smoking/Grilling, Construction, Cross Country Racing, Billiards, Drummer.

Posted 19 June 2010 - 07:41 PM

View Postimpulse22281, on Jun 19 2010, 03:48 PM, said:

Hi everyone, I figured since this is my first post, I might as well embarass myself....I just bought a grill. Originally I bought a Master Forge from Lowes, but after coming on here and seeing the terrible reviews it had, I returned it before using it, and got a Ducane 4100 from a grill place nearby.

My question...I'm totally new to grilling...everything that I read mentions that gas grills normally come with lava rocks or ceramic briquettes. I'm pretty sure that my grill didn't come with either. All it came with are these metal triangle shaped shields above the burners. Should I be buying lava rocks or ceramic briquettes before I start cooking? Can someone please spell it out for me?...LoL....

Welcome Pulse: The triangle shaped thingys are in lew of the briquettes or lava rocks, they are called flame tammers or flavorizor bars, the are going to well, keep the flames down and when the juices hit them steam back up on the meat.

So I think I will use Races comment..........Fire It Up

Again Welcome that Ducane is a good grill and has a fantastic trouble free warranty, make sure you register it.

jim
Ducane Meridian 5 Burner, IR Rotto, Dual Side Burners, Dual Electric Warming Drawers.
CookShack Amerique Electric Smoker.
Chargriller Pro Offset Smoker.
Charmglow IR Drop in Sear Burner
New Braunfels Fire Box.

Visit Don And The Gang Here At The Source on Facebook
http://www.facebook....103762139697620

#4 User is offline   richlife 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Woodworking, my daughter's family (2 grandsons), my wife of 44 years, the grilling/smoking life, Affenpinshers Dante (my Tonto) and Mia (who after 2 years still don't trust NOBODY :<), Tar Heel sports, music and home theater.

Posted 19 June 2010 - 09:02 PM

You've gotten good responses, impulse. And you've made a very good choice! Enjoy your grill. Fire It Up and burn off any factory oils, then break it in with some good greasy meat and you're on your way! WELCOME and have fun! ;) Rich
DID YOU KNOW?: To see ALL recent BBQ Source posts since your last visit, click on "View New Content" at the top of the page.
If this post was fun or helpful, consider a donation to The BBQ Source .

UNC Tar Heel '69, '75 -- Retired computer guy, Woodworker/carver
- Weber Genesis EP-330 (Brick Red) w/ SS cabinet and table extensions, 18.5 Weber Smokey Mountain Smoker (2010 Model) / WSM Egg

#5 User is offline   impulse22281 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 June 2010 - 09:25 PM

Thanks everyone! I'll be firing up some burgers and steaks for Father's Day tomorrow....

#6 User is offline   old_grouch 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 June 2010 - 05:37 AM

View Postimpulse22281, on Jun 19 2010, 05:48 PM, said:

good luck wit the new grill
lava rocks & ceramic brickettes are from the 1900's dude
if you find yer gettin un-even heatin or major flare-ups wit yer machine give this topic a read over :)

http://www.bbqsource-forums.com/invboard/i...amp;hl=no-flare

#7 User is offline   Super 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 June 2010 - 06:38 AM

Good question, and you'll like the flame tamers much better than the lava rock I'm sure.
Nice grill BTW

Welcome!

Kevin

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users