• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Adding charcoal

#1 User is offline   Gnarlymutt 

• Pip
  • Group: Grill Mates

Posted 23 June 2010 - 03:08 PM

Quick question for those in the know...

When it comes to adding charcoal to a cooking grill, I'm aware that if using normal briquettes I'd want to fire them up and get 'em nice and hot prior to adding them to my existing coals.

If I'm using lump charcoal, I've heard I can just add the new charcoal in on top of the existing coals while the food is cooking?

I'd hate to ruin some pork chops or steak by being an idiot...

#2 User is offline   CPA_ESQ. 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters

Posted 23 June 2010 - 03:42 PM

you say you are cooking steak and pork chops.

I think you should start with enough charcoal (either lump or briquettes) to completely cook your food. If you have to add it while your steaks are still cooking - you may not have started with enough in the first place.

get yourself a nice big chimney starter Like the one below -- you fill that sucker up and you should have enough heat to do the job:

Weber Rapidfire

If you are grilling all day - and your first round of food comes off the grill, and your guests are busy eating - I would say that is a great time to reload your grill. I would say that you can add both lump or briq directly to your fire and give them both 5-10 minutes to get up to temp.)

When I use my smoker - I just throw on my lump charcoal to my existing fire.

#3 User is offline   Gnarlymutt 

• Pip
  • Group: Grill Mates

Posted 23 June 2010 - 04:21 PM

CPA,

Thanks for the response. I guess I should have clarified. I'd be utilizing enough charcoal initially for steaks/chops/etc.

Since there's plenty of cookspace on my grill and since it was designed to function as a smoker as well, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't endangering my ribs/brisket/shoulders by opening up the
coal door and tossing in new lump charcoal on top of my already burning stuff. Doesn't sound like it'll be an issue based on your last sentence.

For a rookie, I sure have dilusions of grandure... :angry:

#4 User is offline   raceman 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 June 2010 - 07:41 PM

I add to it all the time.. Some folks think you should light it first.. I dont I just add it when I need it.
2007 Jenn-Air 720-0142 with added sear burner
22 1/2" Weber Kettle
Char Griller Pro

#5 User is offline   CPA_ESQ. 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:54 AM

I got you now.

I add the charcoal to my smoker without lighting it. Just make sure that you add charcoal when your fire is still nice and hot. Don't wait until you only have 2-4 hot coals and a pile of ash - then the coal will take 4ever to light.

I put some bricks into my smoker to help retain / even out the heat - this seems to help maintain heat when there is a cool down from adding coal or moping the meat.

Here's another tip - try not to open up the top of the grill to check on your brisket/ ribs, etc.. get yourself a remote smoker thermometer - one that maintains the temp of the meat and the internal temp of the grill (This will help you time reloading of coal, and help keep you from peeking :)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users