BBQ Source Forums: adding a infrared searing burner to a 32" MM - BBQ Source Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

adding a infrared searing burner to a 32" MM

#1 User is offline   bluebird 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 06 June 2006 - 09:35 PM

I also just purchased the 32" MM from Sam's club.

I have made a few adjustments by adding a grate just above the SS flame arrestors, then placed a mixture of one package of char-dimonds and once package of hickory flavored char-briskets.

This helps the grill hold its heat in a wind along with holding down more flame.

I would like retro fit a infrared searing burner in replace of once of the stock SS burners, does any one know of a way to do this?

I'll try to take some pictures soon.

Thanks.

#2 User is offline   Eric D 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:
    Things I like and have interest in are: Grilling with my Jen-air 720-0061-LP grill. Smoking all types of meat on my Great Outdoors LP smoker unit for family and friends. I like working on and flying aircraft, fixed wing and rotor wing. The best dog for me is a Doberman.<br /><br />I have fun here, at the BBQ Source Forums with all the great grilling, smoking and cooking, plus all the great people.

Posted 08 June 2006 - 05:34 AM

bluebird, on Jun 6 2006, 10:35 PM, said:

Hi BlueBird,

Welcome to the BBQ Source Forums. To your question about adding a searing burner to your grill, click on this LINK which will take you to a lot of reading about installing one of these burners along with photos.

Things you have to think about, are you willing to give up 1/3 of your cooking surface for the sear burner? Does the cost make it worth the mod? What will it do to your grill warranty?

If you have any other topics that you have an interest in learning more about, try the search option you can find in the upper right of this screen. It is a super tool to find just about anything on this website about grilling. It is well worth the time to learn how to use.

Happy grilling and again welcome!

Eric D :rolleyes:
Grilling and cooking for friends and family is one of life's most treasured gifts!
BBQSource Forums

#3 User is offline   Old Bill 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters
  • Interests:
    Grilling, BBQ and smoking, Sausage making &amp; smoking, and curing and drying meat, <br /><br />Fishing, hunting, and woodworking...

Posted 31 July 2006 - 02:00 PM

:(

bluebird, on Jun 6 2006, 08:35 PM, said:

I have made a few adjustments by adding a grate just above the SS flame arrestors, then placed a mixture of one package of char-dimonds and once package of hickory flavored char-briskets.

This helps the grill hold its heat in a wind along with holding down more flame.

I would like retro fit a infrared searing burner in replace of once of the stock SS burners, does any one know of a way to do this?

I'll try to take some pictures soon.

Thanks.

My Member Mark is about 4 years old...3 burners, rotissere, and side burner..
I just bought a 8-1/2"x15-1/8" (33K BTU infrared burner) form "Solaronics" talked to Hosein Razmi at 1-800-223-5335 it cost about $120 + $30 if you want the mesh protecter...I will add it in place of one of my grills or the side burner. I live in Houston..so I will wait for cooler weather..lol
Guess what...two of tubes on one of my SS grills have split on the bottom and there is an old rusty rod inside..Old Bill
2002 Members Mark Y0101-XC LP Grill
3 Cast Iron 18K burners
Replacement solid 304 SS-Grates
10K BTU Rotisserie
Cast Iron Grate Size Fry Pan
Installed a infrared 33k Side Burner and shelf.
Redi-Smoke electric smoker (Old Smokey)
New Braunsfel Smoker
LPG Fish fryer
Portable IR Burner (Academy)
Sausage electric smoker
Two Lower Cabinets
Added heavy duty spit and rotisserie motor for 35 lbs. of meat!

#4 User is offline   Eric D 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Things I like and have interest in are: Grilling with my Jen-air 720-0061-LP grill. Smoking all types of meat on my Great Outdoors LP smoker unit for family and friends. I like working on and flying aircraft, fixed wing and rotor wing. The best dog for me is a Doberman.<br /><br />I have fun here, at the BBQ Source Forums with all the great grilling, smoking and cooking, plus all the great people.

Posted 31 July 2006 - 02:18 PM

Old Bill, on Jul 31 2006, 03:00 PM, said:

My Member Mark is about 4 years old...3 burners, rotissere, and side burner..
I just bought a 8-1/2"x15-1/8" (33K BTU infrared burner) form "Solaronics" talked to Hosein Razmi at 1-800-223-5335 it cost about $20 + $30 if you want the mesh protecter...I will add it in place of one of my grills or the side burner. I live in Houston..so I will wait for cooler weather..lol
Guess what...two of tubes on one of my SS grills have split on the bottom and there is an old rusty rod inside.
Hi Old Bill,

Welcome to the BBQ Source Forums.

Wow! $50 for the sear burner is quite a different price from a few years back. That is really great news. I might have to rethink about installing one again. Thanks for posting the price you got.

Wouldn’t the burners on your grill still be under warranty? If you haven’t already, I would give the Member Mark customer service a call. Part of the reason of getting a stainless steel grill is to avoid corrosion issue like what you are having.

Please keep us posted on your sear burner install. Better yet, if you don’t mind, how about a few photos?

Again, welcome to the group!

Eric D
Grilling and cooking for friends and family is one of life's most treasured gifts!
BBQSource Forums

#5 User is offline   takeahike66 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 August 2006 - 06:07 PM

Eric D, on Jul 31 2006, 12:18 PM, said:

Hi Old Bill,

Welcome to the BBQ Source Forums.

Wow! $50 for the sear burner is quite a different price from a few years back. That is really great news. I might have to rethink about installing one again. Thanks for posting the price you got.

Wouldn’t the burners on your grill still be under warranty? If you haven’t already, I would give the Member Mark customer service a call. Part of the reason of getting a stainless steel grill is to avoid corrosion issue like what you are having.

Please keep us posted on your sear burner install. Better yet, if you don’t mind, how about a few photos?

Again, welcome to the group!

Eric D

Eric,

You mistype/read the original quote, The price was $120 + $30, Not $20 + $30.

takeahike66
Takeahike66
---------------------------------------------------
JennAir - 720-150LP - 5 burner, Sep 05
Ultra-Sear Portable IR Grill Nov 07
Char Broil Big Easy Oiless Fryer
Masterbuilt Electric Smoker WTFA brand, Nov 08
---------------------------------------------------

----- Accessories -----
- Sears SS Island end modules (2) - BBQ Grillware LED Grill Lights (2)
- JennAir Rotisserie w/ extra splits - E-Z Que Rotisserie 8"
- Maverick ET-72 Remote probe - Maverick OT-03 Oven Thermometer for smoking

----- Modifications -----
- Utensil hooks (10) - Remove built-in smoker box
- Hood ventilation Gap Covers - Wok Holder for side burner
- Sunshine Griddle - Customized SS grates to fit Sunshine Griddle
- Custom fitted center divider mod - Marshall two-stage regulator
- Fitted Manometer in gas line - Custom smoking rack (Shelly design)
- Rotisserie storage using existing back bolts, also used to store warming rack & grate

#6 User is offline   Old Bill 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Grilling, BBQ and smoking, Sausage making &amp; smoking, and curing and drying meat, <br /><br />Fishing, hunting, and woodworking...

Posted 01 August 2006 - 09:29 PM

takeahike66, on Aug 1 2006, 06:07 PM, said:

Eric,

You mistype/read the original quote, The price was $120 + $30, Not $20 + $30.

takeahike66

Right guys the price is not cheap yet for a 33k BTU infrared burner...It cost $120 plus $30 for the mesh cover..I wrote a lot about it on this board...the thread M&M vrs. Jenn Aire...my plan to install it. My M&M is 2002 model so waranty is not an issue Eric. I corrected the Quote price but it did not take in Eric's reply..???

I am looking for some ss burners too...for mine are rusted badly..I settled for some from Sam's that are cast with an enamel coating for $24 each on line.. Search under grill burners...they have the model's listed for the M&M burner they carry..Have to buy them on line and have them shipped.
3 Cast Iron 18K burners
10K BTU Rotisserie
New Braunsfel Smoker
LPG Fish fryer
Sausage electric smoker
Two Lower Cabinets

#7 User is offline   Eric D 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:

Posted 05 August 2006 - 07:20 AM

Old Bill, on Aug 1 2006, 10:29 PM, said:

Right guys the price is not cheap yet for a 33k BTU infrared burner...It cost $120 plus $30 for the mesh cover..I wrote a lot about it on this board...the thread M&M vrs. Jenn Aire...my plan to install it. My M&M is 2002 model so waranty is not an issue Eric. I corrected the Quote price but it did not take in Eric's reply..???
Hi Old Bill,

Hey thanks for posting the info about correcting the quote, I was starting to think I was spending tomuch time on the computer... ;)

So, how is the grill update project going? How about some photos of you fine work? I can almost taste those steaks being seared. :D

Eric D
BBQSource Forums

#8 User is offline   Old Bill 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:

Posted 05 August 2006 - 10:32 PM

Eric D, on Aug 5 2006, 07:20 AM, said:

Hi Old Bill,

Hey thanks for posting the info about correcting the quote, I was starting to think I was spending tomuch time on the computer... ;)

So, how is the grill update project going? How about some photos of you fine work? I can almost taste those steaks being seared. :D

Eric D

Well Eric...I'm retired and kind of spoiled...I am waiting for some cooler days to fabricate my new infrared burner in place of my side burner,,..I will add some pictures when its done...probably October...lol By the way do you know what the size limit is on this site for an attachment of a picture...On my fishing forum I have to use their picture program to resize my pictures...otherwise they are to big to post?
3 Cast Iron 18K burners
10K BTU Rotisserie
New Braunsfel Smoker
LPG Fish fryer
Sausage electric smoker
Two Lower Cabinets

#9 User is offline   Eric D 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:

Posted 06 August 2006 - 06:14 AM

Old Bill, on Aug 5 2006, 11:32 PM, said:

Well Eric...I'm retired and kind of spoiled...I am waiting for some cooler days to fabricate my new infrared burner in place of my side burner,,..I will add some pictures when its done...probably October...lol By the way do you know what the size limit is on this site for an attachment of a picture...On my fishing forum I have to use their picture program to resize my pictures...otherwise they are to big to post?
Mmmm, fresh fish on the smoker or grill!

Normally the best size for pictures on this site is 800 X 600, however, it will take a little larger. So if you can down size them before posting would be good. The forum doesn't have auto photo sizing. If you need instructions on uploading here, here is a link to some instructions, LINK.

It would be nice to see the steps you take to do your sear burner installation along with the finished product.

Eric D
BBQSource Forums

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users