• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Green Mountain Pellet Grill the Daniel Boone model

#1 User is offline   shelly 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters
  • Interests:
    Feeding Alice: A Love Story now available. Please visit my web site.

Posted 31 July 2010 - 11:38 PM

I think I found my new grill, which would complement the ones I already have.

I think it's reasonably priced at $749. It includes complete digital controls, high dome lid so a beer can chicken would fit, casters on all four legs and many more standard items that are optional with some of the other pellet grills out there.

And the owners rave about the great support. One guy called the company on a Sunday morning as his dealer was closed. He hung up when no one answered and did not leave a message. Three hours later, the company called him (caller ID) to see what the problem was.

Here's the grill

http://greenmountain...cts/grills.html

Here's a detailed review of it

http://pelletheads.c...hp?topic=2156.0

Here's the forum with all the information one could want on pellet grills

http://pelletheads.com/

I hope to hear back from the dealer nearest me on Monday.

This one feels really right for me and should up my bbq game a bit.

Then I will get rid of my Masterbuilt Digital Electric Smoker.

Shelly
FE PG500 pellet grill with charbroiler
Weber 2008 Summit S-470
My Cookbook--Feeding Alice: A Love Story
Past Grills: Tec Cherokee Fr IR, GMG DB pellet grill, Big Green Egg, UltraSear IR, Masterbuilt Smoker, Old Smokey, New Brunsfeld Smoker, Weber Genesis 1000, Sears Crossray IR, Fuego Element, Weber Kettle

#2 User is offline   raceman 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:52 AM

Any reason why your looking at this model instead of a Traegar Lil' Tex? Just curious if you have had a chance to compare side by side. I've been looking into the Lil' Tex.
One problem Green Mountain Grills doesn't have anyone local to check them out..... Thanks
2007 Jenn-Air 720-0142 with added sear burner
22 1/2" Weber Kettle
Char Griller Pro

#3 User is offline   vanole 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 August 2010 - 08:25 AM

Shelly,

I have seen one of the Green Mountain units in the past. Course the night we were visitng the couple who owned it they were cooking on their Weber gasser. In fact it was a wardroom (Navy) gathering and the owner raved about the grill. I got to look it over pretty good and noticed right off the git go it had a pretty fancy controller on it. Reading your link I see it is alot more sophisticated than the entry level traeger 3 position controller. Not sure if its exactly like the optional controller that traeger offers. Someone with a traeger would have to answer that one. Like the idea that they thought about cold weather. For all the Trager folks on the forum I'm not knocking there grills they make a good product and heck Terry Bradshaw (yes I'm a Steeler fan) can't be wrong.

Its always comforting to here that customer service is top shelf when you own a cooker that is off most people radar like my Holland. I think that would be a welcome addition to your stable of cookers.

V/R
Jeff
GO NAVY
Fly Navy
My Herd:
Kikuya Hibatchi Pot (1975)
2 Weber Kettles: 18.5 (77);22.5 (00)
Holland Classic Model BH-421-SG-2 (96) added the Searmate IR Burner (10)
Weber Genesis 3000 (97)
Bayou Classic Dual Burner Stove/Fryer (98)
2 Large Big Green Eggs (98) & (02)
Woodflame Delecto (05)
Lodge Dutch Oven Table w/Tall Windscreen (08)
American Outdoor Grill Model 24PC (10)
Holland Legacy LS BH421-SS-3 (adopted 10)
Phoenix Grill PG-2001-P (11)
Holland Companion BH-213-MG-1(11)
1 Medium BGE (11)
PK Grill (12)
Vidalia 628 (13)
Phoenix SDSOP (14)

Wish List:
Hasty-Bake Grill

#4 User is offline   Ronald 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:
    Fishing, Cooking

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:24 AM

shelly, on Aug 1 2010, 12:38 AM, said:

I think it's reasonably priced at $749. It includes complete digital controls, high dome lid so a beer can chicken would fit, casters on all four legs and many more standard items that are optional with some of the other pellet grills out there.

And the owners rave about the great support. One guy called the company on a Sunday morning as his dealer was closed. He hung up when no one answered and did not leave a message. Three hours later, the company called him (caller ID) to see what the problem was.

Here's the grill

Shelly

Interesting grill/smoker Shelly

Wont this take theplace of your BGE and MES?
SUPPORT THE BBQ SOURCE

2008 Weber Spirit SP320 + Weber Cast Iron Griddle
2012 Char-griller Akorn Steel Kamado
Coleman Roadtrip Sport grill
Happy owner of a Great Outdoors Ironware Gas Grill A05714W(a CFM company) retired to brother in-law

Go RavensPosted Image

Super Bowl XXXV, XLVII CHAMPIONS

#5 User is offline   shelly 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:

Posted 01 August 2010 - 10:21 AM

raceman, on Aug 1 2010, 04:52 AM, said:

Any reason why your looking at this model instead of a Traegar Lil' Tex? Just curious if you have had a chance to compare side by side. I've been looking into the Lil' Tex.
One problem Green Mountain Grills doesn't have anyone local to check them out..... Thanks

I actually have a Traeger dealer just a half hour drive from me and I was going to kick it's tires.

But when I found many, many reports of folks who had defective parts (immediately replaced for free with no shipping by Traeger), some red flags went up for me.

Then I found the pelletheads forum where several folks spoke of the differences they experienced after having owned both the Traeger and the Green Mountain. Hands down, they all switched to the GMG and sold their Traegers.

I am sure that the Traeger is a great grill if it continues to work well without parts burning out. And once you add the optional digital controller, the price is comparable to the Daniel Boone.

But the GMG has a higher interior, rolling casters on all legs, comes with a sophisticated digital controller and has a temperature range of 150-500+. The Traeger only goes from 180-450.

They changed the design of the GMG DB by doing away with the wood handles which are now ss, and adding casters to the front legs as well. some interrnal changes in the digital controller as well but I can't speak to them.

Here's a comparison chart for the GMG and the Traeger Lil Tex. Although it is from the GMG site, it is accurate.

http://www.gmgdist.c...GMGvTraeger.pdf

Shelly
Weber 2008 Summit S-470
Past Grills: Tec Cherokee Fr IR, GMG DB pellet grill, Big Green Egg, UltraSear IR, Masterbuilt Smoker, Old Smokey, New Brunsfeld Smoker, Weber Genesis 1000, Sears Crossray IR, Fuego Element, Weber Kettle

#6 User is offline   shelly 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:

Posted 01 August 2010 - 10:31 AM

Ronald, on Aug 1 2010, 07:24 AM, said:

Interesting grill/smoker Shelly

Wont this take the place of your BGE and MES?

Definitely, the MES is out the door if I get the Daniel Boone. But the big green egg still has cooking abilities that can't be matched by the DB.

The bge is a grilling machine as it outputs tremendous heat temperatures when let to blast away, so it can quickly grill meats. The DB at 500 can grill as well, but not with the char and crispness you get from the bge. The same goes for home made pizzas. I would never get rid of my egg even though I do not use it as much as I probably should.

And I do use my bge more for low and slow than steaks (I defer to the ease and quickness of my Tec which comes very close to the attributes of the bge for flavor, char and crispness.). The DB will have a larger capacity and be much easier to use for lazy me.

I'll have to move a few potted roses around to fit the DB in but I've been out with my tape measuring where it can go.

My purchase is not a done deal yet but very close. Alice has offered to drive me to the dealer next week (I hate to drive long distances and it's about 2 -2 1/2 hour drive one way) but I may justs have it delivered if I buy one and save the round trip in my bouncy truck.

Shelly
Weber 2008 Summit S-470

#7 User is offline   raceman 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 August 2010 - 11:51 AM

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll just wait for your review in the next week or 2.. Good luck I hope it preforms the way the pellet forum says it does
2007 Jenn-Air 720-0142 with added sear burner
22 1/2" Weber Kettle
Char Griller Pro

#8 User is offline   Tubby's Smokehouse 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Smoking/Grilling, Construction, Cross Country Racing, Billiards, Drummer.

Posted 01 August 2010 - 01:33 PM

shelly, on Jul 31 2010, 09:38 PM, said:

Here's the grill

Shelly

Nice Shelly, will you be able to do your cold smoking in that, the fan setup is very nice, can the ribolater adapt to it, looks like a fun toy, you might be onto something with this one......

jim
Ducane Meridian 5 Burner, IR Rotto, Dual Side Burners, Dual Electric Warming Drawers.
CookShack Amerique Electric Smoker.
Chargriller Pro Offset Smoker.
Charmglow IR Drop in Sear Burner
New Braunfels Fire Box.

Visit Don And The Gang Here At The Source on Facebook
http://www.facebook....103762139697620

#9 User is offline   shelly 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:

Posted 01 August 2010 - 03:53 PM

Tubby's Smokehouse, on Aug 1 2010, 11:33 AM, said:

Nice Shelly, will you be able to do your cold smoking in that, the fan setup is very nice, can the ribolater adapt to it, looks like a fun toy, you might be onto something with this one......

jim

After purchasing those two POS units from Costco with each costing almost as much as this grill, this seems like a bargain to me.

The more I read the pellethead forum section on this grill, the more stoked I'm getting and can't wait to call the dealer tomorrow morning. Might just order it if terms are right.

I will always do cold smoking in my dedicated cold smoker as it's maximum temperature is always the ambient temperature outside, and I need to keep it under 90. The GMG has a low of 150 which would be perfectly acceptable for the finished smoked salmon but I would not be able to slice it thinly. At that temperature, it would cook a bit and flake off the salmon side. Not bad, however, for a party where folks could flake off as much as they want and certainly easier than having to thinly slice the whole side and arrange it on a platter.

Not sure about using the Ribolator on it as there is really no brackets et al to hold the roto, and the grate size is just 25" x 16" so the spit would be too long. Doesn't matter as this unit would have its own use for certain cooks, not my only one as you know.

Another feature is that there is a fan only mode to blow the small amount of ash from the fire pot for cleaning. Not sure I will ever need the turbo mode which kicks in a cold outside temperatures under 40.

But this is a real bbq unit and pellet grills are allowed in competition. Just as you have often suggested to me and others to get a real wood smoker. :)

Shelly

We might just need a Pellet Grill Sub Forum here. Who's the local Moderator?
Weber 2008 Summit S-470

#10 User is offline   Super 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:07 PM

Are you planning to build an outbuilding to house all these new grills you're trying out? :)

#11 User is offline   shelly 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:

Posted 01 August 2010 - 05:34 PM

Super, on Aug 1 2010, 02:07 PM, said:

Are you planning to build an outbuilding to house all these new grills you're trying out? :)

I have looked and looked for a place on my property for an outdoor kitchen. But we live on a very steep hillside and all of the flat and level surfaces are decks on various levels with most canter levered out. Most of that space is for seating, relaxing and entertaining.

My grills are clustered as far from those living area outdoor rooms as possible.

I just found out that the dealer is only open Thursday-Saturday so might not be able to make contact until later in the week. Oh well. I'll spend the week milling flour for baking, making pizzas and grilling and gardening.

Shelly
Weber 2008 Summit S-470

#12 User is offline   Tubby's Smokehouse 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:

Posted 01 August 2010 - 07:20 PM

shelly, on Aug 1 2010, 01:53 PM, said:

But this is a real bbq unit and pellet grills are allowed in competition. Just as you have often suggested to me and others to get a real wood smoker. :)

Shelly

The pellets and pucks supply a richer more concentrated flavor, I think your going to pleased this time around, as you know I have a Cook Shack electric smoker although it really does make the Mes units look like toys, It cant hold a candle to the flavor I get out of my cheap natural smoker, I think your brisket and shoulders will get kicked up several notches in flavor, even if you smoke lightly as I know you and the Mrs. don't care for a heavy smoke flavor, the heat from the wood just works magic on BBQ, cant wait to see some of the stuff you do with this unit, next chicken you smoke the meats going to pink, you ready for that :)
And you have such a descriptive way of describing flavor profiles it will be interesting to get you're opinions on the differences you experience with this natural unit

jim
Ducane Meridian 5 Burner, IR Rotto, Dual Side Burners, Dual Electric Warming Drawers.
New Braunfels Fire Box.

#13 User is offline   shelly 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:38 PM

Well, it's now a done deal. I placed my order today with Greenleaf BBQ in Livermore, CA. They are a 2 1/2 hour drive one way into the city for me and I wasn't sure if they would provide service if needed.

It turns out that they come into my area a couple of times a week and the owner's grandma lives here in Carmel Valley. A local guy so it we have a connection.

They will deliver, assemble, teach me the operation of and the seasoning of the grill and make sure all is well. And they can deliver pellets whenever I need them.

I opted to spend an extra $100 for the all stainless steel hood (as opposed to the painted steel), handles and chimney. The rest is painted black steel. Very cool looking and should work as I want, not imparting a heavy smoke flavor. In fact, there are modifications discussed on their forum on how to generate more smoke flavor. Subtle is what I want along with a killer smoke ring, just like I get from my Big Green Egg. But with this grill, you just push a button and walk away.

I'll start a review thread when I start to cook with it.

Shelly

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: product_index_photos.jpg

Weber 2008 Summit S-470

#14 User is offline   Tubby's Smokehouse 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:09 PM

shelly, on Aug 2 2010, 07:38 PM, said:

Well, it's now a done deal. I placed my order today with Greenleaf BBQ in Livermore, CA. They are a 2 1/2 hour drive one way into the city for me and I wasn't sure if they would provide service if needed.

It turns out that they come into my area a couple of times a week and the owner's grandma lives here in Carmel Valley. A local guy so it we have a connection.

They will deliver, assemble, teach me the operation of and the seasoning of the grill and make sure all is well. And they can deliver pellets whenever I need them.

I opted to spend an extra $100 for the all stainless steel hood (as opposed to the painted steel), handles and chimney. The rest is painted black steel. Very cool looking and should work as I want, not imparting a heavy smoke flavor. In fact, there are modifications discussed on their forum on how to generate more smoke flavor. Subtle is what I want along with a killer smoke ring, just like I get from my Big Green Egg. But with this grill, you just push a button and walk away.

Shelly

Good deal Shelly, really looking forward to this one, do they take the universal pellets? what pellets are you starting with? you can order tooti fruity ones on line now, they mix flavors, I even saw red wine pellets designed for fish, cant wait to hear your reviews......and on this one post allot of pics of the internals and how this bad boy works, I might put my cook shack on the market and get one, I paid 1600 for it new if I can get 800 maybe I can swing one of these GM's

jimbo
New Braunfels Fire Box.

#15 User is offline   Ronald 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:
    Fishing, Cooking

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:06 PM

shelly, on Aug 2 2010, 10:38 PM, said:

Shelly

Shelly
Thanks for the update
I now have a problem because because of you ;)
I now have to decide between a Traeger Junior Smoker and a Bubba Keg Smoker
I couldnt find a Green Mountain dealer near me so I had to investigate the Traeger problems only to find out the instructions for adding the digital controller were wrong
SUPPORT THE BBQ SOURCE

2008 Weber Spirit SP320 + Weber Cast Iron Griddle
2012 Char-griller Akorn Steel Kamado
Coleman Roadtrip Sport grill
Happy owner of a Great Outdoors Ironware Gas Grill A05714W(a CFM company) retired to brother in-law

Go RavensPosted Image

Super Bowl XXXV, XLVII CHAMPIONS

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users