BBQ Source Forums: Quick help with Beef Brisket for 100+ people - BBQ Source Forums

Jump to content

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Quick help with Beef Brisket for 100+ people How long to cook 7 15 lb briskets

#1 User is offline   Kurt_s 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters
  • Posts: 524
  • Joined: 03-April 10
  • Location:Thousand Oaks, CA (SoCal)
  • Interests:
    General Foodie (Gourmet, Grilling, Yes)<br />Golf<br />Automobiles (Love my BMWs)<br />Audio (music)/Video (movies) <br />Reading and Learning<br />Science and Medicine<br />Being a great Dad and Husband

Posted 18 August 2010 - 12:09 PM

Hi All,

My father-in-law's seminary has a big function this Saturday and they need to feed over 100 people. They will serve beef brisket and plan to cook seven 15 lb briskets. We don't have a large smoker and only have 3 mid-size gas grills available. The main kitchen has two large ovens which we can use to cook the meat.

At 250-275 degrees in an oven, how long will the briskets need to cook? What should be the final internal temperature when he pulls the meat out to rest? Can he precook the meat to a certain level in the oven then further cook it on the gas grills? Can he partially precook the brisket Friday and finish them or merely warm them up on Saturday morning?

What do you think of using large igloo coolers to keep the meat warm to serve during the outdoor picnic?

Thanks!
BBQ SOURCE STORE - the BEST PLACE to buy parts for your Grill!
http://www.bbqsource...merce/index.php


Weber Summit S470 - April 2010
Weber Genesis 1000 - Circa ~1990
0

#2 User is offline   Tubby's Smokehouse 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters
  • Posts: 5,904
  • Joined: 21-February 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California High Desert
  • Interests:
    Smoking/Grilling, Construction, Cross Country Racing, Billiards, Drummer.

Posted 18 August 2010 - 12:55 PM

View PostKurt_s, on Aug 18 2010, 10:09 AM, said:

Hi All,

My father-in-law's seminary has a big function this Saturday and they need to feed over 100 people. They will serve beef brisket and plan to cook seven 15 lb briskets. We don't have a large smoker and only have 3 mid-size gas grills available. The main kitchen has two large ovens which we can use to cook the meat.

At 250-275 degrees in an oven, how long will the briskets need to cook? What should be the final internal temperature when he pulls the meat out to rest? Can he precook the meat to a certain level in the oven then further cook it on the gas grills? Can he partially precook the brisket Friday and finish them or merely warm them up on Saturday morning?

What do you think of using large igloo coolers to keep the meat warm to serve during the outdoor picnic?

Thanks!

Kurt I would plan on about an hour and 15 minutes per pound give or take, so 18-22 hours, I wouldnt trim to much fat either, 275 in the oven covered, myself I would not paticaly cook it, you could dry it out and make it tough. finish internal temp would be 190-195. If I had to reheat it, I would either slice it and bake it again(covered) in all the ajus and maybe some added beefstock for an hour at 300-325,(maybe basting it once or twice) before guests are ready, or slice it and have a deep pan of ajus/beefstock simmering and cut slices and put them in the stock a couple minutes and serve, if it was cut real thin thats how you would see a sammy shop warm the sandwich meat by dredgeing it in hot ajus and putting it on a bun, dont submerge it to long though you dont want to boil it.
Or if you can time it just right pull it out of the oven and serve it hot :unsure:

jim
Ducane Meridian 5 Burner, IR Rotto, Dual Side Burners, Dual Electric Warming Drawers.
CookShack Amerique Electric Smoker.
Chargriller Pro Offset Smoker.
Charmglow IR Drop in Sear Burner
New Braunfels Fire Box.

Visit Don And The Gang Here At The Source on Facebook
http://www.facebook....103762139697620
0

#3 User is offline   Ronald 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 4,291
  • Joined: 30-May 04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Mid-Atlantic/Delmarva
  • Interests:
    Fishing, Cooking

Posted 18 August 2010 - 03:32 PM

View PostKurt_s, on Aug 18 2010, 01:09 PM, said:

Hi All,

My father-in-law's seminary has a big function this Saturday and they need to feed over 100 people. They will serve beef brisket and plan to cook seven 15 lb briskets. We don't have a large smoker and only have 3 mid-size gas grills available. The main kitchen has two large ovens which we can use to cook the meat.

At 250-275 degrees in an oven, how long will the briskets need to cook? What should be the final internal temperature when he pulls the meat out to rest? Can he precook the meat to a certain level in the oven then further cook it on the gas grills? Can he partially precook the brisket Friday and finish them or merely warm them up on Saturday morning?

What do you think of using large igloo coolers to keep the meat warm to serve during the outdoor picnic?

Thanks!

Without actually seeing the grills
You should be able to fit 3 briskets per grill
You will need about 10 hours per grill
You will need to start cooking on thursday and then you can reheat your meat on saturday morning

Not to give you a hard time , but why such a large project if you have never done brisket on a gas grill before?
Are the grills you are using going to be able to maintain a temp of around 220 ?
Do you have enough propane to last for 3 grills and 3 days ?

Do you have a backup plan ?
SUPPORT THE BBQ SOURCE

2008 Weber Spirit SP320 + Weber Cast Iron Griddle
2014 Traeger Jr Smoker
2012 Char-griller Akorn Steel Kamado
Coleman Roadtrip Sport grill
Happy owner of a Great Outdoors Ironware Gas Grill A05714W(a CFM company) retired to brother in-law



Go RavensPosted Image


Super Bowl XXXV, XLVII CHAMPIONS
0

#4 User is offline   raceman 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters
  • Posts: 248
  • Joined: 26-May 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Spring Hill,Florida

Posted 18 August 2010 - 04:33 PM

Go rent a large smoker
2007 Jenn-Air 720-0142 with added sear burner
22 1/2" Weber Kettle
Char Griller Pro
0

#5 User is offline   Kurt_s 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters
  • Posts: 524
  • Joined: 03-April 10
  • Location:Thousand Oaks, CA (SoCal)
  • Interests:
    General Foodie (Gourmet, Grilling, Yes)<br />Golf<br />Automobiles (Love my BMWs)<br />Audio (music)/Video (movies) <br />Reading and Learning<br />Science and Medicine<br />Being a great Dad and Husband

Posted 18 August 2010 - 05:23 PM

View PostRonald, on Aug 18 2010, 01:32 PM, said:

Without actually seeing the grills
You should be able to fit 3 briskets per grill
You will need about 10 hours per grill
You will need to start cooking on thursday and then you can reheat your meat on saturday morning

Not to give you a hard time , but why such a large project if you have never done brisket on a gas grill before?
Are the grills you are using going to be able to maintain a temp of around 220 ?
Do you have enough propane to last for 3 grills and 3 days ?

Do you have a backup plan ?

Here's the basic plan.
  • Slow cook/braise the briskets in the seminary's kitchen ovens at 275F because we don't have a big smoker and need the gas grills for other things.
  • I suggested 6-7 lb flat cut briskets instead of whole briskets to shorten the cook. I will know what he picks up later today.
  • We should be able to drop cooking time to 8-10 hours depending on the sizes he buys.
  • We can wrap them in foil and place them in a cooler to rest around 10-10:30am then transport from the kitchen.
  • We should be able to use the pan au jus to moisten the meat when serving if needed.
  • We will use the grills to cook 3 whole chickens, 2 whole fish (probably salmon) and 48 hot dogs and buns
  • We will bake 120 potatoes in the kitchen and keep them warm for serving. About 1 hr at 400F on sheet trays.
  • Baked beans will be warmed in the kitchen, transported in large pots and kept warm in warming trays.
  • I'll bring my turkey fryer burner and pot down to "quickly" heat the white corn on the cob.
  • We should have warming trays and side burners for beans, potatoes, corn, etc.

It now looks like I will drive down on Friday to help my FIL and his fellow seminarians set up and either stay at the seminary or get back over to the kitchen in the early am.

This could definately be a food porn opportunity! Grateful for your suggestions!
BBQ SOURCE STORE - the BEST PLACE to buy parts for your Grill!
http://www.bbqsource...merce/index.php


Weber Summit S470 - April 2010
Weber Genesis 1000 - Circa ~1990
0

#6 User is offline   Kurt_s 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters
  • Posts: 524
  • Joined: 03-April 10
  • Location:Thousand Oaks, CA (SoCal)
  • Interests:
    General Foodie (Gourmet, Grilling, Yes)<br />Golf<br />Automobiles (Love my BMWs)<br />Audio (music)/Video (movies) <br />Reading and Learning<br />Science and Medicine<br />Being a great Dad and Husband

Posted 18 August 2010 - 05:26 PM

View Postraceman, on Aug 18 2010, 02:33 PM, said:

Go rent a large smoker

I live 80 miles away and tried googling a rental shop to find one earlier today without success. My FIL was going to see if he could rent one but I don't expect to find one at this late of date.
BBQ SOURCE STORE - the BEST PLACE to buy parts for your Grill!
http://www.bbqsource...merce/index.php


Weber Summit S470 - April 2010
Weber Genesis 1000 - Circa ~1990
0

#7 User is offline   Tubby's Smokehouse 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters
  • Posts: 5,904
  • Joined: 21-February 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California High Desert
  • Interests:
    Smoking/Grilling, Construction, Cross Country Racing, Billiards, Drummer.

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:04 PM

View PostKurt_s, on Aug 18 2010, 03:23 PM, said:

Here's the basic plan.
  • Slow cook/braise the briskets in the seminary's kitchen ovens at 275F because we don't have a big smoker and need the gas grills for other things.
  • I suggested 6-7 lb flat cut briskets instead of whole briskets to shorten the cook. I will know what he picks up later today.
  • We should be able to drop cooking time to 8-10 hours depending on the sizes he buys.
  • We can wrap them in foil and place them in a cooler to rest around 10-10:30am then transport from the kitchen.
  • We should be able to use the pan au jus to moisten the meat when serving if needed.
  • We will use the grills to cook 3 whole chickens, 2 whole fish (probably salmon) and 48 hot dogs and buns
  • We will bake 120 potatoes in the kitchen and keep them warm for serving. About 1 hr at 400F on sheet trays.
  • Baked beans will be warmed in the kitchen, transported in large pots and kept warm in warming trays.
  • I'll bring my turkey fryer burner and pot down to "quickly" heat the white corn on the cob.
  • We should have warming trays and side burners for beans, potatoes, corn, etc.

It now looks like I will drive down on Friday to help my FIL and his fellow seminarians set up and either stay at the seminary or get back over to the kitchen in the early am.

This could definately be a food porn opportunity! Grateful for your suggestions!

1. Your safest bet :P
2. The whole briskets will be more tender and offer choicer cuts :(
3. You sure will ;)
4. Ok
5. great idea
6. put me down for a few hot dogs
7. Better wrap them in foil or when the cool they will shrivel up :unsure:
8. Gonna put any bacon in the beans ( I love Bacon) ;)
9. If "quickly" means "boil" skip it its not BBQ, if you put a raised rack in the bottom of your fryer steaming isn't frowned on, never tried deep fried corn on the cob, bring some oil that could be the talk of the event :lol:
10. your going to need all the help you can get :(
11. Whats going to keep the adult beverages chilled?

Let us know what time to show up....


Hungry
jimbo
Ducane Meridian 5 Burner, IR Rotto, Dual Side Burners, Dual Electric Warming Drawers.
CookShack Amerique Electric Smoker.
Chargriller Pro Offset Smoker.
Charmglow IR Drop in Sear Burner
New Braunfels Fire Box.

Visit Don And The Gang Here At The Source on Facebook
http://www.facebook....103762139697620
0

#8 User is offline   Kurt_s 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters
  • Posts: 524
  • Joined: 03-April 10
  • Location:Thousand Oaks, CA (SoCal)
  • Interests:
    General Foodie (Gourmet, Grilling, Yes)<br />Golf<br />Automobiles (Love my BMWs)<br />Audio (music)/Video (movies) <br />Reading and Learning<br />Science and Medicine<br />Being a great Dad and Husband

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:48 PM

View PostTubby's Smokehouse, on Aug 18 2010, 07:04 PM, said:

1. Your safest bet :(
2. The whole briskets will be more tender and offer choicer cuts :(
3. You sure will :P
4. Ok
5. great idea
6. put me down for a few hot dogs
7. Better wrap them in foil or when the cool they will shrivel up :lol:
8. Gonna put any bacon in the beans ( I love Bacon) ;)
9. If "quickly" means "boil" skip it its not BBQ, if you put a raised rack in the bottom of your fryer steaming isn't frowned on, never tried deep fried corn on the cob, bring some oil that could be the talk of the event ;)
10. your going to need all the help you can get B)
11. Whats going to keep the adult beverages chilled?

Let us know what time to show up....


Hungry
jimbo


  • It's a fund raising event for the seminary to support the older priests in Dominguez Hills on Saturday. You are welcome to come down. There is supposed to have plenty of beer, wine and softdrinks. :P
  • I would rather have rented a large smoker and made the whole briskets. FIL said that they would have a smoker next year if we pull this off.
  • I don't have to worry about the beans. Bacon?? Squirrel??
  • Dogs instead of brisket. Sooo sad!
  • We prefer to grill the corn but we're looking at 120 ears. The steamer idea might just work! Would you get popped corn if you deep fried the fresh ears? :unsure:
  • I'll have my FIL, a couple of other seminarians, the cooking staff, and maybe my son and his friend to help. We'll be ok if the beer is cold.


Kurt
BBQ SOURCE STORE - the BEST PLACE to buy parts for your Grill!
http://www.bbqsource...merce/index.php


Weber Summit S470 - April 2010
Weber Genesis 1000 - Circa ~1990
0

#9 User is offline   Tubby's Smokehouse 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters
  • Posts: 5,904
  • Joined: 21-February 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California High Desert
  • Interests:
    Smoking/Grilling, Construction, Cross Country Racing, Billiards, Drummer.

Posted 18 August 2010 - 10:44 PM

View PostKurt_s, on Aug 18 2010, 07:48 PM, said:

  • It's a fund raising event for the seminary to support the older priests in Dominguez Hills on Saturday. You are welcome to come down. There is supposed to have plenty of beer, wine and softdrinks. :P
  • I would rather have rented a large smoker and made the whole briskets. FIL said that they would have a smoker next year if we pull this off.
  • I don't have to worry about the beans. Bacon?? Squirrel??
  • Dogs instead of brisket. Sooo sad!
  • We prefer to grill the corn but we're looking at 120 ears. The steamer idea might just work! Would you get popped corn if you deep fried the fresh ears? :rolleyes:
  • I'll have my FIL, a couple of other seminarians, the cooking staff, and maybe my son and his friend to help. We'll be ok if the beer is cold.


Kurt

Dominquez hills as in long beach? I'm a 100 miles from there but grew up in huntington 15 miles from there

All kidding aside brisket is the hardest cut of meat there is to smoke, good brisket is great, tough dry brisket is terrible, seriously the oven is your safest best bet, to turn it out most and tender, smoking brisket is like smoking a chuck roast.

Baked beans without bacon is well sacraligious, these are religious folks?

I'm opting for the dogs incase you dont get the brisket right, tough brisket is well, terrible to be honest.

Steaming the cobs might be the way to go, when you boil them all that sweet juice between the kernel and the cob ends up in the water. I wonder if you could deep fry an ear of corn I will get back to you on that ;)

10-4 If the beers cold it's a party :P .

Next year a 100 pounds of Tri Tip will take alot off the wifes, dads plate. ;)

Sounds like a real fun time, we have some nice weather coming this weekend.
Let us all know how ya do.....

jimbo
Ducane Meridian 5 Burner, IR Rotto, Dual Side Burners, Dual Electric Warming Drawers.
CookShack Amerique Electric Smoker.
Chargriller Pro Offset Smoker.
Charmglow IR Drop in Sear Burner
New Braunfels Fire Box.

Visit Don And The Gang Here At The Source on Facebook
http://www.facebook....103762139697620
0

#10 User is offline   Kurt_s 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters
  • Posts: 524
  • Joined: 03-April 10
  • Location:Thousand Oaks, CA (SoCal)
  • Interests:
    General Foodie (Gourmet, Grilling, Yes)<br />Golf<br />Automobiles (Love my BMWs)<br />Audio (music)/Video (movies) <br />Reading and Learning<br />Science and Medicine<br />Being a great Dad and Husband

Posted 18 August 2010 - 11:33 PM

View PostTubby's Smokehouse, on Aug 18 2010, 08:44 PM, said:

Dominquez hills as in long beach? I'm a 100 miles from there but grew up in huntington 15 miles from there

All kidding aside brisket is the hardest cut of meat there is to smoke, good brisket is great, tough dry brisket is terrible, seriously the oven is your safest best bet, to turn it out most and tender, smoking brisket is like smoking a chuck roast.

Baked beans without bacon is well sacraligious, these are religious folks?

I'm opting for the dogs incase you dont get the brisket right, tough brisket is well, terrible to be honest.

Steaming the cobs might be the way to go, when you boil them all that sweet juice between the kernel and the cob ends up in the water. I wonder if you could deep fry an ear of corn I will get back to you on that :rolleyes:

10-4 If the beers cold it's a party :P .

Next year a 100 pounds of Tri Tip will take alot off the wifes, dads plate. ;)

Sounds like a real fun time, we have some nice weather coming this weekend.
Let us all know how ya do.....

jimbo

FIL is from El Paso so he a brisket guy. I suggested Tri Tip and renting a wood burning grill. Oh well!

I'll try to sneak some bacon into the beans. ;)
BBQ SOURCE STORE - the BEST PLACE to buy parts for your Grill!
http://www.bbqsource...merce/index.php


Weber Summit S470 - April 2010
Weber Genesis 1000 - Circa ~1990
0

#11 User is offline   Tubby's Smokehouse 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters
  • Posts: 5,904
  • Joined: 21-February 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California High Desert
  • Interests:
    Smoking/Grilling, Construction, Cross Country Racing, Billiards, Drummer.

Posted 19 August 2010 - 01:55 AM

View PostKurt_s, on Aug 18 2010, 09:33 PM, said:

FIL is from El Paso so he a brisket guy. I suggested Tri Tip and renting a wood burning grill. Oh well!

I'll try to sneak some bacon into the beans. :rolleyes:

If he's a brisket guy this should be a slam dunk

beans without at least a chunk of bacon fat mmmmmm ....... sneak a ham hawk into the pot if ya have too ;)


tell ya what I will take the tri tip over the brisket any day, thats just me though ;) :P
Ducane Meridian 5 Burner, IR Rotto, Dual Side Burners, Dual Electric Warming Drawers.
CookShack Amerique Electric Smoker.
Chargriller Pro Offset Smoker.
Charmglow IR Drop in Sear Burner
New Braunfels Fire Box.

Visit Don And The Gang Here At The Source on Facebook
http://www.facebook....103762139697620
0

#12 User is offline   Ronald 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 4,291
  • Joined: 30-May 04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Mid-Atlantic/Delmarva
  • Interests:
    Fishing, Cooking

Posted 19 August 2010 - 07:20 AM

View PostKurt_s, on Aug 18 2010, 10:48 PM, said:

  • It's a fund raising event for the seminary to support the older priests in Dominguez Hills on Saturday. You are welcome to come down. There is supposed to have plenty of beer, wine and softdrinks. ;)
  • I would rather have rented a large smoker and made the whole briskets. FIL said that they would have a smoker next year if we pull this off.
  • I don't have to worry about the beans. Bacon?? Squirrel??
  • Dogs instead of brisket. Sooo sad!
  • We prefer to grill the corn but we're looking at 120 ears. The steamer idea might just work! Would you get popped corn if you deep fried the fresh ears? :rolleyes:
  • I'll have my FIL, a couple of other seminarians, the cooking staff, and maybe my son and his friend to help. We'll be ok if the beer is cold.


Kurt

Kurt
It sounds like a great cause
If I lived on the left coast I would come give you a hand
You might want to contact Shelly and see if he has any ideas
SUPPORT THE BBQ SOURCE

2008 Weber Spirit SP320 + Weber Cast Iron Griddle
2014 Traeger Jr Smoker
2012 Char-griller Akorn Steel Kamado
Coleman Roadtrip Sport grill
Happy owner of a Great Outdoors Ironware Gas Grill A05714W(a CFM company) retired to brother in-law



Go RavensPosted Image


Super Bowl XXXV, XLVII CHAMPIONS
0

#13 User is offline   shelly 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters
  • Posts: 3,037
  • Joined: 12-July 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Carmel Valley, CA
  • Interests:
    Feeding Alice: A Love Story now available. Please visit my web site.

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:07 AM

View PostRonald, on Aug 19 2010, 05:20 AM, said:

Kurt
It sounds like a great cause
If I lived on the left coast I would come give you a hand
You might want to contact Shelly and see if he has any ideas


If you cook the briskets in the oven and then try to crisp them on the grill, they could fall apart so I would char them on the grill first and then use the kitchen oven.

You can get a smoked brisket affect by using smoke boxes on the grills and keeping the briskets on them for 4-6 hours, and then putting each one in a pan covered with foil, and into the oven to complete the cook.

If you use just the oven, you can roast them at 250 or so for 4-6 hours and then put in pans covered with foil to complete the cook, or just put them in the covered pans from the get go and save yourself work and time.

I never would have considered roasting or smoking a brisket growing up as that cut of meat was always braised in a large pot with lots of onion, celery and garlic. As I got older, I also included wome red wine, and cut up vegetables including carrots, zucchini et al. All the vegetables will break apart in this long of a cook. For small home purposes, you could them put all the cooked juices and vegetables through a food mill or in a blender and create a gravey without any flour. Did I mention sal and pepper as well?

After the braising which took as long as it took for a fork to easily slide into the meat, it was then sliced and returned to the pot with the gravy and simmered. Or this could be down a day or two ahead as long as you have refrigeration and then reheated before serving.

I actually prefer all the extra flavor that the braising in the liquid with vegetables et al provides.

But it seems like you want to treat the briskets as a dry slice like a tri tip to serve with the other goodies. That would require a more controlled cook to make sure that the meat is fully cooked and tender. Preslicing it and returning it to juices is more forgiving and guarantees a moist meat.

In any case, thsi is a crazy endeavor as I don't think that anyhone has really thought out the vast amount of time and equipment necessary to do such large packer cuts of briskets with such limited equipment. Good luck.

Shelly
FE PG500 pellet grill with charbroiler
Weber 2008 Summit S-470
My Cookbook--Feeding Alice: A Love Story
**********************************
Past Grills: Tec Cherokee Fr IR, GMG DB pellet grill, Big Green Egg, UltraSear IR, Masterbuilt Smoker, Old Smokey, New Brunsfeld Smoker, Weber Genesis 1000, Sears Crossray IR, Fuego Element, Weber Kettle
0

#14 User is offline   Tubby's Smokehouse 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters
  • Posts: 5,904
  • Joined: 21-February 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California High Desert
  • Interests:
    Smoking/Grilling, Construction, Cross Country Racing, Billiards, Drummer.

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:46 AM

View PostTubby's Smokehouse, on Aug 18 2010, 08:44 PM, said:

All kidding aside I wonder if you could deep fry an ear of corn I will get back to you on that :rolleyes:

Kurt, turns out people do deep fry corn on the cob, sounds like something fun to try on the family, 120 ears would be a little daunting ;)

Have fun with your Father in Law!

jim





Deep Fried Corn on the Cob

Ears of corn, cleaned and ready to go. We use alot, but use as many as you want.

Salt
Soul Seasoning/or any seasoning you might want to try, we love this stuff.
Butter or margarine.

Fill your deep fryer up with vegetable oil, peanut oil (adds a different taste to corn), or what ever. Heat the oil to 450 degrees.

Drop corn cobs in and cook till you see them kernels turning brown (about 10 to 15 Min.), remove from deep fryer.

Put on a drainer, or just put on a plate with paper towels to absorb the oil. Now cover with butter while hot, a dash of salt, and the Soul Seasoning sprinkle on.

Ready to serve.......





Battered..................

peanut oil ( or personal favorite)
4 Fresh or fully thawed, ears of corn broken or cut in half.
**** for Batter****
1/2 Cup buttermilk
2 eggs (well Beaten)
1/2 Cup corn Meal (may have to add more to make batter thick enough)
****for Coating****
1/2 Cup Self-Rising flour (may need more according to preference)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper (all of these can be added to according to taste preferences)

In a Deep Fat Fryer or Deep Heavy Dutch Oven, Preheat oil to 375 degrees
Make Batter With Cornmeal,Buttermilk, and Eggs ( set aside)
Combine Flour,Garlic powder,Salt, and Pepper (set aside)
Dip Corn ears into Cornmeal batter to coat
Roll in Flour mixture
With Cooking Tongs, (holding at a safe distance) Slowly place ears of Corn in hot Oil 1 at a time
Fry for about 3 minutes or until golden brown.
Drain on paper towels
Serve with corn holders and season as desired.
Ducane Meridian 5 Burner, IR Rotto, Dual Side Burners, Dual Electric Warming Drawers.
CookShack Amerique Electric Smoker.
Chargriller Pro Offset Smoker.
Charmglow IR Drop in Sear Burner
New Braunfels Fire Box.

Visit Don And The Gang Here At The Source on Facebook
http://www.facebook....103762139697620
0

#15 User is offline   shelly 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters
  • Posts: 3,037
  • Joined: 12-July 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Carmel Valley, CA
  • Interests:
    Feeding Alice: A Love Story now available. Please visit my web site.

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:27 AM

I've given this more thought and truly believe that you have made the wrong choice for the menu.

Without the ability to low and slow smoke all of these briskets, any other means of preparing them for such a large crowd is way too difficult.

I would go with grilled tri tips which can easily be done on the grills. The potatoes could be done in the oven and there must be a small Weber kettle around to do the hot dogs, or else they could just be put on the warming racks and would cook in the time that the tri tips were grilling.

I would seriously consider a menu change unless it's too late.

Shelly
FE PG500 pellet grill with charbroiler
Weber 2008 Summit S-470
My Cookbook--Feeding Alice: A Love Story
**********************************
Past Grills: Tec Cherokee Fr IR, GMG DB pellet grill, Big Green Egg, UltraSear IR, Masterbuilt Smoker, Old Smokey, New Brunsfeld Smoker, Weber Genesis 1000, Sears Crossray IR, Fuego Element, Weber Kettle
0

Share this topic:


  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users