• You cannot reply to this topic

Tec vs Weber Help a newbie to choose

#31 User is offline   juliancanada 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters

Posted 03 September 2010 - 11:13 PM

View PostTubby's Smokehouse, on Sep 3 2010, 11:32 PM, said:

Oh I agree Shelly but I have yet to hear you mention it 6 times in one post and base your purchase on it, and being # 1 on your list, I have seen some darn cute grills that wouldn't last me a week ;)

My ducaneAttachment ducane_m...ners.JPG.jpeg is more masculine than sexy, its like having a muscle car over say a Volkswagen Jetta, maybe I will paint it pink to make it more sexy :lol: :lol:

thanks for backing me up Shelly
but
his grill is sick and would probably look the best in my huge flat and open backyard

its just we dont entertain much
we are always just cooking for 4 adults - wife, sister in law and bro in law - they live close - we grill or smoke 3x wk or more
i was actually going to buy the Crown Verity and tow it over to their place with my John Deer - for big parties
but the more i looked at it - the more it made me sick(this is a bad sick) - it was just too industrial looking - my wife hated it - she couldnt even lift the hood

now Jim like it or not i think your grill with that shine is sexy
i havent been into muscle cars but back in 2001, i read a post on a board that said - a car had a barry white exhaust note
so i went to the detroit auto show - sat in it -
never test drove but i bought it over the phone
and darn that little honda s2000 with 240hp from a 2 liter engine was loads of fun and sounded better than Barry - got rest his soul
TEC Cherokee FR - NOT LIKE ANY OTHER IR GRILL!!!
Personalized "lil Chubbzy" 48 Slot Full 304SS Spiedini Charcoal Grill- www.hitekmilan.ca/product.html?id=8
Broil-Mate 2 burner Cast Iron-Briquettes-HOT=800 degrees-OLD- still mint
Mini Briefcase Style Mexican Charcoal Grill - Cancun Walmart 230Pesos
Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5in Last yr of Wooden Handle 1998

Wish List:
(BDS) Big Drum Smoker - Faster, No Water, More Drippin Flavour
Naturally Red Haired Asian Girl
***one might be attainable***

#32 User is offline   Tubby's Smokehouse 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Smoking/Grilling, Construction, Cross Country Racing, Billiards, Drummer.

Posted 03 September 2010 - 11:23 PM

View Postjuliancanada, on Sep 3 2010, 09:00 PM, said:

the Price of the Solaire is a no brainer
marine grade - i can leave it out all winter
the weight is only 20lbs i think - that is also a benefit - portable
but it doesnt have the TEC's new technology or the easy clean glass - they have the pat on that for the next few years
also i believe its made in china

as for the AOG - its made by R H Peterson the same people who make the Fire Magic line
15yr warranty on the burners - and 10 yr warranty on all the rest of the stainless
it also accomadates charcoal or wood chips directly on the vaporizor pannels
and has shelves for the playboy LOL

Hehehehe julian I hear ya, but you have to remember one mans turd is another mans treasure although they are both on the same page of the dictionary

Myself I would not buy a grill for looks, I would get a hooker based on looks though :lol: :lol:
Ducane Meridian 5 Burner, IR Rotto, Dual Side Burners, Dual Electric Warming Drawers.
CookShack Amerique Electric Smoker.
Chargriller Pro Offset Smoker.
Charmglow IR Drop in Sear Burner
New Braunfels Fire Box.

Visit Don And The Gang Here At The Source on Facebook
http://www.facebook....103762139697620

#33 User is offline   Tubby's Smokehouse 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:

Posted 03 September 2010 - 11:28 PM

View Postjuliancanada, on Sep 3 2010, 09:13 PM, said:

thanks for backing me up Shelly
but
his grill is sick and would probably look the best in my huge flat and open backyard

its just we dont entertain much
we are always just cooking for 4 adults - wife, sister in law and bro in law - they live close - we grill or smoke 3x wk or more
i was actually going to buy the Crown Verity and tow it over to their place with my John Deer - for big parties
but the more i looked at it - the more it made me sick(this is a bad sick) - it was just too industrial looking - my wife hated it - she couldnt even lift the hood

now Jim like it or not i think your grill with that shine is sexy
i havent been into muscle cars but back in 2001, i read a post on a board that said - a car had a barry white exhaust note
so i went to the detroit auto show - sat in it -
never test drove but i bought it over the phone
and darn that little honda s2000 with 240hp from a 2 liter engine was loads of fun and sounded better than Barry - got rest his soul

But see Julian :lol: my Grill not only looks sick it cooks like a son of a bitch, she'll hit a 1000 degrees and has a twenty five year warranty :P :P :P :P

Id stay on that tec :lol: ;)
Ducane Meridian 5 Burner, IR Rotto, Dual Side Burners, Dual Electric Warming Drawers.
New Braunfels Fire Box.

#34 User is offline   Tubby's Smokehouse 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:

Posted 03 September 2010 - 11:30 PM

View Postshelly, on Sep 3 2010, 08:40 PM, said:

Nine knobs to play with. :lol:

Shelly

One thing I have learned in this world is you can never get enough knob :lol: ;)
New Braunfels Fire Box.

#35 User is offline   juliancanada 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 September 2010 - 11:50 PM

View Postshelly, on Sep 3 2010, 11:09 PM, said:

Julian, Welcome to the forum and thnks for the kind words. Seems like you've been lurking for a while.

The Cherokee Fr was the first Tec portable to use their improved ir burners. I just leave mine on its cart but Old Grouch has been known to take it with him to cook for friends and relatives.

In the few years I have used mine, there is absolutely no rust. But I do use a Covermate cover for it to protect against the elements should they occur out here in sunny CA.The hood cover has never warped and I do all my preheats and cooks with the hood closed. It may look flimsy but it is not. The design works.

But you do need a cart or table. The G-Sport, not the Cherokee FR, is fire rated to sit on any combustible surface like wood so an outdoor counter made of almost anything would be fine for it. The G-Sport comes with a regulator hose to use with a 20 lb. lp tank whereas it is a necessary option for the Cherokee Fr.

Despite the given width of the G-Sport, the measurement does include the handles so the cart does not have to be so wide. Here's the cart I would purchase for the G-Sport.

http://www.handtrucks.com/carts/utility-ca...servicecart.cfm

I use a similar one for the Cherokee. The lp tank easily fits on the bottom shelf along with my cleaning supplies.

Also Vanole has given us a heads up introductory review of the 24" AOG which is called a portable but realy is not.

http://www.bbqsource-forums.com/invboard/i...?showtopic=7778

And Jim, all of my grills and kitchen appliances are very sexy. Maybe it's my age. :lol:

Shelly

Thanks for those points - the guy at the store said you can never cook with the cover closed on the Cherokee as it will warp the cover - you have proven otherwise.

- the G-sport is a good looking grill but its $1800 with the pedestal - i dont like that pedestal that much
but sorry to say - i dont think the wife would go for the cart idea at all - its a mechanics cart in blue and i dont think it will suit the grill
will it work - YES - but it just wont look right

other options for me would be to buy the Cherokee and get a custom made curved (YES) 304 stainless hood
i have to post some pictures of my full 304ss Spiedini grill - this is the rage out in Northern Toronto's Italian community
http://www.hitekmila...oduct.html?id=8
http://www.spiedinibbq.com/ (check out pic on the right side)
the sticks of spiedini are 5inch in size and fit perfectly in the slots for direct grilling - no grates needed
this same guy who made that grill for me said he can do anything in 304 custom i need
now just how much
Personalized "lil Chubbzy" 48 Slot Full 304SS Spiedini Charcoal Grill- www.hitekmilan.ca/product.html?id=8

Wish List:

#36 User is offline   old_grouch 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 September 2010 - 07:23 AM

hello juliancanada & welcome to the source

the aluminum shell on my TEC cherokee dont bother me at all & there is zero warpage
from 100's of closed cover pre-heats , cooks & burn-offs after the cooks.

customizing one with a stainless lid wood be a personal option & if ya got the cash go fer it

bottom line is that what sets a TEC apart from the other grills mentioned is whats under the hood

given shelly's history of buyin , tryin & returnin cooking tools that didnt deliver im sure his
TEC cherokee wood have been out the door long ago :lol:

#37 User is offline   juliancanada 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 September 2010 - 12:22 AM

View Postold_grouch, on Sep 4 2010, 08:23 AM, said:

[font="Comic Sans MS"][size=3][color="#0000FF"]

bottom line is that what sets a TEC apart from the other grills mentioned is whats under the hood

this is the main reason i chose to consider the TEC
then started looking and found the only people to unbiasly help - shelly and you
http://www.tecinfrared.com/history.php
the old man Bill Best seems to be one of the pioneers in the industry - and you guys love the product

the TEC item is the front runner for me

Wish List:

#38 User is offline   shelly 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Feeding Alice: A Love Story now available. Please visit my web site.

Posted 05 September 2010 - 10:12 AM

View Postjuliancanada, on Sep 4 2010, 10:22 PM, said:

this is the main reason i chose to consider the TEC
then started looking and found the only people to unbiasly help - shelly and you
http://www.tecinfrared.com/history.php
the old man Bill Best seems to be one of the pioneers in the industry - and you guys love the product

the TEC item is the front runner for me

Julian, I can only repeat that when I want to grill any piece of meat, fish, tofu, vegetables et al, I chose to use the Tec over my Weber and other grills 90% of the time if not more. I'm just cooking for two people but my cherokee will accommodate enough food for 4.

As to the cart, I always keep my grills covered so when we're outside, we never really see the grills/carts, only the covers which are black for all other thant he green one for the big green egg. When I go to use the grill, of course the cover comes off but then you're cookin, not lookin, right? The Tec Cherokee cools off quickly and when the meal is over, I can usually put the cover back on.

Shelly
FE PG500 pellet grill with charbroiler
Weber 2008 Summit S-470
My Cookbook--Feeding Alice: A Love Story
Past Grills: Tec Cherokee Fr IR, GMG DB pellet grill, Big Green Egg, UltraSear IR, Masterbuilt Smoker, Old Smokey, New Brunsfeld Smoker, Weber Genesis 1000, Sears Crossray IR, Fuego Element, Weber Kettle

#39 User is offline   juliancanada 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 September 2010 - 02:42 AM

View Postshelly, on Sep 5 2010, 11:12 AM, said:

Julian, I can only repeat that when I want to grill any piece of meat, fish, tofu, vegetables et al, I chose to use the Tec over my Weber and other grills 90% of the time if not more.

Shelly

The debate is done for me at least
this labour day weekend sealed it
started off saturday morning - my uncle drove in at 1am from Jersey - he cooked on the ships for years and for the hollywood studios
so it was going to be a big food wknd
got up satuday to a power outage and i didnt want to have cereal so we went out to costco they were closed due to the outage,
then the local butcher was doing cash and carry - so i only had change in the car for 2 fillet mignon
now at home got the old cast iron broil mate to 800 - we left it on before we left - and the steaks came out perfect

at nite we did lobster tails, mussels with white wine and steaks for those who didnt get any for breakfast
we even topped the steaks with a cream sauce that contained mushrooms and shrimps - everything came out perfect

today started at noon on the weber smokey mountain WSM doing tandoori beer butt chicken(me) - smoked 4 hrs at 225degrees
plus jerk chicken(father in law) and deviled chicken(uncle)

Finally all the chicken ended up on the grill - my beer butt was just to Crisp the skin

THEN the failier - the Flare Ups - but the grill was full - scrambling to move things

sooo this proved something
we can cook outside quite well
we have a grill that gets hot for our steaks and we have a powerfull dedicated propane burner

but what we really need is a TEC
for Quick start up - to cook in the winter - our grill is taking 20-30min to get up there now
for Quick cooldown - to cover it up
but mainly to avoid the Flareups - and to be able to pour the Marinades over the meat (please watch the BBQguys videos of TEC grills)
and u can even do bacon on the TEC

wife said if one big grill comes in - one grill has to go
she is sick of me moving things around the house

so i guess it could only be a TEC cherokke

as for the quote i am commenting on
i guess its worth $700 to find out why Shelly is reaching for this grill 90% of the time LOL i trust him its a good product

finally we are in the Topic of the Weber summit S470 vs TEC G-Sport
and for the OP desertdragon (sorry didnt mean to hijack this post) -
he said he cooked for 4 people his family 2x a month
he entertained for 8-10 people 1x per month
he set up a 1k budget and found these 2 grills in the same price point but way different
he had cooked mainly on charcoal before and wanted that effect on steaks

i will answer the question with my CSI mind
because you only grill about 3x month
BUY THE WEBER
its what u are supposed to do

the Weber is like Toyota - largest car company, largest grill company - both have had Recals
the TEC is like a Subaru - drifferent - all time 4wd - all time IR

Millions of boys in America grow up dreaming of a weber
i was in Canada but one of those kids
when my friend picked one up, on a spur of the moment sunday for big bucks at homedepot 10yrs back
i helped him put it together and dreamed all the way of myself someday

the weber comes on a stainless steel cart, you can cover it up and it will be waiting for you
the G-sport will look trivial to your guests - no cart (its $500 more for pedestal) and u will have to carry it and place it somewhere,
it will be heavy so you will need someones help to carry it - again wont look right
no knobs in the front - let alone glow in the dark
no LED light, no tuck away rotis (even though u might never use it), no most anything else
the S470 is the TOL Top of the LINE from weber 4 burners
the G-Sport is the entry level full size from TEC

your entertaining crowd is bigger than your 2x cook for the family
get the better entertaining grill of the two
the Weber

Wish List:

#40 User is offline   desertdragon 

• PipPip
  • Group: Grill Mates
  • Interests:
    Golf

Posted 10 September 2010 - 09:58 PM

View Postjuliancanada, on Sep 6 2010, 02:42 AM, said:

The debate is done for me at least
this labour day weekend sealed it
started off saturday morning - my uncle drove in at 1am from Jersey - he cooked on the ships for years and for the hollywood studios
so it was going to be a big food wknd
got up satuday to a power outage and i didnt want to have cereal so we went out to costco they were closed due to the outage,
then the local butcher was doing cash and carry - so i only had change in the car for 2 fillet mignon
now at home got the old cast iron broil mate to 800 - we left it on before we left - and the steaks came out perfect

at nite we did lobster tails, mussels with white wine and steaks for those who didnt get any for breakfast
we even topped the steaks with a cream sauce that contained mushrooms and shrimps - everything came out perfect

today started at noon on the weber smokey mountain WSM doing tandoori beer butt chicken(me) - smoked 4 hrs at 225degrees
plus jerk chicken(father in law) and deviled chicken(uncle)

Finally all the chicken ended up on the grill - my beer butt was just to Crisp the skin

THEN the failier - the Flare Ups - but the grill was full - scrambling to move things

sooo this proved something
we can cook outside quite well
we have a grill that gets hot for our steaks and we have a powerfull dedicated propane burner

but what we really need is a TEC
for Quick start up - to cook in the winter - our grill is taking 20-30min to get up there now
for Quick cooldown - to cover it up
but mainly to avoid the Flareups - and to be able to pour the Marinades over the meat (please watch the BBQguys videos of TEC grills)
and u can even do bacon on the TEC

wife said if one big grill comes in - one grill has to go
she is sick of me moving things around the house

so i guess it could only be a TEC cherokke

as for the quote i am commenting on
i guess its worth $700 to find out why Shelly is reaching for this grill 90% of the time LOL i trust him its a good product

finally we are in the Topic of the Weber summit S470 vs TEC G-Sport
and for the OP desertdragon (sorry didnt mean to hijack this post) -
he said he cooked for 4 people his family 2x a month
he entertained for 8-10 people 1x per month
he set up a 1k budget and found these 2 grills in the same price point but way different
he had cooked mainly on charcoal before and wanted that effect on steaks

i will answer the question with my CSI mind
because you only grill about 3x month
BUY THE WEBER
its what u are supposed to do

the Weber is like Toyota - largest car company, largest grill company - both have had Recals
the TEC is like a Subaru - drifferent - all time 4wd - all time IR

Millions of boys in America grow up dreaming of a weber
i was in Canada but one of those kids
when my friend picked one up, on a spur of the moment sunday for big bucks at homedepot 10yrs back
i helped him put it together and dreamed all the way of myself someday

the weber comes on a stainless steel cart, you can cover it up and it will be waiting for you
the G-sport will look trivial to your guests - no cart (its $500 more for pedestal) and u will have to carry it and place it somewhere,
it will be heavy so you will need someones help to carry it - again wont look right
no knobs in the front - let alone glow in the dark
no LED light, no tuck away rotis (even though u might never use it), no most anything else
the S470 is the TOL Top of the LINE from weber 4 burners
the G-Sport is the entry level full size from TEC

your entertaining crowd is bigger than your 2x cook for the family
get the better entertaining grill of the two
the Weber

Thank you for your input. I have already decided on the G- sport, have not ordered it yet. Currently doing some remodeling of my back patio, waiting for the patio to be completed to buy the TEC. Will keep you guys posted.

#41 User is offline   juliancanada 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 September 2010 - 11:57 PM

View Postdesertdragon, on Sep 10 2010, 10:58 PM, said:

Thank you for your input. I have already decided on the G- sport, have not ordered it yet. Currently doing some remodeling of my back patio, waiting for the patio to be completed to buy the TEC. Will keep you guys posted.

great news i kept looking to see which one u would end up with, so that might bring the numbers on this forum up a bit of TEC users

all the best and post some pictures

at dinner today i told my family i am getting that one (cherokke) and they were happy - its all about the steak for them.

if u havent seen the videos
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=LORNL2jl0T4
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=cT-Rwx-a3JY

on the 2nd one i feel he actually overcooks it a bit because he is not used to the TEC
but its Bloody even cooking

ENJOY
and thanks for the post - its the one that got me to join the group

cheers

Wish List:

#42 User is offline   desertdragon 

• PipPip
  • Interests:
    Golf

Posted 15 September 2010 - 03:23 PM

View Postjuliancanada, on Sep 13 2010, 12:57 AM, said:

great news i kept looking to see which one u would end up with, so that might bring the numbers on this forum up a bit of TEC users

all the best and post some pictures

at dinner today i told my family i am getting that one (cherokke) and they were happy - its all about the steak for them.

if u havent seen the videos
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=LORNL2jl0T4
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=cT-Rwx-a3JY

on the 2nd one i feel he actually overcooks it a bit because he is not used to the TEC
but its Bloody even cooking

ENJOY
and thanks for the post - its the one that got me to join the group

cheers

Hey Julian, thank you for the heads up, I called TEC and placed the order for the G-Sport today:

The grill: $999 (demo unit)
the pedestal $330
warming rack $28
Grill cover $62
Free shipping
Total $1419

#43 User is offline   Abeach2bum 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 September 2010 - 03:56 PM

View Postdesertdragon, on Sep 15 2010, 01:23 PM, said:

Hey Julian, thank you for the heads up, I called TEC and placed the order for the G-Sport today:

The grill: $999 (demo unit)
the pedestal $330
warming rack $28
Grill cover $62
Free shipping
Total $1419

DD -

Is that the earthquake proof pedestal? I live in the foothills east of Yuma, and that 5.0 yesterday morning woke me up!

Good luck with the grill!

beach
Scott
Strada V - Barbeques Galore - Nexgrill Origin LP
4 main buners + one IR sear 60,000 btu
One IR rotisserie burner
One 12,000 btu side burner
Bradley Digital 4 Rack Smoker
MES 30" Smoker Returned after one use - POJ

#44 User is offline   desertdragon 

• PipPip
  • Interests:
    Golf

Posted 15 September 2010 - 04:39 PM

View PostAbeach2bum, on Sep 15 2010, 04:56 PM, said:

DD -

Is that the earthquake proof pedestal? I live in the foothills east of Yuma, and that 5.0 yesterday morning woke me up!

Good luck with the grill!

beach

LOL
5.0 Really, I don't remeber that one, I felt a pretty big one last night.

I figure the end of the world is 2012, so I might as well enjoy a good grill these last 2 years. ;)

I still have not repaired the damages in my house from the last big one 7.2, no biggie, just cosmetic damages. But the man has to has his grill... :P (that's what I told my wife anyways)

#45 User is offline   desertdragon 

• PipPip
  • Interests:
    Golf

Posted 21 September 2010 - 01:57 PM

Just got a call from UPS freight, they will deliver my grill this Friday 9/24, I can't wait, so excited...

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users