Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Goose on the Rotisserie

#1 User is offline   bigfish3 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 November 2010 - 11:35 AM

I am considering the rotisserie for an 11 pound goose.

Does anyone have any insight on this?

I have a summit 650, Turkeys, ducks and all sorts of other critters have graced my spit rod, but to date no goose...

I plan to catch the fat in a pan under the bird as they have more fat than a duck.

Duck can get pretty messy if you dont catch the fat, but more importantly the duck fat is fantastic for cooking potatoes or just about anything else!

I will most likely pierce the skin in the faiitest places, is there anything else to consider in the way of prep?

Cheers,
Butch

#2 User is online   underthehood 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters
  • Interests:
    Fishing, Cooking/Grillin' and Chillin', Wrenching on cars, Finding bargains. Enjoying my grand son.

Posted 29 November 2010 - 12:34 PM

View Postbigfish3, on Nov 29 2010, 10:35 AM, said:

I have a summit 650, Turkeys, ducks and all sorts of other critters have graced my spit rod, but to date no goose...

I plan to catch the fat in a pan under the bird as they have more fat than a duck.

Duck can get pretty messy if you dont catch the fat, but more importantly the duck fat is fantastic for cooking potatoes or just about anything else!

I will most likely pierce the skin in the faiitest places, is there anything else to consider in the way of prep?

Cheers,
Butch

Not really just saw this on Chopped yesterday and one chef got great results treating the goose like duck. And IIRC he rendered the fat and did potatoes too. I have done many ducks on both my Genesis and my Kettle. All with wonderful results. Some of the ducks have done some spinning on the Genesis. Oddly though I have not done one in quite a few years.
Weber Owner
Summit 450, Genesis II (red top), Q220 (Red Top), Big Joe, 22" Kettle, Q140Electric (gave to dad), Ducane 2004, Wolf BBQ 36C

#3 User is offline   Fünfer 

• PipPip
  • Group: Grill Mates

Posted 30 November 2010 - 10:37 AM

View Postbigfish3, on Nov 29 2010, 08:35 AM, said:

Cheers,
Butch

I have eaten goose many times, and I have to say they are one of my favorite kind of meals for the holidays. Nice and crispy on the outside. Tender and juicy on the inside. You can't go wrong with that!! I have never done one myself on the BBQ, but I would think you treat it like a duck or turkey.

I was thinking of doing a turkey myself this year, on the spit.
Do you know how big of a turkey you can get on the spit, without wearing out the motor? I have a S470 which is very similar to the 650 you have. I would think it is the same motor.
Also, when you did turkey before, did you have to worry about it getting too close to the IR burner?
I might have to feed 15 people for Xmas, so it needs to be a pretty big bird, but still clear everything on the rotation.

Cheers

#4 User is offline   bigfish3 

• Pip

Posted 30 November 2010 - 02:24 PM

View PostFünfer, on Nov 30 2010, 11:37 AM, said:

Do you know how big of a turkey you can get on the spit, without wearing out the motor? I have a S470 which is very similar to the 650 you have. I would think it is the same motor.
Also, when you did turkey before, did you have to worry about it getting too close to the IR burner?
I might have to feed 15 people for Xmas, so it needs to be a pretty big bird, but still clear everything on the rotation.

Cheers

I e-mailed the nice folks at weber, they told me that the spit rod can support a mximum of 18 pounds. The turkey that I cooked was pushing that limit!

there was no problem with burner clearance, you will have to remove the grates to put a sheet pan under the bird to catch the drippings though.

Butchers twine was used to ensure that nothing was flapping as the bird went for a spin.

Knowing the rated maximum has posed a few challenges for me as I am currently on the lookout for a suckling pig that is 18 pounds or under.

Cheers,

#5 User is offline   bigfish3 

• Pip

Posted 30 November 2010 - 02:24 PM

View PostFünfer, on Nov 30 2010, 11:37 AM, said:

Cheers

I e-mailed the nice folks at weber, they told me that the spit rod can support a mximum of 18 pounds. The turkey that I cooked was pushing that limit!

there was no problem with burner clearance, you will have to remove the grates to put a sheet pan under the bird to catch the drippings though.

Butchers twine was used to ensure that nothing was flapping as the bird went for a spin.

Knowing the rated maximum has posed a few challenges for me as I am currently on the lookout for a suckling pig that is 18 pounds or under.

Cheers,

Butch

#6 User is offline   Fünfer 

• PipPip
  • Group: Grill Mates

Posted 30 November 2010 - 06:51 PM

View Postbigfish3, on Nov 30 2010, 11:24 AM, said:

Cheers,

Butch

Awesome!!
Thanks for the information. And thanks for asking Weber on the weight limit.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users