BBQ Source Forums: Weber S670 - Rotisserie chicken or roast: Which burners??? - BBQ Source Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Weber S670 - Rotisserie chicken or roast: Which burners???

#1 User is offline   akokki1 

• PipPip
  • Group: Grill Mates

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:29 AM

Finally, my new Weber S670 has arrived. In the past 2 weeks, I have cooked on it 9 times. Really a beauty to look at and a beast of a grill. So, tomorrow I will try my first attempt at rotisserie. I know this has been discussed before but I could not find answers specific for S670. Weber advises to light the infrared burner until you get the skin color desired and then use indirect cooking. For those familiar with the S670: can you offer your wisdom so I can impress my wife (and maybe she stops complaining about the price tag....:-))
1. How long do you keep the back burner on? Is it on at the start of the cooking or at the end?
2. Which burners dfo you keep on and at which setting?
3. For chicken and pork roast what temperature do you attempt to maintain?
4. Do you recommend also using the smoker for some extra smokey taste?

Thank you all

Andreas

#2 User is offline   Vindii 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters
  • Interests:
    Golf, BBQ

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:45 AM

View Postakokki1, on Dec 20 2010, 09:29 AM, said:

Finally, my new Weber S670 has arrived. In the past 2 weeks, I have cooked on it 9 times. Really a beauty to look at and a beast of a grill. So, tomorrow I will try my first attempt at rotisserie. I know this has been discussed before but I could not find answers specific for S670. Weber advises to light the infrared burner until you get the skin color desired and then use indirect cooking. For those familiar with the S670: can you offer your wisdom so I can impress my wife (and maybe she stops complaining about the price tag....:-))
1. How long do you keep the back burner on? Is it on at the start of the cooking or at the end?
2. Which burners dfo you keep on and at which setting?
3. For chicken and pork roast what temperature do you attempt to maintain?
4. Do you recommend also using the smoker for some extra smokey taste?

Thank you all

Andreas

I dont have a 670 but I think I can help.

1. Leave the back burner on until you get the skin crispy. This will just be by eye. Keep other burners set lower to offset the additional heat from the IR burner. Shoot for a hood temp of 350-400. Once you shut down the IR burner you may need to adjust the outside burners to compensate.

2. Use the outside (far left and right burners) for indirect cooking. Adjust to get hood temp above.

3. For chicken I shoot for 165-170 in the thickest part of the bird.

4. Chicken taste good with some smoke added. I have not heard alot of good things about the 670 stock smoker box but give it a shot.

It's pretty hard to cook a bad chicken on a rotisserie. Your wife should be impressed.
Bubba Keg (2010)
Big Steel Keg (2011)
Weber Genesis EP-310 (2010)
Weber Smokey Joe

#3 User is offline   CashCrzzy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 December 2010 - 02:04 PM

Hey I have the s670 and I have to agree with vindii But I leave the infrared burner on the whole time and the whole time I have both end burners on med not the smoker box though.unless you are smoking but if you are smoking you wont taste any smoke with the skin on !! remove the grates and put in drip pan.
Time unknown. "" temp most important "" The last chicken I did I stuffed it with butter and seasonings it was real good. give the butter a try

#4 User is offline   yooper829 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Grilling!
    Helping people on the bbq-source forum! (sometimes whether they want help or not!!)
    Computers!
    Traveling!

Posted 21 December 2010 - 01:12 PM

Ok...has anyone actually done a prime rib using the rotisierre on a 670? Ive read about it but a little unsure about the whole process.... :lol:
2009 WEBER Summit S670 NG
2010 WEBER Performer Charcoal-Brick Red

Help support the BBQ Source Forums,Click here to make a donation

#5 User is offline   underthehood 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Fishing, Cooking/Grillin' and Chillin', Wrenching on cars, Finding bargains. Enjoying my grand son.

Posted 21 December 2010 - 01:30 PM

View Postyooper829, on Dec 21 2010, 12:12 PM, said:

Ok...has anyone actually done a prime rib using the rotisierre on a 670? Ive read about it but a little unsure about the whole process.... :lol:

I have done them on my Genesis II and it was superb! FWIW I was fishing with my buddy one day on the Madison WI chain and we stopped for lunch at the "Green Lantern" IIRC. Next door was a private home and they were obviously having a party of some sort. Well guess what?! they were deep frying a prime rib!! When it came out it looked gorgeous too.
Weber Owner
Summit 450, Genesis II (red top), Q220 (Red Top), Big Joe, 22" Kettle, Q140Electric (gave to dad), Ducane 2004, Wolf BBQ 36C

#6 User is offline   yooper829 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Grilling!
    Helping people on the bbq-source forum! (sometimes whether they want help or not!!)
    Computers!
    Traveling!

Posted 21 December 2010 - 05:23 PM

View Postunderthehood, on Dec 21 2010, 12:30 PM, said:

I have done them on my Genesis II and it was superb! FWIW I was fishing with my buddy one day on the Madison WI chain and we stopped for lunch at the "Green Lantern" IIRC. Next door was a private home and they were obviously having a party of some sort. Well guess what?! they were deep frying a prime rib!! When it came out it looked gorgeous too.

DEEP FRYING?? Wow...dont know I would try that with a $125 piece of meat! lol But I guess people will deep fry just about anything!
2009 WEBER Summit S670 NG
2010 WEBER Performer Charcoal-Brick Red

Help support the BBQ Source Forums,Click here to make a donation

#7 User is offline   underthehood 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Fishing, Cooking/Grillin' and Chillin', Wrenching on cars, Finding bargains. Enjoying my grand son.

Posted 22 December 2010 - 09:17 AM

View Postyooper829, on Dec 21 2010, 04:23 PM, said:

DEEP FRYING?? Wow...dont know I would try that with a $125 piece of meat! lol But I guess people will deep fry just about anything!

It's what I thought. Background: This guy was an executive chef during his varied career. He says the theory is sound. It surrounds the meat with heat and seals/sears it quickly without drying. I will say the end result they pulled out of that fryer made us almost leave the restaurant and crash their party :lol: Part of the fun of taking a large piece of dead beast for me though and roasting it or spinning it on the rotiss, is the visceral pleasures of smoke and aroma. Not just the end result.
Weber Owner
Summit 450, Genesis II (red top), Q220 (Red Top), Big Joe, 22" Kettle, Q140Electric (gave to dad), Ducane 2004, Wolf BBQ 36C

#8 User is offline   TomT 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 31 December 2010 - 06:19 PM

One of my first cooks on my new S-670 was a Prime Rib my brother got me as a birthday present.
Posted Image

It was goooooooood. :D

Oh, I forget the actual weight but it was right at the limit of the rotisserie's motor. It wasn't smoothly rotating as much as it was going most of the way around and then flopping over for the last 15% of each rotation.
2010 Summit S-670 - “The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price has passed.”

#9 User is offline   greyhoundfan 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 31 December 2010 - 07:32 PM

TomT that is one nice piece of prime rib!!

#10 User is offline   underthehood 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:

Posted 01 January 2011 - 10:26 AM

View PostTomT, on Dec 31 2010, 05:19 PM, said:

One of my first cooks on my new S-670 was a Prime Rib my brother got me as a birthday present.
Posted Image

It was goooooooood. :D

Oh, I forget the actual weight but it was right at the limit of the rotisserie's motor. It wasn't smoothly rotating as much as it was going most of the way around and then flopping over for the last 15% of each rotation.

I suppose our invitations got lost in the mail?! :)
Weber Owner

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users