BBQ Source Forums: Jenn Air 720-0720 now being sold at Costco - BBQ Source Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Jenn Air 720-0720 now being sold at Costco

#1 User is offline   sdphotoman 

• Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:
    Photography

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:16 AM

Hello fellow BBQSource Forum Member's,

I am currently in the market for an affordable BBQ. Yesterday, I went to Costco and ran across a "Jenn Air Model # 720-0720" (Made by Nexgrill) Costco item# 448676 for a price of $699.00. I have searched the Internet for any type of a review and I'm guessing by the fact that it is NOT really a Jenn Air and it is a Nexgrill in disguise that this may be the reason why I have come up short on user reviews.

It seems like a pretty sturdy unit to me and the advert attached to the grill states that is has 445 stainless steel. Can anyone fill in the blanks for me with regards to this BBQ? I have compared it with a Charbroil BBQ that is currently on sale at Lowes and after doing so the Jenn Air has superior materials used in its construction.

Any information would be helpful.

BBQ IS WHAT I LIKE TO DO!

#2 User is offline   RonG 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:29 AM

sdphotoman,

I don't have any experience with the Costco Jenn-airs, but I did have the last year of the Lowes JA's which were 400 series stainless (I think that nexgrill cs said it was 443). The firebox failed miserably at the 2.5 years mark. The bottom (drip diverter) burned through in two places where the flame tamers didn't protect it--huge hand size holes. The rear of the firebox below the flame tamer shelf had two holes also. The rest of the firebox was covered with coarse, flaking rust. My grill sat under a covered patio and was cleaned every 3-4 months by scraping the firebox with a plastic putty knife. I was happy with the grill until I discovered the magnitude of the corrosion and I could not recommend any stainless steel grill without a firebox constructed from 304 stainless, especially a Nexgrill.

#3 User is offline   Opusx324 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Mates
  • Interests:
    Golf<br />Fine Bourbons<br />Fine Single Malts<br />Fine Hand Rolled Cigars<br />

Posted 07 January 2011 - 03:30 PM

View Postsdphotoman, on Jan 7 2011, 10:16 AM, said:

Hello fellow BBQSource Forum Member's,

I am currently in the market for an affordable BBQ. Yesterday, I went to Costco and ran across a "Jenn Air Model # 720-0720" (Made by Nexgrill) Costco item# 448676 for a price of $699.00. I have searched the Internet for any type of a review and I'm guessing by the fact that it is NOT really a Jenn Air and it is a Nexgrill in disguise that this may be the reason why I have come up short on user reviews.

It seems like a pretty sturdy unit to me and the advert attached to the grill states that is has 445 stainless steel. Can anyone fill in the blanks for me with regards to this BBQ? I have compared it with a Charbroil BBQ that is currently on sale at Lowes and after doing so the Jenn Air has superior materials used in its construction.

Any information would be helpful.

sdphotoman

I have one of the early 304 stainless JA's so the one your looking at is of a lower grade stainless. Over all the JA are good grills with lot's of features for the monies. If you are comparing to a Char Broil and the price is in the range I would go with the JA. I have had a Commerical CHar Broil and did not have good luck with it. From what I have read here on the forum is that Costco really stands behind what the sell, which would make the JA better. I know Lowes does a very good job on backing up what they sell also, but it just seems Costco sounds better.

Now for the bad news, no matter which one you chose, I don't think either will last past 5 years without really good care on your part. If I really wanted a excellet grill, I would look at some thing made of the 304 stainless. Get ready to drop some major bucks and look at the company and their warranty to help make your decision.

Good Luck and Great Grilling
Nothing Better than a Good Steak
Woodford Reserve on the Rocks
And A fine hand rolled Cigar to finsh

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have" (Gerald Ford)

#4 User is offline   sdphotoman 

• Pip
  • Interests:
    Photography

Posted 07 January 2011 - 06:16 PM

Thanks for the information. :)

Can either of you offer me any suggestions on a grill with 304 stainless? If that's what it's going to take to get me an excellent grill, I'm good with that. I want a grill that will last 7 to 10 years. I'm getting frustrated having to shell out 3 to 4 hundred bucks every 3 to 4 years for a crappy grill. If I have to step it up in price, I suppose I will.

Rumor has it that the "Weber S-670" may be what I need to get if I am to expect up to 10 years of service from my grill.

I welcome your input, ideas, and expertise. :)
BBQ IS WHAT I LIKE TO DO!

#5 User is offline   RonG 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 January 2011 - 07:33 PM

sdphotoman,

The Webers are not 304 stainless, but they should last for 10 years plus.

#6 User is offline   Grilling Rob 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:27 PM

View Postsdphotoman, on Jan 7 2011, 05:16 PM, said:

Can either of you offer me any suggestions on a grill with 304 stainless? If that's what it's going to take to get me an excellent grill, I'm good with that. I want a grill that will last 7 to 10 years. I'm getting frustrated having to shell out 3 to 4 hundred bucks every 3 to 4 years for a crappy grill. If I have to step it up in price, I suppose I will.

Rumor has it that the "Weber S-670" may be what I need to get if I am to expect up to 10 years of service from my grill.

I saw a Lynx grill in a store once and it was just gorgeous. I still have dreams about that grill. They are made of 304 SS and from looking at the sturdiness and quality of construction, I have no doubts it would last a lifetime, and probably your grandchildren's' lifetime too. That's what I'll buy when I win the Lotto. Of course, they run around $5K....
lynxgrills.com

Rob
Member's Mark Professional 304 Grade Stainless Steel Gas Grill
M3207ALP (Manufactured by Grand Hall)
February 2008

LP Gas - 72,000 BTU total
12,000 BTU Main burners x 3
12,000 BTU Infrared searing burner
12,000 BTU Infrared rotisserie burner
12,000 BTU Side burner
882 square inches of barbecuing bliss
Rotisserie
Cover
Every accessory gadget sold
============
Brinkmann Smoke-N-Grill
Vertical water smoker

#7 User is offline   Opusx324 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Golf<br />Fine Bourbons<br />Fine Single Malts<br />Fine Hand Rolled Cigars<br />

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:32 PM

View Postsdphotoman, on 07 January 2011 - 06:16 PM, said:

Sorry I was so late replying to your question, but I have not been on the forum in awhile. I would look at the Weber Summit due to the warranty they come with. I think you will end up spending around $1,500 for one depending on the features. As to a Jenn Air I would look on Craigs List and try to find a model 720-336 or earlier for the 304 SS, also test it with a magnet to make sure it will not stick to a 304 SS. I have found several on CL and they run about $300. They have a life time warrranty on the Stainless parts so most of the time nextgrill will send you the part all you do is pay $16 shipping. All of the older JA have some heating issues, but most of the time replacing the regulator fixes the problem. make sure the last three model numbers are 336 or lower for an older unit. Lowes sold the 336 model in 2007 so they may be getting harder to find.
Nothing Better than a Good Steak
Woodford Reserve on the Rocks
And A fine hand rolled Cigar to finsh

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have" (Gerald Ford)

#8 User is offline   CraigJ 

• Pip

Posted 25 January 2011 - 04:03 PM

I purchased this 720-0720 Bronze beauty of a grill at Costco late in the fall last year and have used it almost every day since then and I am really impressed.

First it fires up every time and heats up quickly - I have three heavy duty all stainless steel cooking grates that make grillin a true joy!

I converted my grill to natural gas by purchasing the conversion kit sold through Costco.com. It took me less than 1 hour to do the conversion and the support from the Nexgrill - Jenn Air support staff was really good.

My grill also came with a deluxe cover, electronic timer and a halogen main firebox light which I have used nightly throughout this cold winter.

Overall rating A++++. No problems only happy well fed family members who want more!

Thank you Nexgrill.

#9 User is offline   Super 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:31 AM

View PostGrilling Rob, on 07 January 2011 - 11:27 PM, said:

I saw a Lynx grill in a store once and it was just gorgeous. I still have dreams about that grill. They are made of 304 SS and from looking at the sturdiness and quality of construction, I have no doubts it would last a lifetime, and probably your grandchildren's' lifetime too. That's what I'll buy when I win the Lotto. Of course, they run around $5K....
lynxgrills.com

Rob

Never hurts to dream
I like em too!

#10 User is offline   Grilling Rob 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 January 2011 - 11:38 PM

View PostCraigJ, on 25 January 2011 - 04:03 PM, said:

I purchased this 720-0720 Bronze beauty of a grill at Costco late in the fall last year and have used it almost every day since then and I am really impressed.

Overall rating A++++. No problems only happy well fed family members who want more!

Thank you Nexgrill.

How about some pictures? I can't find it on the Costco website.
Extra credit if the pictures include food. :)

Rob
Member's Mark Professional 304 Grade Stainless Steel Gas Grill
M3207ALP (Manufactured by Grand Hall)
February 2008

LP Gas - 72,000 BTU total
12,000 BTU Main burners x 3
12,000 BTU Infrared searing burner
12,000 BTU Infrared rotisserie burner
12,000 BTU Side burner
882 square inches of barbecuing bliss
Rotisserie
Cover
Every accessory gadget sold
============
Brinkmann Smoke-N-Grill
Vertical water smoker

#11 User is offline   Buck Hemenway 

• Pip

Posted 08 February 2011 - 05:40 PM

I can only add what I know. In the first place, the Jenn Air name is owned by Whirlpool Corp. They have an extensive consumer testing program called P-12, that is extremely thorough. That's where the Maytag Man came from (Maytag is also owned by Whirlpool). They oversee everything about a product made under their brand name.

Retail companies, such as Costco cannot stand huge fluctuations in price. They just won't allow their members to get confused by big price swings on a given item. They were completely sold on 304 SS which has a minimum nickle content of 8%. When nickle increased in price by more than 50 times in one calendar year, the price of the resulting steel went up more than triple. The products made from that steel, obviously increased as a percentage of the raw material in them.

The industry has reeled from 304 fluctuation. Is there any wonder why grills with solid cast 304SS are no longer made? There is a new steel alloy group that was invented in Japan. The numbers 443 and 445 SS have crept in to our vocabulary as a result. Every consumer testing laboratory, including Whirlpool has rated 445 as equivilent to 304 in corrosion resistance. Instead of using nickle as the binding agent in the steel, this group uses titanium. A very small percentage, but thats it.

The industry jumped on the 445 bandwagon, and as an overall change, it has been successful. BUT in the process of trying to contain cost increases, the various thicknesses of steel were lessened and the resulting products suffered.

You will notice, if you look at the 720-0720 at Costco this season, several things.
1. The wall thickness of the 304 SS tube burners is 16% thicker than 2010.
2. The firebox is no longer made from 445 SS, it is made from a much thicker steel that is porcelain coated.
3. The hood and other exposed pieces of steel are 445 and should last a long time

This new generation of Jenn Air products is superior to recent years. maybe not up to pre-nickle raise times, but an excellent product.

This post has been edited by Buck Hemenway: 08 February 2011 - 05:46 PM

#12 User is offline   Mama's Smoke 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Grilling/Smoking
    Wine and dinner by the pool with the Hubs
    Travel

Retired June 2011 after 32 years teaching high school

Posted 14 May 2011 - 03:22 PM

First it fires up every time and heats up quickly - I have three heavy duty all stainless steel cooking grates that make grillin a true joy!

I converted my grill to natural gas by purchasing the conversion kit sold through Costco.com. It took me less than 1 hour to do the conversion and the support from the Nexgrill - Jenn Air support staff was really good.

My grill also came with a deluxe cover, electronic timer and a halogen main firebox light which I have used nightly throughout this cold winter.

Thank you Nexgrill.

I am looking at the same grill at Costco. Do you still like yours? Any problems?
Hook 'Em Horns
Weber Genesis S330 (Brick Red)
MES 30" (Love it)

#13 User is offline   Mama's Smoke 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Grilling/Smoking
    Wine and dinner by the pool with the Hubs
    Travel

Retired June 2011 after 32 years teaching high school

Posted 14 May 2011 - 03:24 PM

Thank you Nexgrill.

And was it difficult to assemble?
Hook 'Em Horns
Weber Genesis S330 (Brick Red)
MES 30" (Love it)

#14 User is offline   RP88739 

• Pip

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:23 AM

View PostMama, on 14 May 2011 - 03:24 PM, said:

And was it difficult to assemble?

I just picked one of these up over the weekend at Costco. Here are a few observations based on two uses...

Assembly was pretty straight-forward. All I needed was a phillips screwdriver. Probably took me 30-40 minutes total. The main unit is all pre-assembled, so it's mainly a matter of bolting on the side pieces.

Firing up all main burners got the temperature up to 500-600 reasonably quick. It seemed to cool down pretty quickly with the lid open, though it was a bit cooler and windy where I live. My old grill had the burners closer to the grates than this one, so there is a bit of a difference in how it cooks. I think I just have to adjust my cooking style to how this grill cooks.

The side IR burner gets nice and hot. I grilled some burgers by first cooking them over the side burner and then transferring them inside the grill to finish at a lower temp. It definitely seared the meat nicely and I'm looking forward to trying this with some steaks.

One of my front storage area doors was a bit dented out of the box. I called the support line and they shipped out a new one no questions asked. It should be pretty easy to install once it arrives.

Hopefully the exterior 445 stainless holds up. I'm much more familiar with the characteristics of the 304 grade stuff. Fortunately the grill comes with a pretty nice cover. The material seems durable yet pliable. I expect that should protect it from most of the elements. It also has a mesh area about 2/3 down that allows a little air circulation.

My old grill was an ancient, mid-range Charbroil unit that was rusting away to dust. That one did last for almost 18 years, though. I'm hoping this one holds up for a few years with some care.

The main cooking area is pretty generously sized and should meet my needs for the foreseeable future. The control knobs are nice and solid. One thing I noticed about many of the lower-end grills out there is their use of light-weight chromed plastic knobs. They look okay from a distance, but feel really cheap when you grab them. This JA doesn't have that problem.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users