• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New Huge Jenn-Air Grill

#1 User is offline   BBQRick 

• Pip
  • Group: Grill Mates

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:20 AM

I went to Costco and ran across a "Jenn Air Model # 720-0727" (Made by Nexgrill?) Costco item# 448820 for a price of $1599.00. It seems to have everything. SS, 5 burners, searing burner, oven. Any one have experience with this "delux kitchen" beast or know where I can get more details on it?

#2 User is offline   Robamus 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:49 AM

I saw that yesterday too. Looked decent, but I think there was a thread on this recently.....
2005 Jenn-Air 720-0016 3 Burner - NG
2007 BBQ Grillware 20K Smoker - NG
2012 22.5" Weber "Copperhead" Grill - Gold Conversion
2008 Weber Smokey Joe

3-Dog Cleanup Crew; Marley, Ginger, and Don Vito

#3 User is offline   underthehood 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters
  • Interests:
    Fishing, Cooking/Grillin' and Chillin', Wrenching on cars, Finding bargains. Enjoying my grand son.

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:53 AM

View PostBBQRick, on 14 February 2011 - 10:20 AM, said:

I went to Costco and ran across a "Jenn Air Model # 720-0727" (Made by Nexgrill?) Costco item# 448820 for a price of $1599.00. It seems to have everything. SS, 5 burners, searing burner, oven. Any one have experience with this "delux kitchen" beast or know where I can get more details on it?

Again it's a flash over substance type product. Many will "fall" for it only to be scratching their heads 1 or 2 years later when it fails them and there is no service for it.
Weber Owner
Summit 450, Genesis II (red top), Q220 (Red Top), Big Joe, 22" Kettle, Q140Electric (gave to dad), Ducane 2004, Wolf BBQ 36C

#4 User is offline   BBQRick 

• Pip

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:21 AM

View Postunderthehood, on 14 February 2011 - 10:53 AM, said:

Again it's a flash over substance type product. Many will "fall" for it only to be scratching their heads 1 or 2 years later when it fails them and there is no service for it.

I purchased one of the Kirkland / Nexgrill full stainless steel grills in 2003 for $799. It is still growing strong but I'm not particularly fond of the flame tamer set up and I am intrigued with the new searing burners that are available. If this new grill is of the same quality as my current one, longevity will not be a problem. I'm fairly certain there are parts available and besides if this thing really blew out after 1 to 2 years Cosco would make it good.

Yes, I would prefer a Lynx model but these would be over three times the money. Has anyone else had some experience with this particular model or know where I can get some more detail and full specifications?

#5 User is offline   underthehood 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Fishing, Cooking/Grillin' and Chillin', Wrenching on cars, Finding bargains. Enjoying my grand son.

Posted 14 February 2011 - 12:51 PM

Back in 2003 they were a higher quality SS. Do a search (I forgot who posted) on how their Nexgrill (stainless steel) is completely rusted through. So what if Costco makes it good? I went through the same thing a few years ago with Sam's. Yeah they made good but who the heck wants to have to move and wheel that monster in the store when it does fail? I never want to go through that again. I'll find a better way to spend $1600.
Weber Owner
Summit 450, Genesis II (red top), Q220 (Red Top), Big Joe, 22" Kettle, Q140Electric (gave to dad), Ducane 2004, Wolf BBQ 36C

#6 User is offline   Ronald 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:
    Fishing, Cooking

Posted 15 February 2011 - 05:04 AM

View PostBBQRick, on 14 February 2011 - 10:20 AM, said:

Dont buy it.
I dont care who makes it
If the grill is not 304SS which is very very exspensive now , then you dont buy it.
You are only asking for trouble.
There are many many post here that explain the difference in SS
SUPPORT THE BBQ SOURCE

2008 Weber Spirit SP320 + Weber Cast Iron Griddle
2014 Traeger Jr Smoker
2012 Char-griller Akorn Steel Kamado
Coleman Roadtrip Sport grill
Happy owner of a Great Outdoors Ironware Gas Grill A05714W(a CFM company) retired to brother in-law

Go RavensPosted Image

Super Bowl XXXV, XLVII CHAMPIONS

#7 User is offline   BBQRick 

• Pip

Posted 15 February 2011 - 09:59 AM

View PostRonald, on 15 February 2011 - 05:04 AM, said:

Dont buy it.
I dont care who makes it
If the grill is not 304SS which is very very exspensive now , then you dont buy it.
You are only asking for trouble.
There are many many post here that explain the difference in SS

I would like to gather a little more information about the grill before I dismiss it completely. Among other details I would like to know what grade stainless steel is used (other than the burners which are 304). My current model is a 720-0011 which also is probably not 304 but holding up well, uncoverd to the elements since 2003.

If I take your advice and only buy 304, what price point would I be looking at?

#8 User is offline   Ronald 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Fishing, Cooking

Posted 15 February 2011 - 03:39 PM

View PostBBQRick, on 15 February 2011 - 09:59 AM, said:

I would like to gather a little more information about the grill before I dismiss it completely. Among other details I would like to know what grade stainless steel is used (other than the burners which are 304). My current model is a 720-0011 which also is probably not 304 but holding up well, uncoverd to the elements since 2003.

Your grill is 304SS so you keep it.
There is nothing currently made at the price point you paid that is better than what you have.
In 2011 304SS is going to cost you north of $2000
Goto the Nexgrill part of this site and use the model number locator to get an actual manual with warranty information on your current Nexgrill.
Because of the quality of the 2003 model year, it makes far more sense to fix your current grill.
There is a parts list in the manual and you can order any part that you need.
There is also contact information in the Nexgrill section.

I am not a big fan of covering grills because depending on where you live it does more harm than good.
SUPPORT THE BBQ SOURCE

2014 Traeger Jr Smoker
Happy owner of a Great Outdoors Ironware Gas Grill A05714W(a CFM company) retired to brother in-law

Go RavensPosted Image

#9 User is offline   Ronald 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Fishing, Cooking

Posted 15 February 2011 - 03:47 PM

View PostBBQRick, on 15 February 2011 - 09:59 AM, said:

There is nothing currently made at the price point you paid that is better than what you have.
Goto the Nexgrill part of this site and use the model number locator to get an actual manual with warranty information on your current Nexgrill.
Because of the quality of the 2003 model year, it makes far more sense to fix your current grill.

I am not a big fan of covering grills because depending on where you live it does more harm than good.
SUPPORT THE BBQ SOURCE

2014 Traeger Jr Smoker

Go RavensPosted Image

#10 User is offline   BBQRick 

• Pip

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:11 PM

View PostRonald, on 15 February 2011 - 03:47 PM, said:

How can I make sure my current grill is 304? The main reason I would consider a new grill is for a sear burner (the oven may be a plus too). I like thick steaks, medium rare but very hot though out. I imagine this would be accomplished best with a sear burner.

The Jumbo Jenn Air I mentioned above I am told has 304 on the hood and wrapped on the cooking grids, but 445 elsewhere. Is that reason enough not to purchase?

I agree with you on not covering the grill as well. It is easier, looks better and seems to be better for the grill.

#11 User is offline   Tubby's Smokehouse 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Smoking/Grilling, Construction, Cross Country Racing, Billiards, Drummer.

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:43 PM

View PostBBQRick, on 15 February 2011 - 10:11 PM, said:

How can I make sure my current grill is 304? The main reason I would consider a new grill is for a sear burner (the oven may be a plus too). I like thick steaks, medium rare but very hot though out. I imagine this would be accomplished best with a sear burner.

The Jumbo Jenn Air I mentioned above I am told has 304 on the hood and wrapped on the cooking grids, but 445 elsewhere. Is that reason enough not to purchase?

I agree with you on not covering the grill as well. It is easier, looks better and seems to be better for the grill.

Rick I have a stand alone 200.00 stainless IR sear station that will reach 1200F it's a great compliment to a nice grill, and will turn out a very nice 3 minute steak
To answer your first question 304ss is non magnetic.
You need to consider the points made in this thread.
1.Ronald mentioned: 304L at the footage needed to construct this nexgrill master piece would be well over 2500.00 even in 24 gauge.
2.Underthehood commented: 400 series all on it's own is not a bad thing, but in the gauge they offer is equivalent to several pieces of tin foil doubled up.
3. Thin 400 series will burn through, corrode, rot, disintegrate, whereas 304 will tolerate a higher temp at any given gauge and is less apt to corrode

When you see a new Weber for example that has 400 series SS, they replaced 18 gauge 304 with 12-14 gauge 404 to save money so they can maintain a price point, but still provide their exceptional warranty, that is not just by chance.

Take say a Viking unit with the same features that the nexgrill has(if they made one) it would not be 1600.00 it would be 12,000.00 and you would have to crane it into your backyard because it would be 8 gauge 304 SS and weigh 1400 pounds.

You mentioned the grates were wrapped in SS? Think about that for a second instead of a solid SS bar they wrapped a iron grate with SS? so I have some nice cast iron grates, if I wrap them in Reynolds non stick aluminum foil would I then have SS grates?.

Price very nice grills here in 2011 and ask yourself why does one manufacture have a no frills grill for 1500 bucks yet the other guy offers a sink, frig, oven. sear station, IR rotto and a 400 dollar rebate.

The pre 08 line of nexgrills were and still are good units, soon as raw metals went through the roof all bets were off.
Ducane Meridian 5 Burner, IR Rotto, Dual Side Burners, Dual Electric Warming Drawers.
CookShack Amerique Electric Smoker.
Chargriller Pro Offset Smoker.
Charmglow IR Drop in Sear Burner
New Braunfels Fire Box.

Visit Don And The Gang Here At The Source on Facebook
http://www.facebook....103762139697620

#12 User is offline   RonG 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 February 2011 - 08:47 AM

View PostBBQRick, on 15 February 2011 - 10:11 PM, said:

BBQRick,

If the firebox is not 304, pass on the grill. Please check out a post I made last year in the Jenn-Air section titled "2008 JA durability" that is still on the first page. I posted photos that show the gross corrosion of the grill after 2.5 years. The grill was made of 44x? stainless and was well maintained. Every other part besides the firebox looked great. By the way, the stainless wrapped grates started to split at 2 years.

#13 User is offline   70chevelle 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Cooking, Mountain Biking, Weightlifting, Woodworking, Muscle Cars, Vintage Garden Tractors, A Cure for OCD!

Posted 16 February 2011 - 09:09 AM

BBQRick - your not only getting some great insight and suggestions, but you're getting them in an excellent manner. Well thought out and without any bashing. I have a pre-'08 Jenn-Air and it has been excellent for me. (The grill as well as the warranty). I will echo what's already been said. Keep your good JennAir, pass on the new one, and spend your money on the extras you're looking for. I also have a seperate 'sear grill/station' that sits beside my JA. A high quality option, that you can search for yourself, would be a TEC Cherokee sear grill. Good Luck!
Weber Genesis Silver B
Jenn-Air 3 Burner NG (730-163) with Rotisserie burner, Side burner, & Rotisserie
Ultra Sear
Big Green Egg (Large) with platesetter
Outdoor Wood Fired Oven

#14 User is offline   BBQRick 

• Pip

Posted 16 February 2011 - 03:28 PM

View Post70chevelle, on 16 February 2011 - 09:09 AM, said:

BBQRick - your not only getting some great insight and suggestions, but you're getting them in an excellent manner. Well thought out and without any bashing. I have a pre-'08 Jenn-Air and it has been excellent for me. (The grill as well as the warranty). I will echo what's already been said. Keep your good JennAir, pass on the new one, and spend your money on the extras you're looking for. I also have a seperate 'sear grill/station' that sits beside my JA. A high quality option, that you can search for yourself, would be a TEC Cherokee sear grill. Good Luck!

I am leaning toward keeping my old grill and purchasing a separate sear burner, but I haven't given up completely. I did a little research on 445 stainless versus 304 and apparently some are saying that the corrosion resistant properties of 445 is superior.

Take a look at the attached PDF. Many aspects of different grades of stainless steel are shown in bar graph comparisons.

Attached File(s)

#15 User is offline   Tubby's Smokehouse 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Smoking/Grilling, Construction, Cross Country Racing, Billiards, Drummer.

Posted 16 February 2011 - 04:02 PM

View PostBBQRick, on 16 February 2011 - 03:28 PM, said:

I am leaning toward keeping my old grill and purchasing a separate sear burner, but I haven't given up completely. I did a little research on 445 stainless versus 304 and apparently some are saying that the corrosion resistant properties of 445 is superior.

Take a look at the attached PDF. Many aspects of different grades of stainless steel are shown in bar graph comparisons.

I have seen that also Rick, the question is, is this nexgrill really 445, and we need to look at national and international pricing on 304L verses 445NF, I know that 445M2 is superior to even 316 for marine grade uses.
Lets just assume for arguments sake that its is actually 445 and is superior to 304, yet it is cheaper to purchase?
304 prices jump 100% in 3 years yet the superior 445 does not?
If 445 is the better choice and more economical why then are high end grills made with 304-316 not 445?
If I turned a beer can inside out and made a grill out of it, stuck it outside of Costco and proclaimed it's 445 stainless, would an unsuspecting consumer purchase it? :D

The warranty on this grill should be lifetime unconditional, is it?

Just a few thoughts B)

jim
Ducane Meridian 5 Burner, IR Rotto, Dual Side Burners, Dual Electric Warming Drawers.
CookShack Amerique Electric Smoker.
Chargriller Pro Offset Smoker.
Charmglow IR Drop in Sear Burner
New Braunfels Fire Box.

Visit Don And The Gang Here At The Source on Facebook
http://www.facebook....103762139697620

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users