Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Natural Gas Connection Best practices for hooking up my grill

#1 User is offline   padawan_griller 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 March 2011 - 09:12 AM

Greetings all, this is my first post so please bear with me as I'm new to the forum. Here's the situation:
  • Finished my backyard a few months ago
  • Just purchased a Weber Summit S-670, natural gas
  • The contractor did not install a valve/connection for me (my fault/ignorance that i didn't check for this)
  • The gas line is 3/4"
My questions are:
  • For the shutoff valve, does it matter if i use a 3/4" valve that then reduces to 1/2" for connection to the quick disconnect of the bbq? Or is it better to reduce first to 1/2" and then use a 1/2" valve? Am I over analyzing this???
  • Is teflon tape made for gas connections sufficient to prevent leaks?
  • Is brass or galvanized steel preferable for the connectors, nipples, etc.? Again, I'm probably over analyzing but I'd like to be sure.
  • Is there anything else I should be considering?
Thanks in advance and I can't wait to share and learn more from the group!

#2 User is offline   underthehood 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters
  • Interests:
    Fishing, Cooking/Grillin' and Chillin', Wrenching on cars, Finding bargains. Enjoying my grand son.

Posted 24 March 2011 - 09:55 AM

View Postpadawan_griller, on 24 March 2011 - 09:12 AM, said:

Greetings all, this is my first post so please bear with me as I'm new to the forum. Here's the situation:
  • Finished my backyard a few months ago
  • Just purchased a Weber Summit S-670, natural gas
  • The contractor did not install a valve/connection for me (my fault/ignorance that i didn't check for this)
  • The gas line is 3/4"
My questions are:
  • For the shutoff valve, does it matter if i use a 3/4" valve that then reduces to 1/2" for connection to the quick disconnect of the bbq? Or is it better to reduce first to 1/2" and then use a 1/2" valve? Am I over analyzing this???
  • Is teflon tape made for gas connections sufficient to prevent leaks?
  • Is brass or galvanized steel preferable for the connectors, nipples, etc.? Again, I'm probably over analyzing but I'd like to be sure.
  • Is there anything else I should be considering?
Thanks in advance and I can't wait to share and learn more from the group!

First use brass fittings. For your valve question re to size, no it does not matter where you reduce. Remember the line to your grill is only 3/8" anyway. Yes Teflon for gas pipes is fine, or the proper plumber's "putty" either way be sure it's rated for gas use and never use galvanized steel for gas.
Weber Owner
Summit 450, Genesis II (red top), Q220 (Red Top), Big Joe, 22" Kettle, Q140Electric (gave to dad), Ducane 2004, Wolf BBQ 36C

#3 User is offline   Rocky 

• PipPip
  • Group: Grill Mates

Posted 24 March 2011 - 05:28 PM

Call a gas fitter... Natural gas has certain line pressurization characteristics... And is often different from region to region.

Or look in your classifieds or ask around your ball or hockey team to see if you have a gas fitter that can help you out...

I work in the HVAC industry, and this is something I wouldn't recommend for a DIY'er.

Never use teflon, use a compound made for NG- teflon is intended for water- not gas... use black pipe for gas, and make sure to do a soap test for leaks.

#4 User is offline   Super 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 March 2011 - 09:13 PM

Ive used this on gas for over 30 years
good stuff ;)

http://rectorseal.co...&product_id=212

http://stores.nextag...Thread-Compound

#5 User is offline   Rocky 

• PipPip
  • Group: Grill Mates

Posted 25 March 2011 - 09:45 AM

View PostSuper, on 24 March 2011 - 09:13 PM, said:

Ive used this on gas for over 30 years
good stuff ;)

http://rectorseal.co...&product_id=212

http://stores.nextag...Thread-Compound

That stuff is great... My techs keep cans of it in their service vans...

It is also suitable for hi PSI applications, and is actually rated for NG.

#6 User is offline   padawan_griller 

• Pip

Posted 29 March 2011 - 08:25 PM

View Postunderthehood, on 24 March 2011 - 09:55 AM, said:

First use brass fittings. For your valve question re to size, no it does not matter where you reduce. Remember the line to your grill is only 3/8" anyway. Yes Teflon for gas pipes is fine, or the proper plumber's "putty" either way be sure it's rated for gas use and never use galvanized steel for gas.

Please help! So I've got all of the connectors, etc. hooked up and leak checked no problem. When I connect the hose from the bbq to the quick-disconnect (male to socket), there is gas leaking from that connection. I would have assumed that once the hose is plugged in and locked to the quick-disconnect there shouldn't be any leakage of gas.

I believe the issue is that the connection is not tight enough and thus my question is, should it be? If this is the issue, are these faulty parts? Should there have been some type of washer to seal the connection? I can't imagine I'm the only one that this has happened to (I hope).

Any advice is greatly appreciated! I have this beautiful bbq that I can't use yet Posted Image

#7 User is offline   Tubby's Smokehouse 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Smoking/Grilling, Construction, Cross Country Racing, Billiards, Drummer.

Posted 29 March 2011 - 08:59 PM

View Postpadawan_griller, on 29 March 2011 - 08:25 PM, said:

Please help! So I've got all of the connectors, etc. hooked up and leak checked no problem. When I connect the hose from the bbq to the quick-disconnect (male to socket), there is gas leaking from that connection. I would have assumed that once the hose is plugged in and locked to the quick-disconnect there shouldn't be any leakage of gas.

I believe the issue is that the connection is not tight enough and thus my question is, should it be? If this is the issue, are these faulty parts? Should there have been some type of washer to seal the connection? I can't imagine I'm the only one that this has happened to (I hope).

Any advice is greatly appreciated! I have this beautiful bbq that I can't use yet Posted Image

All I can tell ya Pad is after years of fighting those quick connect fittings I hardwired mine straight from my grill to my shut off I don't move my grill, so I don't need them anyway
Ducane Meridian 5 Burner, IR Rotto, Dual Side Burners, Dual Electric Warming Drawers.
CookShack Amerique Electric Smoker.
Chargriller Pro Offset Smoker.
Charmglow IR Drop in Sear Burner
New Braunfels Fire Box.

Visit Don And The Gang Here At The Source on Facebook
http://www.facebook....103762139697620

#8 User is offline   underthehood 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Fishing, Cooking/Grillin' and Chillin', Wrenching on cars, Finding bargains. Enjoying my grand son.

Posted 30 March 2011 - 08:41 AM

View Postpadawan_griller, on 29 March 2011 - 08:25 PM, said:

Your fittings are faulty
Weber Owner
Summit 450, Genesis II (red top), Q220 (Red Top), Big Joe, 22" Kettle, Q140Electric (gave to dad), Ducane 2004, Wolf BBQ 36C

#9 User is offline   Super 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 March 2011 - 10:06 AM

View Postunderthehood, on 30 March 2011 - 08:41 AM, said:

Your fittings are faulty

Indeed they are
and get a second opinion too if you're unsure too :unsure:
you can have a serious accident there :(

#10 User is offline   padawan_griller 

• Pip

Posted 31 March 2011 - 10:54 PM

just had my first experience with weber customer support today and they were a+. a 5 min call and there's a new hose and quick-disconnect fitting on the way. hopefully this will fix the problem, i'll be updating in a few days. thanks for all of the feedback!

#11 User is offline   padawan_griller 

• Pip

Posted 07 April 2011 - 02:28 PM

[UPDATE] - just received a new hose and quick disconnect fitting from Weber and everything is working great. Haven't cooked anything but I was finally able to fire up the grill.

So to sum up, here was what the final assembly looked like:

• Used yellow NG teflon tape & Great White Pipe Dope (from Home Depot) on all brass connections
The pieces:
  • 3/4" gas pipe from the meter (installed to code w/permit by my contractor)
  • 3/4" to 1/2" reducer
  • 1/2" nipple
  • 1/2" ball gas valve
  • 1/2" nipple
  • quick disconnect fitting/hose

Thanks for everyone's help, now it's time to grill!!!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users