BBQ Source Forums: Frozen Hamburgers !! What Brand Has The Best ?? - BBQ Source Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Frozen Hamburgers !! What Brand Has The Best ??

#1 User is offline   CashCrzzy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Mates

Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:09 AM

Do you ever have a craving for a burger and don't feel like mixing up and patting out a burger ??
I know that I do,all the time. I have never had a box of frozen burgers in my freezer,
but I would like to add a box for those times when the crave hits. They don't have to be packed with seasonings.
They just need to be the best !!! :D

Please Share your thoughts on what brand has the best burger.
Is there a brand that tastes better cooked medium ?

If there are several different brands I may open a Poll to see who is the best.
I know that weber owners eat the best ,only the BEST will do.
Thank You
Greg A.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: imagesCABICT3P.jpg

#2 User is offline   richlife 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters
  • Interests:
    Woodworking, my daughter's family (2 grandsons), my wife of 44 years, the grilling/smoking life, Affenpinshers Dante (my Tonto) and Mia (who after 2 years still don't trust NOBODY :<), Tar Heel sports, music and home theater.

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:09 AM

We've used Bubba Burgers. Not bad.

Don't know that I would cook ANY pre-made burger to only medium. You'd be taking a big chance there.

Rich
DID YOU KNOW?: To see ALL recent BBQ Source posts since your last visit, click on "View New Content" at the top of the page.
If this post was fun or helpful, consider a donation to The BBQ Source .

UNC Tar Heel '69, '75 -- Retired computer guy, Woodworker/carver
- Weber Genesis EP-330 (Brick Red) w/ SS cabinet and table extensions, 18.5 Weber Smokey Mountain Smoker (2010 Model) / WSM Egg

#3 User is offline   a73elkyss 

• PipPip

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:52 AM

View Postrichlife, on 18 May 2011 - 09:09 AM, said:

Don't know that I would cook ANY pre-made burger to only medium. You'd be taking a big chance there.

Rich

I agree with Rich about the Bubba Burgers. Another thing that I do is use Tupperware Hamburger Press and Freezer Set, make my own burgers and freeze a bunch. No freezer burn and works for me. ;) Youtube demo You can also search on eBay for them.
Posted Image'04 Nissan Frontier CC SC Long Bed - Solar "Can Always Find in a Parking Lot" Yellow - Gibson Cat Back Stainless Side Exhaust-Yokohma Geolandar LT265/75R16 M/T-CenterLine Brush Guard-Optima Yellow top-Privacy glass all around thats legal-Leer 100XQ color matched capPictures viewed at SC-Rhino's web page

Broil-Mate GT Pro Series 735069B Bronze gas grill review

Broil-Mate GT Pro Series 735069B
Modifications:
5 GrillGrates panels for a total 26.25" wide x 13.75" deep grilling surface,GrillGrate Interlocking Raised Rail Panels
For a smoker, I use beanhill74's ,YouTube videoidea of a stainless steel colender lined with a dozen charcoal briquettes, and put the wood chips on top. Smokes for hours and is very low cost.
Pictures of the Grillzebo
pic's & review of grillshift lid prop
Newly aquired Weber Genesis Silver B '00 w/Cast Iron grates. Model 2251411. Needs a restoration, but basics are solid.

#4 User is offline   NightOps 

• PipPip

Posted 18 May 2011 - 10:09 AM

I've used the frozen ones from Aldi's and they aren't too bad. High fat content and not as "meaty" tasting...but good for a large cookout when you don't want to have to mess with forming patties. Only major drawback of *most* frozen patties is that they are all stuck together.

@a73elkyss, I'll have to look into that tupperware kit...looks pretty promising and has great reviews! Added to the Father's Day wish list ;-)
Broil King Signet 90

#5 User is offline   improv 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Fatherhood, Music, Recording, Production, Photography, iPhone, Beer, Camping, Friends, Cooking, & Grilling!

Posted 18 May 2011 - 10:44 AM

I used to get Bubba Burgers and they are good, but you can do a lot better (financially and culinarily) by making your own.

I generally scope out buy-one-get-one offers on 3-lb packs and make 12-24 at a time. I mix it all up with a seasoned panade (2 slices of white bread crumbled and made into a paste with 2 TBSP of milk per 3 lbs of meat... allows you to cook the burger through without it getting stiff and dry) so they're ready to go. To freeze, you can either stack with wax paper squares in between for easier separation later, or you can place 4 per gallon ziplock bag in the corners until they freeze, then consolidate. Mmmm, I think I'm gonna go throw one on right now! :P
Dave

2011 Weber Genesis EP-330 LP black
2001 Weber Genesis Silver A LP
2013 Char-Griller Akorn Kamado Kooker

#6 User is offline   Tubby's Smokehouse 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Smoking/Grilling, Construction, Cross Country Racing, Billiards, Drummer.

Posted 18 May 2011 - 11:06 AM

View Postrichlife, on 18 May 2011 - 09:09 AM, said:

Rich

My opinion on what Rich said goes a little further, I wouldn't cook any store bought ground to only medium, let alone the frozen patties. If I am using store bought ground it's 160F or nothing, at the market any and all bacteria in the place gets ground into their pre ground beef.

If you want killer medium burgers I would suggest purchasing a meat grinder, you can find a fairly decent one for 50 bucks, get some chuck, round steak or sirloin and grind your own, the taste difference is night and day, all of the grinders come with nozzle kits so you can make your own sausages as well.

I mix Chuck or Round with Tri-Tip and they come out fantastic, most often a Chuck roast is 2 bucks a pound, their ground beef is sometimes as much as 4 a pound, so its cheaper, safer and tastes way way better.

When you're feeling chipper bust out the grinder, prep 5 pounds and freeze those. :P

Then you disassemble a few parts throw it in the dishwasher and your good to go, home ground beef, you can eat at med rare if you want.

jim
Ducane Meridian 5 Burner, IR Rotto, Dual Side Burners, Dual Electric Warming Drawers.
CookShack Amerique Electric Smoker.
Chargriller Pro Offset Smoker.
Charmglow IR Drop in Sear Burner
New Braunfels Fire Box.

Visit Don And The Gang Here At The Source on Facebook
http://www.facebook....103762139697620

#7 User is offline   Vindii 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Golf, BBQ

Posted 18 May 2011 - 01:31 PM

View PostTubby, on 18 May 2011 - 11:06 AM, said:

My opinion on what Rich said goes a little further, I wouldn't cook any store bought ground to only medium, let alone the frozen patties. If I am using store bought ground it's 160F or nothing, at the market any and all bacteria in the place gets ground into their pre ground beef.

If you want killer medium burgers I would suggest purchasing a meat grinder, you can find a fairly decent one for 50 bucks, get some chuck, round steak or sirloin and grind your own, the taste difference is night and day, all of the grinders come with nozzle kits so you can make your own sausages as well.

I mix Chuck or Round with Tri-Tip and they come out fantastic, most often a Chuck roast is 2 bucks a pound, their ground beef is sometimes as much as 4 a pound, so its cheaper, safer and tastes way way better.

When you're feeling chipper bust out the grinder, prep 5 pounds and freeze those. :P

Then you disassemble a few parts throw it in the dishwasher and your good to go, home ground beef, you can eat at med rare if you want.

jim

Jim - We eat store bought ground sirloin raw all the time around here. Never had issues. :D Little rye bread and raw onion and it cant be beat.

I agree about the frozen patties though. I normally cook them through. Not sure why I think thats different from store bought fresh ground beef but I do.

I do agree about grinding your own. Brisket makes great burgers too and is pretty cheap.
Bubba Keg (2010)
Big Steel Keg (2011)
Weber Genesis EP-310 (2010)
Weber Smokey Joe

#8 User is offline   improv 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Fatherhood, Music, Recording, Production, Photography, iPhone, Beer, Camping, Friends, Cooking, & Grilling!

Posted 18 May 2011 - 01:37 PM

I just consider myself fortunate in that I actually prefer burgers cooked through for texture and flavor. And with a panade, you don't have to worry about it being dry.

Ok, back to watching saved episodes of America's Test Kitchen. :P I swear they bang home the panade thing like no one else...
Dave

2011 Weber Genesis EP-330 LP black
2001 Weber Genesis Silver A LP
2013 Char-Griller Akorn Kamado Kooker

#9 User is offline   Tubby's Smokehouse 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:

Posted 18 May 2011 - 01:44 PM

View PostVindii, on 18 May 2011 - 01:31 PM, said:

Jim - We eat store bought ground sirloin raw all the time around here. Never had issues. :D

Knock on wood ;)
when my son was 6 he spend a day in the hospital from under cooked ground beef.
Ducane Meridian 5 Burner, IR Rotto, Dual Side Burners, Dual Electric Warming Drawers.
New Braunfels Fire Box.

#10 User is offline   richlife 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Woodworking, my daughter's family (2 grandsons), my wife of 44 years, the grilling/smoking life, Affenpinshers Dante (my Tonto) and Mia (who after 2 years still don't trust NOBODY :<), Tar Heel sports, music and home theater.

Posted 18 May 2011 - 02:12 PM

View PostTubby, on 18 May 2011 - 01:44 PM, said:

Knock on wood ;)

Double on that, jimbo. I WAS mild in my comment compared to you, BUT I'm in TOTAL agreement. Meat packing facilities are NOT sanitary regardless of any USDA inspections (which are frankly rare). Meat that is ground, cut and reassembled and even stew meat, should be considered suspect and cooked to 160*. I agree you can cook it rare and often get away with it. But, unfortunately, you are BEGGING for a serious problem.

Vindii, I hope you will take this to heart. You can control it if you grind your own (and I would clean the meat before doing so) -- you have no control over what has already been ground.

Folks, think about it. Why do so many experienced grillers and smokers say to "wash" your meat before preparing it for grilling/smoking?

Rich
DID YOU KNOW?: To see ALL recent BBQ Source posts since your last visit, click on "View New Content" at the top of the page.
If this post was fun or helpful, consider a donation to The BBQ Source .

UNC Tar Heel '69, '75 -- Retired computer guy, Woodworker/carver
- Weber Genesis EP-330 (Brick Red) w/ SS cabinet and table extensions, 18.5 Weber Smokey Mountain Smoker (2010 Model) / WSM Egg

#11 User is offline   Tubby's Smokehouse 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:

Posted 18 May 2011 - 02:52 PM

View Postrichlife, on 18 May 2011 - 02:12 PM, said:

Double on that, jimbo. I WAS mild in my comment compared to you, BUT I'm in TOTAL agreement. Meat packing facilities are NOT sanitary regardless of any USDA inspections (which are frankly rare). Meat that is ground, cut and reassembled and even stew meat, should be considered suspect and cooked to 160*. I agree you can cook it rare and often get away with it. But, unfortunately, you are BEGGING for a serious problem.

Vindii, I hope you will take this to heart. You can control it if you grind your own (and I would clean the meat before doing so) -- you have no control over what has already been ground.

Folks, think about it. Why do so many experienced grillers and smokers say to "wash" your meat before preparing it for grilling/smoking?

Rich

I hear ya Rich, cleaning the meat is crucial I always rinse, even the meat I get from my butcher, chicken is a must to rinse, many many years ago in my culinary infancy :lol: I started making my own chicken stock, so I throw a whole chicken in the stock pot with a gallon of water, veggies and simmer for a few hours, looking at my stock I am wondering what the heck is that white/grey frothy scum on the top of my broth, so I phone my mother and ask "whats up Mom" after telling me I was a moron asked me if I remember coming into her kitchen as a toddler and asking her why she was "washing the chicken" she said now you have your answer :D :D

So needless to say, I now produce beautiful clean stock, lacking frothy scum, that came from the filth in the meat processing plants, so even if I grill it or spin it on the rotto that birds getting a bath ;)

jimbob
New Braunfels Fire Box.

#12 User is offline   Vindii 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Golf, BBQ

Posted 18 May 2011 - 03:19 PM

View PostTubby, on 18 May 2011 - 01:44 PM, said:

Knock on wood ;)

That would do it for me.
Bubba Keg (2010)
Big Steel Keg (2011)
Weber Smokey Joe

#13 User is offline   Vindii 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Golf, BBQ

Posted 18 May 2011 - 03:23 PM

Raw beef and onions must be a Wisconsin thing. There's a LOT of people around here that eat it on holidays.

Maybe our cows are better. :D
Bubba Keg (2010)
Big Steel Keg (2011)
Weber Smokey Joe

#14 User is offline   Tubby's Smokehouse 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:

Posted 18 May 2011 - 03:25 PM

View PostVindii, on 18 May 2011 - 03:19 PM, said:

That would do it for me.

50 bucks for a meat grinder will put you safely in med rare ground beef heaven :D

Think of all the times we have heard of someone taken to the hospital after a trip to one of the many famous burger chains B) thats why you cant go to a mcdonalds, burger king, jack in the box or what not, and order a med rare burger.

jim
New Braunfels Fire Box.

#15 User is offline   GEWB 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:17 PM

View PostVindii, on 18 May 2011 - 01:31 PM, said:

Jim - We eat store bought ground sirloin raw all the time around here. Never had issues.

Ooowwww, steak tartare - haven't had it in years but love it! Minced sweet onion, a little salt and pepper, a raw egg (mixed in, not on top) - heaven on toast/bagel/toasted muffin. As a kid my dad was a butcher - he knew the slaughter house and ground our beef himself - never had a problem.

Thanks for the memories!

Regards,
GEWB
Spirit SP-310
Special Edition

(stainless steel)

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users