Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Retrofited infrared to my gas grill Gas grill conversion to infrared

#1 User is offline   secrandell 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 June 2011 - 11:10 PM

Just added an infrared burner to my gas grill. I am really excited that this can finally be done without spending a fortune, or having to hack and cut on my grill. I replaced the fourth burner with an 18,000 BTU infrared burner and it worked perfectly. It fit right into the same slot with only a slight modification bend to the back mounting bracket. At first I was concerned that because my grill was not originally made with infrared, or that there was some "magic" that the big companies had on the technology, that I was going to have to break down and spend big bucks on a new grill. Now I don't have to.

My question is, is there anyone else out there that wished they had this solution, or curious about it, or already done it? I would like to share my experience with others out for this quest, or trade stories.

The grill performs exactly like I expected. The burner gets real hot, but not like it's going to make the grill explode like some of those Brinkmans on the market. The burgers were perfectly charred on the outside but juicy in the middle. Now I know how the other half lives!

#2 User is offline   triangle172 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Guests

Posted 12 June 2011 - 10:14 AM

View Postsecrandell, on 11 June 2011 - 11:10 PM, said:

Just added an infrared burner to my gas grill. I am really excited that this can finally be done without spending a fortune, or having to hack and cut on my grill. I replaced the fourth burner with an 18,000 BTU infrared burner and it worked perfectly. It fit right into the same slot with only a slight modification bend to the back mounting bracket. At first I was concerned that because my grill was not originally made with infrared, or that there was some "magic" that the big companies had on the technology, that I was going to have to break down and spend big bucks on a new grill. Now I don't have to.

My question is, is there anyone else out there that wished they had this solution, or curious about it, or already done it? I would like to share my experience with others out for this quest, or trade stories.

The grill performs exactly like I expected. The burner gets real hot, but not like it's going to make the grill explode like some of those Brinkmans on the market. The burgers were perfectly charred on the outside but juicy in the middle. Now I know how the other half lives!

What kind of grill did you modify? Can you post some pictures? Where did you get the IR burner and how much?
Interesting!

#3 User is offline   secrandell 

• Pip

Posted 12 June 2011 - 12:16 PM

I have a Patio Chef I bought in 2008 at Walmart. I didn't have enough to buy a higher end grill, but wanted a stainless steel one that wasn't too flimsy. I was pretty happy with it, but really wanted more heat from the burners to cook a decent steak. I know that I don't qualify as a BBQ extraordinaire because I have grill manufactured outside of the US, but its all I have, and so its what I use.

Shortly after I bought my grill, they started coming out with infrared versions for only about $100 more. I was really disappointed but I wasn't going to spring for another grill. I heard later that those cheaper infrared grills didn't work like they should anyway. But I kept searching the internet for some kind of retrofit solution to no avail. Even now there are not many solutions that are economical, or you don't have to be an engineer to attempt.

After much searching, I found a company that has different sizes, applications, and BTU's for BBQ grills, heaters, ovens etc, but that didn't charge an arm and a leg. So I bought one for under $100 and installed it in my grill. I'll send the link in a later post.

Here are a few pictures of the burner:

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: IMG00393-20110610-1511a.jpg
  • Attached Image: IMG00394-20110610-1512a.jpg
  • Attached Image: IMG00396-20110610-1519a.jpg

#4 User is offline   triangle172 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Guests

Posted 13 June 2011 - 03:30 AM

View Postsecrandell, on 12 June 2011 - 12:16 PM, said:

I have a Patio Chef I bought in 2008 at Walmart. I didn't have enough to buy a higher end grill, but wanted a stainless steel one that wasn't too flimsy. I was pretty happy with it, but really wanted more heat from the burners to cook a decent steak. I know that I don't qualify as a BBQ extraordinaire because I have grill manufactured outside of the US, but its all I have, and so its what I use.

Shortly after I bought my grill, they started coming out with infrared versions for only about $100 more. I was really disappointed but I wasn't going to spring for another grill. I heard later that those cheaper infrared grills didn't work like they should anyway. But I kept searching the internet for some kind of retrofit solution to no avail. Even now there are not many solutions that are economical, or you don't have to be an engineer to attempt.

After much searching, I found a company that has different sizes, applications, and BTU's for BBQ grills, heaters, ovens etc, but that didn't charge an arm and a leg. So I bought one for under $100 and installed it in my grill. I'll send the link in a later post.

Here are a few pictures of the burner:

Good job with your modification! First off, you don't need a USA manufactured grill to know what you are doing with grilling. It sounds like you are doing just fine and about to start doing a lot better with a great option like a searing burner installed.

#5 User is offline   secrandell 

• Pip

Posted 18 June 2011 - 08:57 PM

Cooked the first steak on my new infrared burner tonight. I was a little intimidated because I had been reading that there might be a learning curve to cook the steak. I put two large T-Bones that were really closer to porterhouse size on the sear burner that I put in last week. I didn't believe it, but 4 minutes on one side was all the steak could stand. I turned them over and there was a perfect char crust showing. 4 more minutes on these 1 & 1/2 steaks and I used the inside of the base of the thumb test to check for done-ness. Since I was looking for medium rare, I took the steaks off the sear burner at 8 minutes and let them simmer on the cooler side of the grill for two minutes. Perfect Medium Rare! I rested the steaks for 5 minutes and cut into the fillet side. It was like butter. I really loved the char flavor, especially since I only put on kosher salt and pepper for seasoning. This is the best $90 I have ever spent!

#6 User is offline   Old Smokey 

• Pip

Posted 09 July 2011 - 09:13 PM

Where did you get the burner.....I am looking to do the same thing BTW nice job

Geo in BBQ land

#7 User is offline   secrandell 

• Pip

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:36 PM

View PostOld Smokey, on 09 July 2011 - 09:13 PM, said:

Where did you get the burner.....I am looking to do the same thing BTW nice job

Geo in BBQ land

EBAY I will post the site as soon as I find it.

#8 User is offline   grillhead 

• Pip

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:31 PM

Home Depot's online site sells a Cal Flame infrared burner for $68.00 each.
I bought 3 and will convert my grill as soon as they come in.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users