Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Barbecuing in my sunroom

#1 User is offline   FinsMagic 

• Pip
  • Group: Grill Mates

Posted 13 August 2011 - 03:00 PM

I was wondering whether it would be a bad idea to use a propane Weber grill inside this sunroom (or "patio room" or "Florida room" or whatever you want to call it). The room is surrounded by 3 sides of large windows that can be opened up to screens behind them. The roof is metal and the floor is concrete. The double French doors pictured below are the entrance to the house, which are about 8 feet away from where I plan to do my grilling.

I currently don't have a deck in my house, and was planning to build one in early 2012. When I get my deck built, I estimate that I will be grilling on the deck 75% of the time, and will mostly be grilling in the sunroom when it's raining. But until I get the deck built, I was planning to do all my grilling in this room. Everytime I grill in the sunroom, I do plan to open every window in the room to ensure the smoke doesn't get trapped in the room.

Will this cause any problems for my windows, screens, French doors, or roof? Also, will leaving the windows open be enough ventilation for the room?

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: french doors.JPG
  • Attached Image: sunroom.jpg

#2 User is offline   underthehood 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters
  • Interests:
    Fishing, Cooking/Grillin' and Chillin', Wrenching on cars, Finding bargains. Enjoying my grand son.

Posted 14 August 2011 - 09:02 AM

Truthfully I don't think so. I would do it.
Weber Owner
Summit 450, Genesis II (red top), Q220 (Red Top), Big Joe, 22" Kettle, Q140Electric (gave to dad), Ducane 2004, Wolf BBQ 36C

#3 User is offline   Tubby's Smokehouse 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Smoking/Grilling, Construction, Cross Country Racing, Billiards, Drummer.

Posted 14 August 2011 - 11:13 AM

View PostFinsMagic, on 13 August 2011 - 03:00 PM, said:

I was wondering whether it would be a bad idea to use a propane Weber grill inside this sunroom (or "patio room" or "Florida room" or whatever you want to call it). The room is surrounded by 3 sides of large windows that can be opened up to screens behind them. The roof is metal and the floor is concrete. The double French doors pictured below are the entrance to the house, which are about 8 feet away from where I plan to do my grilling.

I currently don't have a deck in my house, and was planning to build one in early 2012. When I get my deck built, I estimate that I will be grilling on the deck 75% of the time, and will mostly be grilling in the sunroom when it's raining. But until I get the deck built, I was planning to do all my grilling in this room. Everytime I grill in the sunroom, I do plan to open every window in the room to ensure the smoke doesn't get trapped in the room.

Will this cause any problems for my windows, screens, French doors, or roof? Also, will leaving the windows open be enough ventilation for the room?

You might want to install a large hood vent with a fan in it above the grill otherwise the smoke will discolor everything and gum up the screens, without the hood I wouldn't do it either, but many steak restaurants have large open grills with big hoods above them in the dining room so you can watch them grill.
Ducane Meridian 5 Burner, IR Rotto, Dual Side Burners, Dual Electric Warming Drawers.
CookShack Amerique Electric Smoker.
Chargriller Pro Offset Smoker.
Charmglow IR Drop in Sear Burner
New Braunfels Fire Box.

Visit Don And The Gang Here At The Source on Facebook
http://www.facebook....103762139697620

#4 User is offline   Robamus 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 August 2011 - 01:33 PM

Used to grill in a similar room, metal roof, concrete floor, screens on two sides. Worked fine.
2005 Jenn-Air 720-0016 3 Burner - NG
2007 BBQ Grillware 20K Smoker - NG
2012 22.5" Weber "Copperhead" Grill - Gold Conversion
2008 Weber Smokey Joe

3-Dog Cleanup Crew; Marley, Ginger, and Don Vito

#5 User is offline   ondagawood 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Golf & Cooking (of course !)

Posted 14 August 2011 - 02:39 PM

Yeah I agree with Tubby, you NEED an exhaust source. I've got a covered outdoor kitchen with skylights and one skylight
opens whenever I think I need to exhaust smoke, etc... Your local building codes with probably discourage you from any
kind of combustion source inside a "structure".
Good luck anyway and enjoy the smoke.
Scott
Char Broil Offset Charcoal Smoker
Fire-Magic Regal I
Single Side Burner Fire-Magic too
Magic Chef fridge
KCBS member
NBBQ member
MABBQA member
"Bikini Bar B Que Sauce" << creator

#6 User is offline   Tubby's Smokehouse 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:

Posted 14 August 2011 - 06:20 PM

I grill on my open patio set back 2-3 feet from both sides of the stucco with a 12 foot lid

stucco & patio lid need paint every year
Ducane Meridian 5 Burner, IR Rotto, Dual Side Burners, Dual Electric Warming Drawers.
New Braunfels Fire Box.

#7 User is offline   triangle172 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Guests

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:39 AM

I grill and smoke on a screen porch that is a bit more open then your sunroom as the screens go floor to ceiling. Been doing it for years. Yeah, it can gum up the wood work a little but come off with minimal effort with some Simple Green,a brush and the hose. I also have a ceiling fan that moves lingering smoke around and out.

#8 User is offline   elnisigar 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 15 August 2011 - 12:07 PM

get some mid size fan to help you exhaust the smoke out of the room

#9 User is offline   FinsMagic 

• Pip

Posted 21 August 2011 - 08:36 PM

So I ended up giving it a shot and firing up the grill in the sunroom with all the windows open and a fan to help with the exhaust. The room ended up getting way too hot and smoky, and it made it difficult for me and my family to hang out in there while I was grilling. I'm sure the reason this has worked for many of you, but not for me, is because of how enclosed my room is compared to a normal screen porch. The room's windows still take up a large section of the room even when they're open. Also, it probably didn't help that the fan I was using was pretty weak.

This weekend, I ended up putting down several stones in my backyard to put my grill on. It will have to do until I build a deck. Thanks everybody for the advice.

#10 User is offline   Tubby's Smokehouse 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:

Posted 21 August 2011 - 09:05 PM

View PostFinsMagic, on 21 August 2011 - 08:36 PM, said:

So I ended up giving it a shot and firing up the grill in the sunroom with all the windows open and a fan to help with the exhaust. The room ended up getting way too hot and smoky, and it made it difficult for me and my family to hang out in there while I was grilling. I'm sure the reason this has worked for many of you, but not for me, is because of how enclosed my room is compared to a normal screen porch. The room's windows still take up a large section of the room even when they're open. Also, it probably didn't help that the fan I was using was pretty weak.

This weekend, I ended up putting down several stones in my backyard to put my grill on. It will have to do until I build a deck. Thanks everybody for the advice.

Thats kinda what I was thinking Magic, seeing as how my patio is wide open and the lid and sides of the house get blackened, a big range hood would most likely handle it (works inside restaurants).

Maybe in bad weather hump the gill into the sunroom so its not exposed to the weather.............

jim
New Braunfels Fire Box.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users