BBQ Source Forums: Napoleon Prestige P500RSIB or Weber Genesis CEP-330? - BBQ Source Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Napoleon Prestige P500RSIB or Weber Genesis CEP-330?

#1 User is offline   jimbobjoe 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:13 AM

Looking at a new grill and came across a deal where I can get the Prestige in NG for $1200 (Im in Canada). The Weber Genesis is the same price in NG. From everything I can find this seems like a no brainer to go Napoleon - any concerns I should have here? I have never owned a Napoleon before. I do read concerns about service on Napoleon in the States, but in Canada seems to not be an issue.

The Weber dealer did mention that he didnt like the infrared side burner on the Napoleon as if you are using it and it rained on it the ceramic could crack? He liked the Weber version better with the sear station between the main burners. Is this a legitimate concern?

Any other comparables I should consider?

Here are the specs on each - any insight greatly appreciated. My inexperienced opinion is leaning towards the Napoleon with the two extra main burners, the separate sear station, the rotisserie kit and burner included. Other then that they seem to be very similar.

Prestige

http://www.bbqs.com/...ner-p-1593.html

Limited Lifetime Warranty
500 square inch main cooking surface (28" x 17 1/2")
160 square inch upper warming rack
660 total square inches of cooking surface
48,000 BTU's on 4 main burners made from 304 stainless steel
18,000 BTU rear rotisserie burner
12,500 BTU infrared side burner
Rotisserie kit included
Porcelain cast iron cooking grills
Space saving LIFT EASE roll top lid
Stainless steel lid with matching front doors
Sturdy galvanized cart with baked on powder coat paint, enclosed on 3 sides with front opening doors.
Solid brass valves with insect protected venturi
Stainless steel tubular handle and ergonomic knobs
Stainless steel side shelves

Genesis

http://www.bbqs.com/...ack-p-1324.html

3 main burners, total 39,000 BTU's, provides the most even heat.
12,000 BTU flush mounted side burner.
10,000 BTU sear station burner.
637 square inches of total cooking area.
507 square inches of primary cooking area plus 130 square inches of warming rack space.
Main cooking area = 26" wide X 19" deep.
9 mm EXTRA HEAVY ROD style stainless steel cooking grills.
Stainless steel Flavorizer bars.
Centre mounted industrial grade thermometer.
Patented Spider Stopper guards keep burners clear of insects and spider webs.
Assembled size - height 65, width 60, depth 30 (measurements with lid open)

#2 User is offline   vitalsignsrn 

• Pip

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:01 AM

Hi Jim,

I have been scanning your post for some time and not ONE response. I'm dismayed at this. I have scoured as many posts as I could to answer those very same questions you have. I even looked at as many vids on Yu Toob as I could. I joined so I could post my concerns but then I wasnt able to put up my post. :-(

My dilemma was the Pro 600 vs Pro 500 vs Weber 670. I went to a shop in Oakville and checked all 3 of them out. At 1st I was looking at Weber (this is a special gift to my brother) and he had mentioned Weber in the past. My instinct then was to look at Weber since he himself mentioned he wanted one. Luckily for me, I overheard him talking to our cousin yesterday and he said he was now looking at Napoleon because he wasnt happy with the Webers. Plus, my cousin had an outdoor kitchen done and he used Napoleon products and I think that helped seal the deal with my brother in terms of Napoleon vs Weber. Whew!

I didnt have any kind of scientific method in trying to buy one. As you know, its more of a gut feeling backed up by some #'s to backup value for the money. I played with all 3 of those bbq's for a while and picked the brain of the store manager (thanks David at Oakville BBQGalore), he was fantastic and when asked an opinion, didnt fall back into the vague salesman routine, he gave his opinion. I liked the 670, but I didnt like the price hike from the Pro600. And the one in the store had warped grills. When I opened the lid I could see that some of the ends were not making contact with the inner rim. I have seen this on a vid on Yu Toob too. A guy has a Weber and shows his grills inside not making contact. The grill looks untampered with and in good shape. So not sure about this. All have different points that are desirable/less desirable.

Narrowed it down to the Napoleon only. So, Pro500 or 600. Came down to size cause apples to apples, same bbq. I like the look of the Pro series versus just the p500 series. Seems a little more refined with the nice base. SOOOO...what did I end up with...originally ordered the Pro500. I called today to change the order to a PRO 600. It was a few hundred more, but he now has a great bbq. And...a BIG bbq at primary 600sq in. and about a 200or so on warming rack. He loves to cook inside and now with this bbq, I am sure his imagination will be limitless. I polled almost everyone I knew about the relevance of a rotisserie or not. My cousin and his wife last night both emphatically said "yes" to getting the rotisserie or not. They say they use it a lot. The only gimmicky thing about the bbq is that ice cooler with the cutting board. David, manager, said a lot of people dont use it for that reason, although some do. But he has heard people using it for trimming off meats/chicken, cutting veggies and putting it in bin keeping kitchen counters free and clear of residues. He said people use it as a marinade box. Can put ice on bottom and put fish it in getting it out of kitchen (no smell). He said a lot of people will make up skewers and load em in the box. Hmm..I guess not so gimmiky if you use your imagination. LOL Oh, I also liked the size of the warming rack on the Napoleons. The Weber ones are super narrow, even on the 670. I have had a Napoleon going on 8 yrs now and had no problems with it. Its an older model, not sure what # it is, it had resin, heat resistent shelving on the sides. I was a bit biased going in to my decision on which to buy but grateful in the end, my brother made it for me. I really like the roll top lid, which mine has as well. At 5'2" the lids on the Webers were pulling my arms of their sockets. LOL My brother is taller he wont have any issues, but the roll top lid was easer to open and close.

If I am able to post, will post when it gets delivered next week. I am sorry I dont have pics of it or have any cooking opinions. I did want to respond to your post. To me, the Napoleon Pro 500 was a better value than the genesis.

Good luck to you. Dont delay too long in getting your bbq. The weather is good. Even though one day its 20 and the next day its 2. LOL

Vitalsignsrn
Toronto, Ontario

jimbobjoe, on 21 March 2012 - 09:13 AM, said:

Looking at a new grill and came across a deal where I can get the Prestige in NG for $1200 (Im in Canada). The Weber Genesis is the same price in NG. From everything I can find this seems like a no brainer to go Napoleon - any concerns I should have here? I have never owned a Napoleon before. I do read concerns about service on Napoleon in the States, but in Canada seems to not be an issue.

The Weber dealer did mention that he didnt like the infrared side burner on the Napoleon as if you are using it and it rained on it the ceramic could crack? He liked the Weber version better with the sear station between the main burners. Is this a legitimate concern?

Here are the specs on each - any insight greatly appreciated. My inexperienced opinion is leaning towards the Napoleon with the two extra main burners, the separate sear station, the rotisserie kit and burner included. Other then that they seem to be very similar.

Prestige

Rotisserie kit included
Sturdy galvanized cart with baked on powder coat paint, enclosed on 3 sides with front opening doors.

Genesis

507 square inches of primary cooking area plus 130 square inches of warming rack space.

#3 User is offline   vitalsignsrn 

• Pip

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:10 AM

Oh I am sorry! Just saw you were looking at the P500 not the Pro 500. I saw that one too. I wanted stainless steel on both inner grills and searing station. Once I got the price for upgrading those, basically was the price of the Pro 500. The Pro500 is about $17-1800 for SS. I think the P500SIB was the same price as you have at bbq galore.

Have a good day...
Vitalsignsrn

#4 User is offline   Tubby's Smokehouse 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters
  • Interests:
    Smoking/Grilling, Construction, Cross Country Racing, Billiards, Drummer.

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:29 AM

jimbobjoe, on 21 March 2012 - 09:13 AM, said:

Prestige

Rotisserie kit included

Genesis

In your situation my pick would be the Napoleon, 1200 is a bit pricey for the 330, my preference would be that IR rotto burner and side IR station, the Weber dealers comment on cracking the inferred IR in a down pour is some what legitimate, but how often will you be in an un covered area in a down pour searing steaks.

jim
Ducane Meridian 5 Burner, IR Rotto, Dual Side Burners, Dual Electric Warming Drawers.
CookShack Amerique Electric Smoker.
Chargriller Pro Offset Smoker.
Charmglow IR Drop in Sear Burner
New Braunfels Fire Box.

Visit Don And The Gang Here At The Source on Facebook
http://www.facebook....103762139697620

#5 User is offline   vitalsignsrn 

• Pip

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:07 PM

The problem in Canada is that the Webers are much higher priced and so it becomes a game of tales between 2 companies. I was in the store with 2 other couples and another man. We were all looking at Napoleons and the biggest topic (since we started talking to each other to get some viewpoints) was value for the dollar.

And unlike you guys in the U.S...we have very limited online shopping avenues. No point ordering in the U.S..we would have to deal with duties and brokerage fees etc. :-(

VitalSignsrn..

#6 User is offline   ChrisP 

• Pip
  • Group: Grill Mates

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:02 PM

I'm agonizing over this same selection...P500RSIB vs. CEP-330

Unfortunately, there isn't much information available on the Napoleon with it being such a new model.

I'm also still considering saving the additional money and putting the EP-330 into the mix, as the stainless cabinet isn't a huge deal for me and the price increase to step up to the CEP over the EP will more than cover the cost of the 9mm grates should I decide I want to add them at a later date (although many members here are grilling with outstanding results on the EP line)..

Dealers with the Napoleon Mirage line and Weber all seem to say 'Weber'....dealers here in Canada with both Napoleon Prestige and Weber seem to lean Napoleon (based on more features for the dollar when comparing Prestige vs. CEP, as well as some dealers who claim that the SS in the Napoleon is of a superior grade)...

For NG:
$1299 for the Napoleon P500RSIB
$1199 for the Weber CEP-330
$~870 for the Weber EP-330

#7 User is offline   ChrisP 

• Pip

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:35 PM

Ended up pulling the tigger on an S330NG for $815 ... For the $$$ I had to....

The price difference for the heavier grate of the CEP or the extra features of the Napoleon couldn't be justified for me when I see the results and satisfaction of the US customers on their S and EP series grills...

I pick it up Friday...just in time for the long weekend...and plan an buying many quality cuts of meat with the spare dollars...

#8 User is offline   richlife 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Woodworking, my daughter's family (2 grandsons), my wife of 44 years, the grilling/smoking life, Affenpinshers Dante (my Tonto) and Mia (who after 2 years still don't trust NOBODY :<), Tar Heel sports, music and home theater.

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:36 PM

ChrisP, on 12 May 2012 - 01:35 PM, said:

Ended up pulling the tigger on an S330NG for $815 ... For the $$$ I had to....

The price difference for the heavier grate of the CEP or the extra features of the Napoleon couldn't be justified for me when I see the results and satisfaction of the US customers on their S and EP series grills...

I pick it up Friday...just in time for the long weekend...and plan an buying many quality cuts of meat with the spare dollars...

Chris, I think you'll be very happy with your choice! I'm not in any way bad mouthing the Napoleon -- they have a good reputation in the US for quality -- just a problem with service here. I don't know if you'll have servicing problems with the Weber in Canada, but it's hard for me to imagine a need for anything but parts -- someday in the distant future.

At that price difference I don't know how you can lose. Frankly, I consider the 9mm vs. 7mm grates a "nice to have". You can get even heavier grates from rcplanebuyer on eBay if it means much. And for less combined cost than the Napoleon price you quoted -- or the CEP for that matter.

Now about the grill you bought. First of all, what color? :P I have to tell you (and maybe you saw my threads) that I think my EP-330 is fantastic! Don't like the narrow bun warmer? Go buy some cheap parts at any big box building supply and make a second tier any size you like -- even in the Great Up North it can't cost more than $20 total. Sure you're still missing a rotisserie, but you've got a great grill to play with and when the opportunity comes...

I'm sorry you guys up there had problems getting a response here about your dilemma. And I'm glad jim (Tubby's Smokehouse) chipped in -- his word is gospel. The difficulty is the cost and support for Napoleons in the lower 48, so not many can help with a recommendation.

Let us hear about your experiences with your new grill. And enclose pics!!

Rich B)
DID YOU KNOW?: To see ALL recent BBQ Source posts since your last visit, click on "View New Content" at the top of the page.
If this post was fun or helpful, consider a donation to The BBQ Source .

UNC Tar Heel '69, '75 -- Retired computer guy, Woodworker/carver
- Weber Genesis EP-330 (Brick Red) w/ SS cabinet and table extensions, 18.5 Weber Smokey Mountain Smoker (2010 Model) / WSM Egg

#9 User is offline   ChrisP 

• Pip

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:58 PM

Ended up with S330....stainless.... Via big box discount promo and price match...

I contacted a couple dealers and they were unwilling to move a dime....otherwise I always try to support the dedicated shops.

The Napoleon Prestige line is a stronger offering than the Mirage most in the US seem to be more familiar with....and it is incredibly well supported in candawhile costing less than in the US....however still more than the Genesis line...

Features, design, materials etc seem to lot it in between the genesis and summit....but again....you can't argue with he results the genesis community gets...and there is much more Weber talk and support for questions,device etc...

I'm looking forward to it...although really I don't think that there was a bad choice within the list

#10 User is offline   richlife 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Woodworking, my daughter's family (2 grandsons), my wife of 44 years, the grilling/smoking life, Affenpinshers Dante (my Tonto) and Mia (who after 2 years still don't trust NOBODY :<), Tar Heel sports, music and home theater.

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:08 AM

ChrisP, on 12 May 2012 - 10:58 PM, said:

Ended up with S330....stainless.... Via big box discount promo and price match...

I contacted a couple dealers and they were unwilling to move a dime....otherwise I always try to support the dedicated shops.

The Napoleon Prestige line is a stronger offering than the Mirage most in the US seem to be more familiar with....and it is incredibly well supported in candawhile costing less than in the US....however still more than the Genesis line...

Features, design, materials etc seem to lot it in between the genesis and summit....but again....you can't argue with he results the genesis community gets...and there is much more Weber talk and support for questions,device etc...

I'm looking forward to it...although really I don't think that there was a bad choice within the list

Looking forward to those pics and results, Chris! Just to add one more encouragement, my Mothers Day standing rib came out fantastically. A new thread to be added soon.

Rich
DID YOU KNOW?: To see ALL recent BBQ Source posts since your last visit, click on "View New Content" at the top of the page.

- Weber Genesis EP-330 (Brick Red) w/ SS cabinet and table extensions, 18.5 Weber Smokey Mountain Smoker (2010 Model) / WSM Egg

#11 User is offline   Gail K. 

• Pip

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:49 PM

Hi there, I know I'm late to this discussion, but I just wanted to clear up a few misconceptions that I read in the thread. I'm with Napoleon Appliance (and now I am going to brag a bit... okay...a lot) but I know that we offer the same stellar service to our American customers as we do our Canadian Customers. As an example we have a direct toll free # to our warranty department + overnight shipping...call us at 1-866-820-8686. As a matter of fact, our P500 grill will soon be made in our Factory in Kentucky.
We are very excited about the P500 and PRO500 line of grills and we are receiving great feed back from our happy satisfied customers. So Chris, I may be too late to influence your decision between a Napoleon or a Weber....but for all of you out there sitting on the same fence call me or ask me anything and I will be happy to help.
Until later,
Gail K
Product Specialist, Grill Division

#12 User is offline   richlife 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:02 AM

Gail K., on 31 October 2012 - 03:49 PM, said:

Hi there, I know I'm late to this discussion, but I just wanted to clear up a few misconceptions that I read in the thread. I'm with Napoleon Appliance (and now I am going to brag a bit... okay...a lot) but I know that we offer the same stellar service to our American customers as we do our Canadian Customers. As an example we have a direct toll free # to our warranty department + overnight shipping...call us at 1-866-820-8686. As a matter of fact, our P500 grill will soon be made in our Factory in Kentucky.
We are very excited about the P500 and PRO500 line of grills and we are receiving great feed back from our happy satisfied customers. So Chris, I may be too late to influence your decision between a Napoleon or a Weber....but for all of you out there sitting on the same fence call me or ask me anything and I will be happy to help.
Until later,
Gail K
Product Specialist, Grill Division

Gail, Welcome to The Source!

I'm no longer on the fence either, but I'm happy to have someone here who can talk to the Napoleon line. Actually, I never was on the fence -- the Genesis 330 was my choice from the gitgo, but one of the specific reasons I never looked elsewhere is that there was apparently no other comparable alternative. We have heard so much about Napoleon being a great line but having so little support in the US, that I never considered it. Most of those I heard about that were considering Napoleon gave up because they could get little or no info on the equipment or get positive information related to US support.

So again, welcome. It would be good for folks to have a viable alternative to Weber (you can tell there are a lot of Weber fans here). And frankly, every company needs competition -- I hope Napoleon can provide that.

Rich

#13 User is offline   Gail K. 

• Pip

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:50 AM

richlife, on 01 November 2012 - 09:02 AM, said:

Gail, Welcome to The Source!

I'm no longer on the fence either, but I'm happy to have someone here who can talk to the Napoleon line. Actually, I never was on the fence -- the Genesis 330 was my choice from the gitgo, but one of the specific reasons I never looked elsewhere is that there was apparently no other comparable alternative. We have heard so much about Napoleon being a great line but having so little support in the US, that I never considered it. Most of those I heard about that were considering Napoleon gave up because they could get little or no info on the equipment or get positive information related to US support.

So again, welcome. It would be good for folks to have a viable alternative to Weber (you can tell there are a lot of Weber fans here). And frankly, every company needs competition -- I hope Napoleon can provide that.

Rich

#14 User is offline   Gail K. 

• Pip

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:07 AM

Thanks Rich, It's nice to feel welcomed (even in Weber Land)! With our huge factory and warehouse facility in Kentucky the Napoleon Product is in a great position to provide competition. Every day we receive calls from all over North America asking about our product. Potential customers comparing our product to other lines....in the end it is usually our warranty that will help them decide that a Napoleon is the way to go!
I hope to be able to provide an inside perspective on the product and the company...so, for all of you grilling enthusiasts who are in the need to know mode....just ask and I will happily respond!
Great to be here!
Gail K.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users