• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Lynx or Fire Magic please help !!

#1 User is offline   Denaliman 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:11 PM

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post in this forum. Thank you for putting a great resource together for all of us. I have run a search, but could not come up with anything. I would like some help, I am looking at buying a new grill. I want a higher end grill and have narrowed my choices to the Fire Magic e790 Echelon (36") and the Lynx 36" prosear models in Natural Gas. Both are "on cart" models. I cannot decide and was hoping that some of the members here could chime in on their opinions and why... pros/cons. I am also hoping that someone that owns/owned either of these grills could give some review feedback. I looked at several higher end grills and these are my choices. I can get both at about the same cost (Lynx $250 less) I really like the design of the Lynx and the clean lines and the prosear feature, although I am not sure if I really need the sear on a grill like this since I am assuming, and was told, it gets plenty hot to sear on the grids?? The Fire Magic is also a nice looking grill although IMO not as "elegant" as the Lynx. The Fire Magic has a solid reputation, great warranty and the build is outstanding . The Fire Magic also has a side burner which I do use, heat zone separators and some electronic gadgetry. Both use different cooking systems for heat distribution, the Lynx ceramic briquettes and the Fire Magic sear/flavor plates. Which method is better at controlling even heat and has less flare up potential? I am really on the fence on choosing.

Thank you for your help!

as an after note, I cook a variety of foods. Lots of steak, shrimp, fish, chicken & ribs and grill veggies and regular burger fare. I do use the rotis and like to add smoker chips for some foods, I also BBQ all year even in our Canadian winters.

#2 User is offline   Denaliman 

• Pip

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:14 PM

No one??

#3 User is offline   underthehood 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters
  • Interests:
    Fishing, Cooking/Grillin' and Chillin', Wrenching on cars, Finding bargains. Enjoying my grand son.

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:46 PM

Sorry but I think most of us wish we could afford your problem ;)
Weber Owner
Summit 450, Genesis II (red top), Q220 (Red Top), Big Joe, 22" Kettle, Q140Electric (gave to dad), Ducane 2004, Wolf BBQ 36C

#4 User is offline   J4yDubs 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Mates

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:45 PM

View PostDenaliman, on 12 April 2012 - 08:11 PM, said:

as an after note, I cook a variety of foods. Lots of steak, shrimp, fish, chicken & ribs and grill veggies and regular burger fare. I do use the rotis and like to add smoker chips for some foods, I also BBQ all year even in our Canadian winters.

I don't have first hand experience with either, but I doubt you can go wrong these choices. The only recommendation I can give you is to have the Fire Magic dealer remove one of the burners and hand it to you. The burners are massively over built and will easily last a lifetime. I can do without the electronic gizmo's, but I was very impressed with the Fire Magic grills I saw.

John

#5 User is offline   richlife 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Woodworking, my daughter's family (2 grandsons), my wife of 44 years, the grilling/smoking life, Affenpinshers Dante (my Tonto) and Mia (who after 2 years still don't trust NOBODY :<), Tar Heel sports, music and home theater.

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:44 PM

View Postunderthehood, on 14 April 2012 - 03:46 PM, said:

Sorry but I think most of us wish we could afford your problem ;)

+1
DID YOU KNOW?: To see ALL recent BBQ Source posts since your last visit, click on "View New Content" at the top of the page.
If this post was fun or helpful, consider a donation to The BBQ Source .

UNC Tar Heel '69, '75 -- Retired computer guy, Woodworker/carver
- Weber Genesis EP-330 (Brick Red) w/ SS cabinet and table extensions, 18.5 Weber Smokey Mountain Smoker (2010 Model) / WSM Egg

#6 User is offline   Super 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:05 PM

you live in the northland, eh?
how about Napoleon?

Kevin

#7 User is offline   yooper829 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Grilling!
    Helping people on the bbq-source forum! (sometimes whether they want help or not!!)
    Computers!
    Traveling!

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:40 AM

I'm not so sure on the Lynx since it has the prosear burner taking up 1/2 your grilling space. I know there has been the debate here on the forum regarding infra-red burners....so something worth searching and reading on here. I guess alot has to do with your grilling habits and how many you grill for and will the extra space be missed. And also not sure about the briquette design....seems kind of old school and you would think more prone to flare ups but since I have not seen either grill firsthand that's just my opinion! I also think the reputation and knowledge of the dealer your purchasing from has to come into play as well, since grills of this caliber (lots of bells, whistles, electronics, ect) will need service down the road just like any other grill. You'll want someone your confident will be there for you after the sale. Good luck on your new grill!
2009 WEBER Summit S670 NG
2010 WEBER Performer Charcoal-Brick Red

Help support the BBQ Source Forums,Click here to make a donation

#8 User is offline   Denaliman 

• Pip

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:09 AM

Thanks for all your input. I decided on the Fire Magic E790. I opted not to get the IR burner for now. I can always add one later.

#9 User is offline   J4yDubs 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Mates

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:42 PM

View PostDenaliman, on 04 May 2012 - 07:09 AM, said:

Thanks for all your input. I decided on the Fire Magic E790. I opted not to get the IR burner for now. I can always add one later.

Very nice! Congrats. That grill will last you a lifetime.

John

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users