BBQ Source Forums: Let me ask this again- Is my grill safe or is there a problem? - BBQ Source Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Let me ask this again- Is my grill safe or is there a problem?

#1 User is offline   sofasurfer 

• Pip
  • Group: Grill Mates

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:05 PM

An earlier post was "why do my burners leak flame". It did not get much response and I think it was a badly worded post. So I am going to ask again and supply a better picture.

Lowes Bar-b-q Grillware model 2616. I just got new burners for it. I installed them and when I click the ignitor I get a tall, yellow flame danceing on the top of the "collector box" (see, I've learned some new terminology since last time). It usually does not last long but sometimes it does. I removed the firebox and turned it over to get a good view. I wonder if this collector box is leaking. You may be be able to see in the photo that there is a seam that runs the length of the collector box. Looks to me like it SHOULD leak. Anyway, whatever it is, does the gas to the collector box run continuously or does it shut off after the burner lites?

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: dcp_3778.jpg
  • Attached Image: dcp_3779.jpg
  • Attached Image: dcp_3780.jpg

#2 User is offline   sofasurfer 

• Pip
  • Group: Grill Mates

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:22 PM

I hooked it back up but kept the firebox raised up so I could see what exactly is happening. Indeed, the flame is coming out of the seam on the collector. The flame is also touching the ignitor wires, although they are not burned. And it does look as though the ignitor looses fuel after the burner lites. So, should I replace the collector boxes? I do not understand why they are manufactured with a seam if it is not supposed to leak. Hmmmmm.

View Postsofasurfer, on 24 April 2012 - 06:05 PM, said:

An earlier post was "why do my burners leak flame". It did not get much response and I think it was a badly worded post. So I am going to ask again and supply a better picture.

Lowes Bar-b-q Grillware model 2616. I just got new burners for it. I installed them and when I click the ignitor I get a tall, yellow flame danceing on the top of the "collector box" (see, I've learned some new terminology since last time). It usually does not last long but sometimes it does. I removed the firebox and turned it over to get a good view. I wonder if this collector box is leaking. You may be be able to see in the photo that there is a seam that runs the length of the collector box. Looks to me like it SHOULD leak. Anyway, whatever it is, does the gas to the collector box run continuously or does it shut off after the burner lites?

#3 User is offline   Ronald 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:
    Fishing, Cooking

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:20 AM

View Postsofasurfer, on 24 April 2012 - 06:05 PM, said:

Yes there is a problem
Burners should not leak flame
That is usually a sign of blockage of some type
Have you done the following
1 Checked the entire grill for spider webs
2 Checked the entire grill for insects
3 Made sure you checked the burners foe obstructions before you installed them
4 Made sure they are the right burners
5 Made sure you put the burners in the right way
6 Made sure you cleaned the grill
SUPPORT THE BBQ SOURCE

2008 Weber Spirit SP320 + Weber Cast Iron Griddle
2014 Traeger Jr Smoker
2012 Char-griller Akorn Steel Kamado
Coleman Roadtrip Sport grill
Happy owner of a Great Outdoors Ironware Gas Grill A05714W(a CFM company) retired to brother in-law

Go RavensPosted Image

Super Bowl XXXV, XLVII CHAMPIONS

#4 User is offline   yooper829 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters
  • Interests:
    Grilling!
    Helping people on the bbq-source forum! (sometimes whether they want help or not!!)
    Computers!
    Traveling!

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:03 PM

So this just started after changing the burners? Have you tried putting the old burners back in and seeing if this does not occur? If it does not I would have to blame the new burners...maybe too small of a diameter and or too small of ports in the burners? Just a thought!
2009 WEBER Summit S670 NG
2010 WEBER Performer Charcoal-Brick Red

Help support the BBQ Source Forums,Click here to make a donation

#5 User is offline   Super 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:05 AM

to answer your question does the gas to the collector stay on all the time? yes it will unless you have a seperate light position or detent built into the burner gas control

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users